OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Zeked
Mercenary25
kriegsmodell
aussie digger
Nkomo
9 posters

Upcoming November Display - Thoughts

Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Upcoming November Display - Thoughts Empty Upcoming November Display - Thoughts

Post by Nkomo Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Back in May 2012, I did a display for our local musuem about US Special Forces in Afghanistan and it was a success, so I am going back this year in November. Since this year is the tenth anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, I figured I'd go with an OIF themed display.

What I need your advice on is what would mannequin displays would you like to see if you were attending? What divisions? What units? What time period (i.e. 2003 to 2005 or 2003 to 2010)?

I will probably have ten half mannequins and one full mannequin to work with. So far, I have decided to do the following: 52nd Ordnance Group, Blackwater contractor, and USAF JTAC. The rest of the mannequins are pretty much open. Any thoughts or comments are welcome.
    aussie digger
    aussie digger

Upcoming November Display - Thoughts Empty Re: Upcoming November Display - Thoughts

Post by aussie digger Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:06 am

Being the 10th anniversary I think it would be good to see a display in chronological order showing the changing gear and equipment as the conflict evolved.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Upcoming November Display - Thoughts Empty Re: Upcoming November Display - Thoughts

Post by Nkomo Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 am

aussie digger wrote:Being the 10th anniversary I think it would be good to see a display in chronological order showing the changing gear and equipment as the conflict evolved.
    I will have to give that some thought. A very ambitious undertaking.
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:44 am

Just some random thoughts:

- 173rd Airborne Brigade - Operation Northern Delay

- 2nd or 25th Infantry Division - Stryker Brigade with CCU or CU

- 3rd Infantry Division - Early drive on Baghdad

- USMC - Either drive on Baghdad or Fallujah

- 1st Cavalry Division - Fallujah

- An ACU set patched to a state National Guard or Reserve Unit

- A Sniper set - Counterinsurgency Operations Al Anbar Province

- A MP set - Any Period

- A Special Forces set - Advisor to IASF

I know that these are rough, but just some thoughts .......

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:08 am

kriegsmodell wrote:

- A MP set - Any Period

Some great ideas there, Lance. I am definitely going to do an MP display, but am not sure whether to do an Army MP, USAF SF, or Marine MP. I have all three set ups, so no worries.

I am definitely doing a SF set up as well and that one will probably be the full mannequin.

I had thought about the ACU with a NG patch, but the single modern uniform they have in the museum is a Kentucky NG ACU set. Plenty of WW2 and Civil War militaria there, but modern militaria from the GWOT is grossly under represented.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:06 pm

Don't forget MOPP gear!
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:11 pm

nkomo wrote:
    aussie digger wrote:Being the 10th anniversary I think it would be good to see a display in chronological order showing the changing gear and equipment as the conflict evolved.
     I will have to give that some thought.  A very ambitious undertaking.

Killer idea! That would catch my eye.
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:15 pm

I liked a lot of Lance's ideas. I would just add a couple ground pounder units like 4th ID, 82nd and those units that are always in the think of thinks. Lastly maybe add a Marine from one of the Fallujah battles. Marines are pretty consistent in dress so you would only ever really need one uniform setup from the Marines. Should be a great display!
    taucco
    taucco
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by taucco Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:42 pm

Arch, i enjoed very much the photos of your previous exhibit, i think this one it's going to be a success, too.

May i ask you if you are aiming it to a public which has knowledge of the military world or to the casual lookers?
    On the small displays i've made i have learned that at the eyes of the casual spectators will look at your best DCUs as if they are looking at a rack in a used clothing store.
    I'd go for displaying items that look different from a distance, so the non experts will recognize they are different.

Have you thought of adding a small description (absolutely not specific) of the items in the display?
    I found that a description, along with writing on the display a context in which the items were used always make the spectators wonder and discuss.

Maybe i was unclear so i'll give you an example of what i am thinking.

