OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Thoughts on finishing up a Ghillie top

Ben,C
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Thoughts on finishing up a Ghillie top Empty Thoughts on finishing up a Ghillie top

Post by Ben,C Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:19 pm

I picked up a ghillie suit that I was told came from a SEAL but it has a small issue. The guy never finished it, the pants are done and most of the work on the top is finished but he didn't put the padding or reenforcement on the front or elbows. He or whoever was making it for him marked where they went and even where to sew but just never completed the job. I would like and am able to finish the top but wanted to hear some thoughts. If it was used like this or named I would leave it as is without a second thought but being a unnamed piece of gear that was never actually used it kind of falls into a different category, at least from my point of view. Any advice would be appreciated.
    RedLegGI
    RedLegGI

Thoughts on finishing up a Ghillie top Empty Re: Thoughts on finishing up a Ghillie top

Post by RedLegGI Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:47 am

I wouldn't worry about finishing it as its a uniform he never used.  May have used it prior to him selecting it as a ghillie, but for all intents and purposes, it wasn't used like it is setup now.  Lets say 3 years down the road, you've finished this and decide that because he didn't use it, you want to sell it.  You say "Seal  Ghillie suit, never used, but finished" in your description when selling.  As soon as it leaves your hands it becomes "SEAL USED GHILLIE SUIT -DELTA CAG SFODA" etc because even though you were honest, the next person won't be.
    Ben,C
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Thoughts on finishing up a Ghillie top Empty Re: Thoughts on finishing up a Ghillie top

Post by Ben,C Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:05 am

You do have a valid point there and one I have seen in the past plenty. I wasn't planning on every selling this set so I wasn't really worried about that angle. Granted you never know what will happen down the road, interest change over time not to mention things get stolen or lost and something what was once real but repaired becomes just real. Anyway I decided to leave it be after I posted this up. I think I figured out why it was never finished. One of the seems for the mesh back panel is blown out a little on one side and looking at it there is no easy way to fix it or stop it from spreading as the shirt was worn very thin on the back. The guy probably just started over on a different suit when he noticed this one was going to fall apart or went a different route all together like buying a commercial suit or something. In any event it is still a interesting suit and even unfinished it is a almost text book example of how they did desert ghillie suits so I am still very happy to have it.
    RedLegGI
    RedLegGI

Post by RedLegGI Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:29 am

Its cool you can see why the project went the way it did. I bet he must have had some frustration or maybe he snagged it during construction himself lol
    Ben,C
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by Ben,C Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:41 pm

LoL, pretty much anyone that's ever sewn knows that frustration. It's actually kind of amazing he didn't trash it out of anger. The paints he used are brand new but I guess he couldn't round up a new top for the second half.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:51 am