OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
hardflip
Plunket75
msmith275
dcottingham38
JoeD
lovmilinsig
H338
jimmyduncan23
airborne1968
piola74
reaperm120
rsunday
JKin
sindre bp
kriegsmodell
aussie digger
ladrang
Beppe_goodoldrebel
MyZone
Misanthropic_Gods
JYN
Mercenary25
vicka1971
Nkomo
zvez
Iraqi Militaria
bond007a1
31 posters

Afghan National Army Commando Patches

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Empty Re: Afghan National Army Commando Patches

Post by Mercenary25 Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 F910e410
    U.S. Special Forces soldiers, attached to Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-Afghanistan, prepare to enter and clear a room while conducting a close-quarter battle drill at a shoot house, Kabul province, Afghanistan, Jan. 23, 2014. USSF use these drills to maintain and improve skills during joint operations with Afghan forces. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Connor Mendez/Released)

I have never seen this type of patch before. Shape and tabs are same but interior design is slightly different. Any idea?
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Empty Re: Afghan National Army Commando Patches

Post by Nkomo Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Never seen it either, Merc. However, I'm sure it will show up on Ebay in the next few days or weeks.
    msmith275
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by msmith275 Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:29 pm

It looks like it says "Instructor" to me. That makes sense given the evolution of the ANA Commando mission over time. Man, would love to get one of those as I'm really interested in the ANA CDO insignia worn by US SOF. I have gotten a bunch of the different variants now, but have never come across this one. The number 2 man also looks like he's got an interesting patch on his helmet.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:01 pm

I haven't been able to find it anywhere. The number 2 guy is wearing "Don't tread on me" morale patch made by Milspec Monkey.
    msmith275
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by msmith275 Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Ah so. Well, that CDO Instructor is going on the BOLO list! I'll send out a capture/kill tasking on it. It's got to be at Camp Morehead but I have got a lot of stuff from there, including pictures of the insides of sew shop, and have never seen it. I will report any success. Thanks.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:35 pm

I finally found a newest version of Commando patch as shown in photos above.

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Img_0210
    aussie digger
    aussie digger

Post by aussie digger Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:30 am

Nice addition mate! Am yet to track down this version myself.
    Plunket75
    Plunket75
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by Plunket75 Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:03 pm

Great thread guys, don't know why I just found it.  Here are some of my Afghan Commando patches I recently picked up.

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 AfghanSOF_zps3fd9ea13

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 AfghanSOF2_zps60669351

And here is just one of the patch shops I've been buying them from...

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 KabulPatchShopnu21_zps80b4aaed
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Those are some sexy variety! Thanks for sharing.
    aussie digger
    aussie digger

Post by aussie digger Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Nice additions there!
    Plunket75
    Plunket75
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by Plunket75 Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Here's two more I picked up today...

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Anasfpatches_zpsfda5bb9e

and the display cabinet I got them from...

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Incabinet_zps6db235cf
    hardflip
    hardflip
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by hardflip Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:14 pm

Recent additions, one missing though.

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 2qJgGN
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Here is a used Afghan Commando patch from a MARSOC patch grouping.  You see plenty of new Afghan Commando patches for sale, but used ones don't pop up as often.

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 00247
    airborne1968
    airborne1968
    Staff Sergeant Class II
    Staff Sergeant Class II

Post by airborne1968 Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 pm

You said it! Used Commando patches are a rare bird. I think I've only found 2 or 3 myself. Tom
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:33 pm

airborne1968 wrote:You said it! Used Commando patches are a rare bird. I think I've only found 2 or 3 myself. Tom
    Tom,
    Thanks for the comment. I wonder why used patches are so hard to find? Any idea?
    Grey Marine82
    Grey Marine82
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by Grey Marine82 Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Very nice! Thank you for sharing!
    airborne1968
    airborne1968
    Staff Sergeant Class II
    Staff Sergeant Class II

