OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
John Brown
Mercenary25
6 posters

Ebay dealer: suspcious or legit?

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Ebay dealer: suspcious or legit? Empty Ebay dealer: suspcious or legit?

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:25 pm

I always stumble across a lot of nice modified DCU's being sold by the_beret_shop. However I don't always have good feelings about his items. It is not my nature to make the sellers look bad but I wanted to see others' input.

I'll post a few of examples. The first one is almost as if a DCU is on streiods and second DCU (The Medic) has PSYOPS combat patch under the flag.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DESERT-DCU-SPECIAL-FORCES-RAID-MODIFIED-COAT-SHIRT-RANGER-AIRBORNE-PATHFINDER-E8-/390366834764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae3ad304c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-DESERT-DCU-COAT-MODIFIED-IRSHIRT-SMALL-REG-COMBAT-MEDIC-PSYOPS-AIRBORNE-SFC-/390362921022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae371783e
    John Brown
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Ebay dealer: suspcious or legit? Empty Re: Ebay dealer: suspcious or legit?

Post by John Brown Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Do the soldier's names ring any bells in the databases?
    P-E
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:07 pm

I've the exact same opinion than you, and for me it's definitely not legit...The SF jacket is simply too much...
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Well.....I am going to post a link here that covers this dealer. I would ask that if you post on USMF, that you do keep it nice. Laughing

Link: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101321&hl=mattd
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Guys...the second link that Merc posted really suprised me that no one caught the GLARING MISTAKES on the DCU! Look at it again and tell me what those mistakes are. Very Happy
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Ah interesting. He has some nice OD green badged up 3rd Infantry Division DCU's from the invasion of Iraq that I was tempted to get but those other items discouraged me to buy from him. Unsure if it is badged up by himself or not.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:35 pm

The biggest glaring mistake that I saw was in this photo. When have you EVER seen the US flag patch ABOVE a combat patch? TOTALLY WRONG!!! It seems as if someone added these "extra" patches to enhance value.

Ebay dealer: suspcious or legit? Kgrhqz10

Last edited by nkomo on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:38 pm

Next is the qualification badges. This one is interesting to say the least. If I am not mistaken, the Air Assault badge should be sewn on the pocket flap. This one is a little iffy and I'm trying to find the exact US Army regulation regarding the wear of qualification badges. So don't hold me to this one.

Ebay dealer: suspcious or legit? Kgrhqn10
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Arch, you are seeing as I saw. Smile
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:55 pm

In my estimation, the 82nd ABN DCU has had three patches added. I think the Combat Medics Badge, the USACAPOC patch, and Airborne tab above that have been added.

The DCU looks like a standard 82nd ABN DCU with velcro square modifications on the sleeves. The velcro squares are a known 82nd ABN modification and I have several of those in my personal collection.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Honestly....some of this sellers items look totally legit. Granted, there are some bad/questionable pieces in there, but there are some good items as well. I would have no trouble buying the 3rd ID DCU's from him. I have talked to this dealer several times and he is a genuinely nice guy and I'm scratching my head as to why he has those "badged up" DCU"s. Question Question
    John Brown
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by John Brown Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:04 pm

nkomo wrote: Next is the qualification badges. This one is interesting to say the least. If I am not mistaken, the Air Assault badge should be sewn on the pocket flap. This one is a little iffy and I'm trying to find the exact US Army regulation regarding the wear of qualification badges. So don't hold me to this one.
    Not enough badges to spill over to the pocket flap:
    AR 670-1 wrote:
     Ebay dealer: suspcious or legit? Skill-badges_sm

d. Subdued pin-on and embroidered sew-on combat and special skill badges. Personnel may wear no more than five subdued combat and special skill badges on the temperate, hot weather, enhanced hot weather, maternity, aviation, and desert BDU shirts. Badges are worn one above the other, centered above the U.S. Army tape, in order of group precedence. When five badges are worn, three are centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape in a vertical line with 1⁄2 inch between badges, and two are worn on the pocket flap, 1⁄8 inch below the top of the pocket, with at least 1 inch between badges. When four badges are worn, three are centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape in a vertical line with 1⁄2 inch between badges, and one is worn on the pocket flap, 1⁄8 inch below the top of the pocket, with at least 1 inch between badges. When three badges are worn, two badges are centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape in a vertical line with 1⁄2 inch between badges, and one is worn centered on the pocket flap, 1⁄8 inch below the top of the pocket. When two badges are worn, both are centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape in a vertical line with 1⁄2 inch between badges. If only one badge is worn, it is centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape (see fig 29–58).
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:26 pm

John Brown wrote:
    nkomo wrote: Next is the qualification badges. This one is interesting to say the least. If I am not mistaken, the Air Assault badge should be sewn on the pocket flap. This one is a little iffy and I'm trying to find the exact US Army regulation regarding the wear of qualification badges. So don't hold me to this one.
    Not enough badges to spill over to the pocket flap:
    AR 670-1 wrote:
     Ebay dealer: suspcious or legit? Skill-badges_sm

d. Subdued pin-on and embroidered sew-on combat and special skill badges. Personnel may wear no more than five subdued combat and special skill badges on the temperate, hot weather, enhanced hot weather, maternity, aviation, and desert BDU shirts. Badges are worn one above the other, centered above the U.S. Army tape, in order of group precedence. When five badges are worn, three are centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape in a vertical line with 1⁄2 inch between badges, and two are worn on the pocket flap, 1⁄8 inch below the top of the pocket, with at least 1 inch between badges. When four badges are worn, three are centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape in a vertical line with 1⁄2 inch between badges, and one is worn on the pocket flap, 1⁄8 inch below the top of the pocket, with at least 1 inch between badges. When three badges are worn, two badges are centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape in a vertical line with 1⁄2 inch between badges, and one is worn centered on the pocket flap, 1⁄8 inch below the top of the pocket. When two badges are worn, both are centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape in a vertical line with 1⁄2 inch between badges. If only one badge is worn, it is centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape (see fig 29–58).

