OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

What kind of questions should be asked in the interview with a veteran?

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

What kind of questions should be asked in the interview with a veteran? Empty What kind of questions should be asked in the interview with a veteran?

Post by Mercenary25 Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 am

The topic said it all. I MAY have a chance of contacting with a veteran who owned the uniforms I have. My mind is blank and I never interviewed a veteran before. Any ideas and help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeremy
    HoovieDude
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

What kind of questions should be asked in the interview with a veteran? Empty Re: What kind of questions should be asked in the interview with a veteran?

Post by HoovieDude Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Jeremy, first rule, and most important is never, never ask if he killed anyone. Period. If I could have a beer for every time I have had had that asked of me, I would have free beer for life. I once had an obnoxious person ask me that in front of a group of his friends, trying to be cool. My reply to him, as I looked directly into his eyes and said in a very, very low voice was "not enough. Always room for one more". He shut up pretty damn quick Very Happy
    If he wants to discuss those matters with you, he will on his own time and terms. Most I know will not, especially to someone who is more or less a stranger. Besides, unlike the misguided mentality many non-vets or those who are absolutely clueless have, not every vet has, and a good majority were never actually in the position to do so anyway. There is a considerable difference between "having served in a war/combat operation" vs "having fought".

Just ask him general questions that you wouldn't mind answering yourself. What did he do before the service, how long was he in, what are some of his fondest memories, favorite places he went or saw, funniest moment, etc.. Were there any regrets, were there things he would do differently if given the chance. What did he do afterwards, and so on.
    Misanthropic_Gods
    Misanthropic_Gods

What kind of questions should be asked in the interview with a veteran? Empty Re: What kind of questions should be asked in the interview with a veteran?

Post by Misanthropic_Gods Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:49 pm

HoovieDude wrote:Jeremy, first rule, and most important is never, never ask if he killed anyone. Period.

Oh god, THIS! I cringe every time I hear some fuckbag ask a vet if they have killed anyone, it is just plain rude.

What Mike said has some very good ideas, you also might want to ask how things were different than what he expected before he joined, what his experience with command staff was, if he could change one thing about the military, what would it be?
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Of course! I will never ask anyone if they had killed anyone. This is a childish question.

Thanks for some great ideas.
    HoovieDude
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by HoovieDude Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:Of course! I will never ask anyone if they had killed anyone. This is a childish question.

Thanks for some great ideas.

That it is, but there have been more than you could believe ask that. Even close friends and family!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:27 am