OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Some questions from one who is green as wood

indagila

Some questions from one who is green as wood Empty Some questions from one who is green as wood

Post by indagila Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:46 pm

Gentlemen,
    I am a newbie here with some questions regarding a possible situation that could arise in fairly short order. First let me state that I am no wannbe or Walter Middie. In fact, given my druthers, I would forgo the matter entirely. I live in an area very close to the Mexican border. Where things get more interesting by the day, despite anything you might hear from Janet Incompetano. I have lived in the bush for most of my life and seven years ago bought the place where I now reside and built a stick and stucco house. I really didn't consider forting up, I just wanted to live quiet. I abutt national forest and can fire a rifle at a 20* up angle in 360*s and not bother a living soul. Can't get much in the way of help either...
    So, I have finally broken down and purchased a black, scary lookin', ugly, souless lead spitter of a rifle, A PTR91 in .308. This is a comfort since if I end up facing Mexican regulars they will be shooting the same thing back at me. In truth, I would like as not be dealing with contribandistas or coyotes who also wish to keep on the low down and so might not have much stomach for a fight. I don't know how much stomach I have either, having never fired a shot in anger.
    Since any center fire rifle round would traverse this house end to end, my thinking is that it would be best to lay low and hope that trouble passes me by. And if not then best to shoot and scoot my way beck into the forest and rely on mobility and sneaky.
    I am wondering what kind of load bearing equipment would be most advisable and what it might look like loaded? I am considering some sort of H suspendered web gear but I see vests are what our troops are using now. I am pretty much a minimalist I would rather quickly and often. I am guessing that my load would be: The rifle w/4 magazines + 1 in the gun,G3 surplus cleaning kit, A 1911 w/4 magazines and one in the gun. Loveless 4" dropped hunter,Schrade stock mans knife, two liter camel pack, Poncho and blanket. small Med/trauma kit, fire starting goods, a couple of big trash bags, duct tape, five pair of socks, sweater, a couple MREs, small flash light. I am thinking the smaller package I can fit that in the better. I would prefer not to use a drop leg holster.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Misanthropic_Gods
    Misanthropic_Gods

Some questions from one who is green as wood Empty Re: Some questions from one who is green as wood

Post by Misanthropic_Gods Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:15 pm

I cant speak for the other Mods, but this is a collectors forum instead of a gear forum. If you are looking for gear to use, might I suggest a site like AR15.com or there are plenty of sites that have great recommendations for gear.

While a few members here probably could answer your question (myself included), this is quite a bit out of the scope of the site so I am hesitant to let this go on, especially in any part of the forum other than The Barracks.
    indagila

Some questions from one who is green as wood Empty Re: Some questions from one who is green as wood

Post by indagila Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Very good, I'll go there thank you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:16 am