Post by airborne1968 Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:52 am

I'm thinking so few (this is the key part of it "FEW") were used by American's that most remained in the original owners hands. Being Velcro they just moved it to the next uniform. The Afghan owned patches weren't given up either. The nice new ones are all sew shop purchases. Also, keep in mind the patch didn't come out until around 2007 and was only used by the Afghan's for the first few years so that narrows the window of use even more. Also, the local markets (not the sew shops) were banned from reselling ANA patches ( along with uniforms, boots, and gear) sometime in 2010 which prevented a lot of used patches from entering the collector market. A lot of my used patches came from market vendors who would get them from ANA members because I asked for them and they had to "smuggle" them in to BAF. Tom
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Grey Marine82 wrote:Very nice! Thank you for sharing!
    Thank you kindly, sir!
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:53 pm

airborne1968 wrote:I'm thinking so few (this is the key part of it "FEW") were used by American's that most remained in the original owners hands. Being Velcro they just moved it to the next uniform.  The Afghan owned  patches weren't given up either.  The nice new ones are all sew shop purchases.  Also, keep in mind the patch didn't come out until around 2007 and was only used by the Afghan's for the first few years so that narrows the window of use even more. Also, the local markets (not the sew shops) were banned from reselling ANA patches ( along with uniforms, boots, and gear) sometime in 2010 which prevented a lot of used patches from entering the collector market.  A lot of my used patches came from market vendors who would get them from ANA members because I asked for them and they had to "smuggle" them in to BAF.  Tom
    Great information and great explanation. Thanks, Tom.
    msmith275
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by msmith275 Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi, I was going to post these on my "Afghan Made SOF Patches" thread, but they seem a lot more appropriate to post here. Some great patches and reference photos you guys have posted here!  Great work!

These are all from the Kabul area - the ones with the gray "loop" velcro rectangles are from Camp Morehead at the commando training base.  I like the one piece versus two piece variants - the different colored borders or letters on the patches.  All are velcro backed except the one piece at the bottom left of the first photo.  

I choose to include these in my USSOF collection just because there is such complete documentation of the guys wearing all of these.  Our SOF community has a long history of that all the way back to WW2.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, A.I.D.O. is Afghan Information Dissemination Operations. It starts with a month-long information operations course for commandos at Morehead.

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Afghan10

Again, the same one piece versus two piece variants - but what I think is neat here is the smaller sized versions along the bottom row. According to a source at Camp Morehead, these are to bring the big patches down more to the typical SSI size of US patches.  

I put the APU (Afghan Partnering Unit) here as well, but I plan on posting several APU patches as a group later. APU is their Tier 1 SMU.

Also I love the Ranger variant without the SF tab.  No doubt a 75th RRgt NCO got stuck there as an LNO and said "This is B.S.! We need a Ranger patch!"

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Afghan11
    hardflip
    hardflip
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by hardflip Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:24 am

Got the last of the three, thanks G!

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Wp_20111
    msmith275
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by msmith275 Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:41 am

hardflip wrote:Got the last of the three, thanks G!

Very nice!!!! If anyone has any more of this version (Red Patch/Red Tabs) I would be interested in trading as I do not have that variant.

Good post! Thanks,

Mark
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 am

Crazy number of variations for all patches in GWOT; a guy could spend a lifetime collecting patches from this war and never get them all. Thanks for sharing!
    airborne1968
    airborne1968
    Staff Sergeant Class II
    Staff Sergeant Class II

Post by airborne1968 Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:21 am

Posted this in another section as well but yesterday I picked these two patches up.  The AIDO tab is connected to the commando patch (all one piece).  They walked into my honey hole and are from a local "trash collector" who brings in mil items he finds around town which the vets (or their family members) throw out. The owner called me about them and I bought them. I don't need two so I'll be listing to trade one for the two different psyop horse patches. Tom

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Afg_ai11
    aussie digger
    aussie digger

Post by aussie digger Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Some great additions there! I love the miniature versions!
    msmith275
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by msmith275 Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:54 pm

aussie digger wrote:Some great additions there! I love the miniature versions!

From what I've seen, the minis seem most prevalent on ball caps and helmets, although there are a couple examples I've seen on the chest.
    aussie digger
    aussie digger

Post by aussie digger Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Yeah definetly most common on headgear though I remember seeing some on a black jacket and worn on the Velcro on mag pouches. You truly have some great patches there!
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Nice collection Mark!

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    msmith275
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Empty APU Patches

Post by msmith275 Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:14 pm

Some recent arrivals!

Interesting in that these are smaller than I've seen before.  The larger is 80mm, the smaller is only 70mm.

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 Afghan12
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:23 pm

Another picture from the collection. MARSOC used Afghan Commando patch.

Afghan National Army Commando Patches - Page 6 00515

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am