Take for example a display based on the 173rd airborne early in 2003, like this one
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xXziwkfbBpA/SwaFGjxYWGI/AAAAAAAAEl4/qwNczffSxSE/s512/iraq-bombs04.jpg

I'd name it "173rd Airborne, combat jump, 26 march 2003" and add a small description like:
    "Among the first to parachute into iraq, soldiers were still equipped with the 1970's ALICE webbing and the early 80's kevlar helmet. The desert uniform was the same fielded after Desert Storm. Waiting for better replacements some soldiers were still wearing the by then obsolete body armor with metal plates first seen with Rangers in Somalia in 1993"

I did almost the same with a display of Italian forces and it seemed to work (atleast here).

That said, there's some displays i think could be representative:

-the aforementioned 173rd airborne soldier

- task force tarawa marine: DCU (with woodland nbc suit over), PASGT, woodland IBA, woodland molle FLC and gas mask carrier. this is the image i have thinking of starting of the iraq war. NBC items bring a memory of Desert Storm

-TF viking special forces: modified woodland BDU, spear elcs with or without balcs or some commercial vests, ball cap. they were the only still using BDU's

-25th ID in 2004: CCU, IBA in woodland or desert camouflage, MICH helmet. They led to the adoption of the ACU cut uniform and the ACH as a general issue helmet.

-usmc in fallujah Marpat and Coyote brown armor and webbing plus LWH helmet. Because marines were the dirst to use digital camouflage and having a color (coyote brown) ideally suited for both woodland and arid environment. the LWH too could be compared to the old PASGT

-some early UCP display: ACU, ACH helmet, Interceptor body armor in UCP with pouches. Or maybe an USACAPOC display with ACU. You'd lose the full UCP look, but you'd put a display for a Reserve unit. an UCP display is necessary to look at the then new Universal Camouflage concept.

-Late infantry setup, with UCP combat shirt and IOTV. These were big innovations.

-USAF security Force 2008 display, with ABU, brassard, and DFLCS, with or without armor. That combination was used very shortly, but pointing the fact that the uniform is based on the vietnam era tiger stripe may peak the interest of vietnam era veterans.

-A navy SEAL display, like DevGru close protection group, with civilian attire or modified tan top, like the k-l one seen worn by the team photo with president George Bush.

- i think a display with one of the older self made combat shirts can be interesting, explaining how it lead to the adoption of the (displayed) Army Combat Shirt. Let's say something like Army Special Forces were wearing in 2005 along with the then new Ciras vests and matching pouches.

-Iraqi forces diplay with chocolate chip uniform. If there is a DS veteran he'd be interested.

-i think a PMC display should be interesting as well. The fallujah ambush in which 4 Blackwater operatives were killed could be cited, too, i think it's an episode that still comes to mind.

-MPRI or SWAT members embedded to US teams... maybe it's too specific.

My list leaves a lot of possible displays out, like Delta Force, Coast Guardsmen, Usaf PJs or Combat controllers, Marine Recon, ghille-clad snipers etc...

Should you need photos related to these ideas just ask and give me some time to dig them out.
    Col Kurtz
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by Col Kurtz Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 pm

I love these two suggestions. The evolution of the equipment used in the course of war is a very interesting approach. Has been a very long war and changes in the soldier's combat field gear are very palpable. In addition to the units mentioned by Lance, besides these, I would add a SEAL Team display (for example, assault and capture of the port of Umm Qasr).

kriegsmodell wrote:

- A MP set - Any Period

Darktrooper
    Darktrooper

Post by Darktrooper Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 pm

I can loan you some MP stuff if you do a reserve unit MP, I'll help you with it.

Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:51 am

Some really great ideas and thoughts here, fellers. I really appreciate you all taking time to help me build these displays.
    Spy vs Spy
    Spy vs Spy
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by Spy vs Spy Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:21 pm

Arch, how did this display turn out? Can we hope for some photos? Smile

Best regards
    Martin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:40 am