OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Bagman6
gdclark
6 posters

Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge

gdclark
    Corporal
    Corporal

Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge Empty Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge

Post by gdclark Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 am

Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge %3Ca%20href=Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge P1160015" />Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge %3Ca%20href=Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge P1160012" />Thought I would share this. This is a Kabul Made CIB with Lapis in the background to represent the Inf Blue. Sorry about the formatting. Still trying to figure this out. lol.

Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge Empty Re: Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Great badge! Thanks for showing. How did they get the Lapis in the background? Or is it artificial Lapis Lazuli? And what does OMID stand for?

Stay safe!

Fred
    Bagman6
    Bagman6

Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge Empty Re: Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge

Post by Bagman6 Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Nice piece Dave.

Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:36 pm

First I have seen of a badge like this. Man that is just great - really appreciate you sharing this one as I bet most members have not seen an example before. Clete
    gdclark
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by gdclark Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:45 am

Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge %3Ca%20href=Afghan made Combat Infantryman's Badge P1160014" />

Fred,

From my conversation with the jeweler; it is real Lapis, hopefully this close up will help. You can see the carving marks. Lapis is ground up and used to make the color Ultramarine so I am SWAGing that this is a similar process. The picture is not that great but in the sunlight you can see gold flecks of iron pyrite in it.

I asked him to mark the back with the jeweler's name; I had five of these made and there three different names on the backs. The other are hand engraved, almost in script. We had some guys getting their CIBs awarded and we thought these would be a little bit cooler to pin on than the issued ones.

Dave
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:24 am

If I had not seen it from the guy who had them made up I probably would not have believed it was a real piece. Again thanks for sharing this with us. Clete
    msmith275
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by msmith275 Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:42 am

David, you continue to amaze me at the stuff you find. This is so cool. Can't wait to see up close! Mark
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Outstanding!

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    Torch03
    Torch03
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Torch03 Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:11 pm

Really cool, thanks for sharing this with us!

Matt

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:31 pm