According to the above paragraph you posted, it says: When three badges are worn, two badges are centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape in a vertical line with 1⁄2 inch between badges, and one is worn centered on the pocket flap, 1⁄8 inch below the top of the pocket.

The DCU in question has 3 qualification badges. Just looks odd to me.
    John Brown
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by John Brown Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:40 pm

nkomo wrote:

According to the above paragraph you posted, it says: When three badges are worn, two badges are centered 1⁄4 inch above the U.S. Army tape in a vertical line with 1⁄2 inch between badges, and one is worn centered on the pocket flap, 1⁄8 inch below the top of the pocket.

The DCU in question has 3 qualification badges. Just looks odd to me.
    Mebbe he was planning on sticking something else on the flap (like a rigger badge or something) . . .
    P-E
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:06 pm

nkomo wrote: Honestly....some of this sellers items look totally legit. Granted, there are some bad/questionable pieces in there, but there are some good items as well. I would have no trouble buying the 3rd ID DCU's from him. I have talked to this dealer several times and he is a genuinely nice guy and I'm scratching my head as to why he has those "badged up" DCU"s. Question Question

I also think he has some legit items. But I also see some commercial items in his shop (bags,...).

But for me the SF jacket he has here is just too much to be a real one. Maybe he sell both real and faked items...This seller has many SF modified jacket, and they all look brand new, with new velcro and patches. And by chance, majorities of them are just full of patches...Honestly, he has some good items, but there's also some items for which I've some doubts, including the SF jacket linked above...

There're other suspicious items, like for example this one :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-DSCP-ARMY-BLACK-BERET-AF-ROTC-CADRE-INSIGNIA-/390298959115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adfa17d0b

But well, I don't know. I'm not God, and only the seller and Him know the response... But as long as I've doubt, I won't buy him any item (moreover at these prices...).
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:21 pm

nkomo wrote: The biggest glaring mistake that I saw was in this photo. When have you EVER seen the US flag patch ABOVE a combat patch? TOTALLY WRONG!!! It seems as if someone added these "extra" patches to enhance value.

I hate to disagree but I have more than one direct veteran purchase top (BDUs and DCUs) with the combat SSI below the flag patch. I have also seen others that I am okay with patched that way. I agree that it is wrong but I have seen it a number of times. That said, I'm not vouching for this top ......
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:45 pm

kriegsmodell wrote:
    nkomo wrote: The biggest glaring mistake that I saw was in this photo. When have you EVER seen the US flag patch ABOVE a combat patch? TOTALLY WRONG!!! It seems as if someone added these "extra" patches to enhance value.

I hate to disagree but I have more than one direct veteran purchase top (BDUs and DCUs) with the combat SSI below the flag patch. I have also seen others that I am okay with patched that way. I agree that it is wrong but I have seen it a number of times. That said, I'm not vouching for this top ......
    Every single one of my DCU's that has the combat patch on the right sleeve is above the flag. I have never seen this done before. Very interesting.

Last edited by nkomo on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:59 pm

I could see an isolated incident of the flag being worn above the patch, but this seller has several DCU's from various different soldiers with the flag/patch issue.

Like I said, this seller does have some good items and I have bought off of him before. He is a great guy, but I'm just confused as to why he'd have these.
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:32 pm

nkomo wrote: I could see an isolated incident of the flag being worn above the patch, but this seller has several DCU's from various different soldiers with the flag/patch issue.

Like I said, this seller does have some good items and I have bought off of him before. He is a great guy, but I'm just confused as to why he'd have these.

Arch,

I too have purchased some great items from this seller. I agree with everything you have said here. Well put and spot on!!
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm

kriegsmodell wrote:

Lance, can you make a new thread about this? It would be great for future reference. Because all of us avoided any DCU's with SSI under the flag. Maybe it would change.
    ScottG
    ScottG
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by ScottG Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi guys, I know this is an older thread but I wnated to chime in about the flag being on top of the combat patch. When we were issued our DCUs at Ft. Riley we had to have our personal insignia sewn on at the tailor shop. I was a Desert Storm vet and had worn a combat patch for many years, so it was easy for me to get this done right. Most of the soldiers in my unit had never been authorized a combat patch before OIF, so they only got a flag patch. When patches became authorized many of them rushed to the Iraqi vendors and had them applied under the flags. As an NCO, I questioned this and was often met with three answers: 1) "Stupid Hadji doesn't know anything..." 2) "I didn't know" 3) The most logical in my opinion "Why would anything go above the American Flag?".
    Now, I am not defending your seller here, but I will tell you that in my experience, most of these guys never changed the sewing as it was not convenient and the "uniform police" were all on leave in 2003. Scott

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:09 am