OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
anelles
zvez
kriegsmodell
7 posters

NBC’s Brian Williams Recants Iraq Story After Soldiers Protest

kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

NBC’s Brian Williams Recants Iraq Story After Soldiers Protest Empty NBC’s Brian Williams Recants Iraq Story After Soldiers Protest

Post by kriegsmodell Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:00 am

Thought this was kind of interesting ......

NBC’s Brian Williams recants Iraq story after soldiers protest
    'I spent much of the weekend thinking I'd gone crazy. I feel terrible about making this mistake'
    February 4, 2015

Brian Williams' apology
    "To Joseph, Lance, Jonathan, Pate, Michael and all those who have posted: You are absolutely right and I was wrong.
    In fact, I spent much of the weekend thinking I'd gone crazy. I feel terrible about making this mistake, especially since I found my OWN WRITING about the incident from back in '08, and I was indeed on the Chinook behind the bird that took the RPG in the tail housing just above the ramp.
    Because I have no desire to fictionalize my experience (we all saw it happened the first time) and no need to dramatize events as they actually happened, I think the constant viewing of the video showing us inspecting the impact area — and the fog of memory over 12 years — made me conflate the two, and I apologize.
    I certainly remember the armored mech platoon, meeting Capt. Eric Nye and of course Tim Terpak. Shortly after they arrived, so did the Orange Crush sandstorm, making virtually all outdoor functions impossible. I honestly don't remember which of the three choppers Gen. Downing and I slept in, but we spent two nights on the stowable web bench seats in one of the three birds.
    Later in the invasion when Gen. Downing and I reached Baghdad, I remember searching the parade grounds for Tim's Bradley to no avail. My attempt to pay tribute to CSM Terpak was to honor his 23+ years in service to our nation, and it had been 12 years since I saw him.
    The ultimate irony is: In writing up the synopsis of the 2 nights and 3 days I spent with him in the desert, I managed to switch aircraft. Nobody's trying to steal anyone's valor. Quite the contrary: I was and remain a civilian journalist covering the stories of those who volunteered for duty. This was simply an attempt to thank Tim, our military and Veterans everywhere — those who have served while I did not."

WASHINGTON — NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams admitted Wednesday he was not aboard a helicopter hit and forced down by RPG fire during the invasion of Iraq in 2003, a false claim that has been repeated by the network for years.
    Williams repeated the claim Friday during NBC’s coverage of a public tribute at a New York Rangers hockey game for a retired soldier that had provided ground security for the grounded helicopters, a game to which Williams accompanied him. In an interview with Stars and Stripes, he said he had misremembered the events and was sorry.
    The admission came after crew members on the 159th Aviation Regiment’s Chinook that was hit by two rockets and small arms fire told Stars and Stripes that the NBC anchor was nowhere near that aircraft or two other Chinooks flying in the formation that took fire. Williams arrived in the area about an hour later on another helicopter after the other three had made an emergency landing, the crew members said.
    “I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” Williams said. “I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.”
    Williams made the claim while presenting NBC coverage of the tribute to the retired command sergeant major at the Rangers game, and the fans giving the soldier a standing ovation.
    “ The story actually started with a terrible moment a dozen years back during the invasion of Iraq when the helicopter we were traveling in was forced down after being hit by an RPG,” Williams said on the broadcast. “Our traveling NBC News team was rescued, surrounded and kept alive by an armor mechanized platoon from the U.S. Army 3rd Infantry.”
    Williams and his camera crew were actually aboard a Chinook in a formation that was about an hour behind the three helicopters that came under fire, according to crew member interviews.
    That Chinook took no fire and landed later beside the damaged helicopter due to an impending sandstorm from the Iraqi desert, according to Sgt. 1st Class Joseph Miller, who was the flight engineer on the aircraft that carried the journalists.
    “No, we never came under direct enemy fire to the aircraft,” he said Wednesday.
    The helicopters, along with the NBC crew, remained on the ground at a forward operating base west of Baghdad for two or three days, where they were surrounded by an Army unit with Bradley fighting vehicles and Abrams M-1 tanks.
    Miller said he never saw any direct fire on the position from Iraqi forces.
    The claim rankled Miller as well as soldiers aboard the formation of 159th Aviation Regiment Chinooks that were flying far ahead and did come under attack during the March 24, 2003 mission.
    One of the helicopters was hit by two rocket-propelled grenades — one did not detonate but passed through the airframe and rotor blades — as well as small arms fire.
    “It was something personal for us that was kind of life-changing for me. I’ve know how lucky I was to survive it,” said Lance Reynolds, who was the flight engineer. “It felt like a personal experience that someone else wanted to participate in and didn’t deserve to participate in.”
    Reynolds said Williams and the NBC cameramen arrived in a helicopter 30 to 60 minutes after his damaged Chinook made a rolling landing at an Iraqi airfield and skidded off the runway into the desert.
    He said Williams approached and took photos of the damage but Reynolds brushed them off because the crew was assessing damage and he was worried his wife, who was alone in Germany, might see the news report.
    “I wanted to tell her myself everything was all right before she got news of this happening,” Reynolds said.
    The NBC crew stayed only for about 10 minutes and then went to see the Army armored units that had been guarding the nearby Forward Operating Base Rams, and came out to provide a security perimeter around the aircraft. Tim Terpak, the command sergeant major who accompanied Williams to the Rangers game, was among those soldiers and the two struck up a friendship.
    Miller, Reynolds and Mike O’Keeffe, who was a door gunner on the damaged Chinook, said they all recall NBC reporting that Williams was aboard the aircraft that was attacked, despite it being false. The NBC online archive shows the network broadcast a news story on March 26, 2003, with the headline “Target Iraq: Helicopter NBC’s Brian Williams Was Riding In Comes Under Fire.”
    Williams disputed Wednesday claims the initial reports were inaccurate, saying he originally reported he was in another helicopter but later confused the events. In a 2008 NBC blog post with his byline, he wrote that the “Chinook helicopter flying in front of ours (from the 101st Airborne) took an RPG to the rear rotor.”
    O’Keeffe said the incident has bothered him since he and others first saw the original report after returning to Kuwait.
    “Over the years it faded,” he said, “and then to see it last week it was — I can’t believe he is still telling this false narrative.”

