OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Tactical Gear Whores

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Tactical Gear Whores Empty Tactical Gear Whores

Post by Mercenary25 Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:06 pm

I recently looked around for some tactical gear (MOLLE, vests, armors, etc....) to fulfill my OEF/OIF SF display and came to realize something....

You know many surplus stuff is so cheap, then eventually increase in cost, but not tactical gear! Most of tactical gear is not going through drmo as because they are not generally issue item. Usually sold by individual soldiers who worn them. Most of surplus stores bought gear off them then asking for heavy price. I realized that there's so many tactical gear whores (no pun intended) with deep pockets out there who is more than willing to pay $800 for the Special Forces Direct-Action Trauma body armor WITHOUT pouches, soft inserts, and hard plates. I saw one SF worn MICH/ACH helmet with a punisher paint job that is going for $400+ with few more days left. DOAV vests went for $100+. Any rare tactical gear is commanding for higher money. I imagine soldiers were very happy to see there's some nutcase who would pay that much.

The odd thing about tactical whores (Again, no pun intended).... They seem never show up in here, USMF, or few other militaria forum. Look at www.militarymorons.com and www.specwargear.com they are two of greatest source for modern tactical gear. Have those tactical gear collectors created their own class?
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Tactical Gear Whores Empty Re: Tactical Gear Whores

Post by Nkomo Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:I recently looked around for some tactical gear (MOLLE, vests, armors, etc....) to fulfill my OEF/OIF SF display and came to realize something....

You know many surplus stuff is so cheap, then eventually increase in cost, but not tactical gear! Most of tactical gear is not going through drmo as because they are not generally issue item. Usually sold by individual soldiers who worn them. Most of surplus stores bought gear off them then asking for heavy price. I realized that there's so many tactical gear whores (no pun intended) with deep pockets out there who is more than willing to pay $800 for the Special Forces Direct-Action Trauma body armor WITHOUT pouches, soft inserts, and hard plates. I saw one SF worn MICH/ACH helmet with a punisher paint job that is going for $400+ with few more days left. DOAV vests went for $100+. Any rare tactical gear is commanding for higher money. I imagine soldiers were very happy to see there's some nutcase who would pay that much.

The odd thing about tactical whores (Again, no pun intended).... They seem never show up in here, USMF, or few other militaria forum. Look at www.militarymorons.com and www.specwargear.com they are two of greatest source for modern tactical gear. Have those tactical gear collectors created their own class?

AMEN!!!!! I can't touch gear on Ebay because of the collectors who have such deep pockets. As I'm sure know most of these collectors are from Asia....namely Japan. If I am not mistaken.....I have NEVER bought a vest off of Ebay. I've bought the odd pouch here and there, but even that is few and far between.

Gear is in a collecting world unto it's own. Most of us here would never be able to compete with the other collectors with deep pockets. Hell...I have a hard time winning DCU's that go over $30. Laughing I have to find my gear the old fashioned way...surplus stores.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Indeed! Most of them seems like came from Asia, especially Japan. I wonder what made them so crazy about tactical gear? I highly doubt airsofters because they like to buy cheap replicas or buy brand new.

Lately, LBT stuff went for crazy prices. $50 for single pouch?!
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:33 pm

I think finding it "the old way" is more fun... just going through all the bins of items to find that one thing you're looking for. Cool
    JKin
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by JKin Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:21 pm

There are huge high end SOF gears(as they would call them... gear(s)) markets in Asia and Europe. A lot of the really rare shit I see is owned by guys over there. A good number of those guys airsoft as well.

Heres a couple forums
    http://wannabe.ipbhost.com/index.php?
    http://gearsoc.com/board/index.php

SF/CAG/SEAL/Ranger/MARSOC/SOF gear certainly does fetch a lot of money and doesnt depreciate in value much at all. In fact, Ive pretty much stopped buying standard issue ALICE/MOLLE/MOLLE II/IBA and all becuase Ive found that stuff goes down in value significantly. Back in 2007, a DCU MOLLE II zippered FLC cost like $30-40. Now they are goin for $11 in cheaperthandirt. I got a smoke green Paraclete RACK for just under $40 on ebay back in summer 2008, and now I see them goin for $120ish. Although, the general increase in Paraclete gear prices (in particular smoke green color items) can be attributed to the slight shift in airsofters' general interested in SEAL MLCS/MBSS items to CAG Paraclete kit. In addition to that, SOF items are less abundant and more challenging to acquire which I kinda like.
    Philip

Post by Philip Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:40 am

I highly doubt airsofters because they like to buy cheap replicas or buy brand new.
    I'm pretty sure most of the so-called "gear collectors" are airsofters. Check sites like wannabe etc. and see yourself.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:18 pm

So it is safe to presume that many of airsofters are gear collectors. I find it sad. IMO, we collectors have better purpose with those gear because we would use it to honor the veterans instead of playing with it and making it dirty. Sad

I have a reason to believe why modified DCUs and BDUs command for higher price because it's airsofters because I've seen photos of their impressions with modified stuff, hard to say if they did it themselves or bought actual used one.

