OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

New Book - Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay

kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

New Book - Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay Empty New Book - Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay

Post by kriegsmodell Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:07 am

On Amazon the other night just kind of checking out the new military history books and pulled this one up: Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay. Just came out in August. Looks kind of interesting. Here is some information from the Amazon listing:

Book Description
    Modern Body Armour traces the development of individual ballistic protection from the multi-layer silk garments and metal plates used during World War One and through to the Korean War and Vietnam, to the state-of-the-art amour currently used in Iraq and Afghanistan. Contents include the Chemico Shield and Infanterie Panzer of World War One, USAAF aviator's amour of World War Two, the Korean War M1951 and M1952A, and the IOTV and USMC Scaleable Plate Carrier currently used by US forces. This work illustrates all of the primary amour patterns in use with the world's major nations from 1914 to the present day. The volume is a companion to the author's Camouflage Uniforms and Tin Hats to Composite Helmets that together provide a concise reference to the combat soldier's equipment over the last 100 years.

About the Author
    Martin J. Brayley is a professional photographer and author, specializing in works on uniforms and militaria. He served in the armed forces for twenty-four years and has a keen interest in all aspects of military history, particularly the uniforms and equipment of the twentieth century. He is also a dedicated military researcher and collector and regular contributor to the French magazine Militaria.

New Book - Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay Screen13

Book retails for $35 and Amazon is selling it for $26.50. Wondering if anyone has had a chance to peruse this book in person and make an assessment of its value to the OEF OIF collector? No Amazon reviews yet and I'm not in a big hurry to buy it without some idea of the contents. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge proponent of reference books but I've also been burned in the past!

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

New Book - Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay Empty Re: New Book - Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:15 am

I don't think I would buy it because I would rather if a whole book is about the "modern" as in 80's to current including all types worn by the beautiful guys (SF) and regular grunts.
    P-E
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

New Book - Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay Empty Re: New Book - Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay

Post by P-E Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:01 am

The author is a member of USMF and I remember he asked some help for his book there.

A friend of me bought it, and told me it's interesting. BUT, this is a general book, not only for USA (english,...), and so there're only the most know body armor and a short description.

I did the same job with a friend and we publish all the informations online (in french) and for free. Maybe he listed a few other models we haven't, but the opposite is also probable. And apparently, the author don't give some description.

At this time I do not project to buy this, not at this price... But maybe when the price we'll be down...? Who know...

"As you know, you go to war with the Army you have. They're not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time. You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up..." - Donald Rumsfeld (Camp Buehring, KU - Dec. 8, 2004)

See my current collection of desert SSI HERE
    See my current collection of desert Badges (ranks, qualification badges, Branch of Service) HERE
    See my files in PDF on scribd.com HERE
    See my collection of jackets HERE
    downboy
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by downboy Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:23 pm

kriegsmodell wrote:On Amazon the other night just kind of checking out the new military history books and pulled this one up: Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay. Just came out in August. Looks kind of interesting. Here is some information from the Amazon listing:

Book Description
    Modern Body Armour traces the development of individual ballistic protection from the multi-layer silk garments and metal plates used during World War One and through to the Korean War and Vietnam, to the state-of-the-art amour currently used in Iraq and Afghanistan. Contents include the Chemico Shield and Infanterie Panzer of World War One, USAAF aviator's amour of World War Two, the Korean War M1951 and M1952A, and the IOTV and USMC Scaleable Plate Carrier currently used by US forces. This work illustrates all of the primary amour patterns in use with the world's major nations from 1914 to the present day. The volume is a companion to the author's Camouflage Uniforms and Tin Hats to Composite Helmets that together provide a concise reference to the combat soldier's equipment over the last 100 years.

About the Author
    Martin J. Brayley is a professional photographer and author, specializing in works on uniforms and militaria. He served in the armed forces for twenty-four years and has a keen interest in all aspects of military history, particularly the uniforms and equipment of the twentieth century. He is also a dedicated military researcher and collector and regular contributor to the French magazine Militaria.

New Book - Modern Body Armour by Martin J. Braylay Screen13

Book retails for $35 and Amazon is selling it for $26.50. Wondering if anyone has had a chance to peruse this book in person and make an assessment of its value to the OEF OIF collector? No Amazon reviews yet and I'm not in a big hurry to buy it without some idea of the contents. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge proponent of reference books but I've also been burned in the past!

Kriegsmodell I too am into books but I`m just curious which books burnt you up?
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:32 am

Downboy, sending you a PM.

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    P-E
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Finally guys, who purchased this book ? Is that a "basic book", or a well detailed one ?

"As you know, you go to war with the Army you have. They're not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time. You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up..." - Donald Rumsfeld (Camp Buehring, KU - Dec. 8, 2004)

See my current collection of desert SSI HERE
    See my current collection of desert Badges (ranks, qualification badges, Branch of Service) HERE
    See my files in PDF on scribd.com HERE
    See my collection of jackets HERE

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am