I better stop my rant because I don't want this to turned into airsoft-hater thread. I'm sure some of members here play.
    JKin
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by JKin Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Actually, there are some airsofters/gear collectors who like minded to ourselves and just airsoft to find an excuse to dress up in their kit. Very Happy

On the other hand, you got some airsofters who are the otherway around lol...
    Philip

Post by Philip Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:37 pm

No problem with airsoft (itself). I know some serious collectors who play airsoft. But they draw a line between airsoft and collecting. Many airsofters call themselves collectors but painting an ACH and putting velcro all over it has nothing to do with collecting IMO... I agree with your thoughts about the modified shirts. It's getting harder to say what is real and fake. Especially when soldiers use lots of commercial gear...
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:38 pm

You both made valid points. Smile
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:50 pm

My experience is bad with airsofters, I used to visit airsoft forum. vietnamairsoft.com to be specific. They are hostile toward collectors and re-enactors. They implied "You collectors don't belong here, get out of here". I've seen horrors such as one airsofter found MINT vietnam era lightweight rucksack which commands higher price and sought after many VN era collectors. He didn't like that it is mint so he beaten it up, left outside under weather for few weeks to "break in". The mint one is very tough to find and its current value at $300. Here's couple of stories about USMC M1955 flak vest (also pretty hard to find and expensive). One kid wanted first pattern so he bought 3rd pattern (with pouches on front) he removed it so he have first pattern. Another kid felt that his M1955 is too mint, wanted it to look faded and used so he bleached it and accidently whiten it, no green left! It is painful for me to think about it, which is reason it left me with bad impression toward airsofters.

Now, I don't have any problem with them playing with replica gear or using original stuff for photography op. I hope you understand my position and why I'm being tense about it.
    Philip

Post by Philip Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Oh yeah! The invaluable used look. Laughing
    JKin
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by JKin Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:My experience is bad with airsofters, I used to visit airsoft forum. vietnamairsoft.com to be specific. They are hostile toward collectors and re-enactors. They implied "You collectors don't belong here, get out of here". I've seen horrors such as one airsofter found MINT vietnam era lightweight rucksack which commands higher price and sought after many VN era collectors. He didn't like that it is mint so he beaten it up, left outside under weather for few weeks to "break in". The mint one is very tough to find and its current value at $300. Here's couple of stories about USMC M1955 flak vest (also pretty hard to find and expensive). One kid wanted first pattern so he bought 3rd pattern (with pouches on front) he removed it so he have first pattern. Another kid felt that his M1955 is too mint, wanted it to look faded and used so he bleached it and accidently whiten it, no green left! It is painful for me to think about it, which is reason it left me with bad impression toward airsofters.

Thats a damn shame...

I see what you mean now lol.
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Well Merc, excuse me for buying that USMC OTV I just happened to see back in September! lol!
    I completely understand where you're coming from though. What I wonder is how guys living in the temperate regions of Bulgaria would have any use for Australian desert cams... Laughing
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:11 pm

LOL Ben. Post that USMC OTV on this forum!
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 am

JKin is correct about most gear holding it's value.....especially those used by any SF type unit. Usually, "Grunt" gear (Regular Army) is very expensive when it first comes out but drops in price as soldiers sell it to pawn shops or surplus shops around the bases. The Reg. Army gear is mass produced and probably millions of examples are made.

Compare that to SF gear which may be issued on an individual, unit, or mission basis. To top it all off, the SF guys have a certain "mystique" that surrond them due to the type of missions they are asked to do, the secrecy surronding these missions, and a lot of the soldiers have seen combat. Not to mention how many movies Hollywood has made about the Special Forces over the years....both good and bad.

I like gear...actually I love it. That being said, you won't ever see me plop down $600 for a vest....no matter how rare. I am perfectly content going to surplus shops and pawn shops digging through piles of "stuff" looking for deals. In fact, I did this exact thing with Andrew this weekend. Very Happy The stuff is there if you know where to look, know your prices, and know what you are looking for.

Arch
    p.s. BTW.....patched DCU's are becoming harder and harder to find. Saw that for myself at three different military bases now. It is not isolated to one area.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:12 pm