Much more of the background of this story on Stars & Stripes http://www.stripes.com/news/us/nbc-s-brian-williams-recants-iraq-story-after-soldiers-protest-1.327792

A shifting story

How the 2003 Chinook incident has been recounted at various times.

March 34, 2003 | Book account
    March 27, 2003 | New York Daily News report
    March 30, 2003 | USA Today report
    July 19, 2007 | From Brian Williams’ blog entry on Gen. Wayne Downing
    Jan. 14, 2010 | News release from Notre Dame University
    Jan. 30, 2015 | NBC Nightly News report

In a letter to his mother from Sean Ward, who guarded a shot-down Chinook puts the shot-down Chinook and Brian Williams in same spot (“middle of Iraq, south of the Euphrates river”), but does not mention of Williams being in the shot down Chinook.
    “NBC News' Brian Williams … and NBC consultant Ret. Gen. Wayne Dowling went on a helicopter mission to an Iraq site where troops were building a bridge. However, during the trip a man on the ground pulled a tarp off of his pickup truck and launched a rocket-fired grenade. The first chopper was hit and forced to land. Then the one carrying Williams and Dowling landed.
    “NBC's Brian Williams was stranded in the Iraqi desert for three days after a Chinook helicopter ahead of his was attacked by a man who fired a rocket-propelled grenade. The grenade just missed, but it forced the group to make an emergency landing. Luckily, a U.S. tank platoon was there and surrounded the helicopters, killing four Iraqis.
    “[Dowling] talked me into going on a "day trip" with an Army Reserve Unit -- a flotilla of four twin-rotor Chinook helicopters on a mission we couldn't discuss. [Soon] some men on the ground fired an RPG through the tail rotor of the chopper flying in front of ours. There was small arms fire. … All four choppers dropped their heavy loads and landed quickly and hard on the desert floor. ...”
    “Just days into the war, Williams was traveling on a U.S. Army Chinook helicopter mission when the lead helicopter was shot down by a rocket-propelled grenade. Williams spent three days and two nights in the Iraqi desert south of Najaf, with a mechanized armored tank platoon of the Army’s Third Infantry Division providing protection.”
    “The story actually started with a terrible moment a dozen years back during the invasion of Iraq, when the helicopter we were travelling in was forced down after being hit by an RPG. Our travelling NBC news team was rescued and kept alive by an Armored Mechanized Platoon from the U.S. Army 3rd Infantry.”

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    zvez
    zvez
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

NBC’s Brian Williams Recants Iraq Story After Soldiers Protest Empty Re: NBC’s Brian Williams Recants Iraq Story After Soldiers Protest

Post by zvez Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:49 pm

He's getting really beaten up about this. I guess he could get facts confused after some time. Curiously tho, this only came up as he was doing a tribute to some veterans that were on scene there at the time.
    anelles
    anelles
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

NBC’s Brian Williams Recants Iraq Story After Soldiers Protest Empty Re: NBC’s Brian Williams Recants Iraq Story After Soldiers Protest

Post by anelles Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:31 pm

I don't think you can possibly confuse being shot down with not being shot down. Regardless, as a journalist it's his job to keep facts straight. He botched it in 2003, botched it now, and several times in between.

I work in journalism, and have covered stories in Afghanistan and Iraq. If I made an error even half as severe as this, I would have lost my job without question, and rightfully so.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:12 pm

anelles wrote:I don't think you can possibly confuse being shot down with not being shot down. Regardless, as a journalist it's his job to keep facts straight. He botched it in 2003, botched it now, and several times in between.

I work in journalism, and have covered stories in Afghanistan and Iraq. If I made an error even half as severe as this, I would have lost my job without question, and rightfully so.
    I totally agree, Anelles.
    anelles
    anelles
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by anelles Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:01 am

This about says everything: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/02/05/why-war-reporters-cant-stand-the-brian-williams-scandal/
    airborne1968
    airborne1968
    Staff Sergeant Class II
    Staff Sergeant Class II

Post by airborne1968 Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:15 am

The article points to a larger issue you see more and more these days, that news people are making themselves the subject of a story because they happen to be IVO an event, when they should be focusing on the reason why they are there I the first place...to report the news being made by the Soldiers. News people should remain invisible to the situation and should never make reference to themselves in any part of the story because they are not part of the story regardless of how close they are too it. Tom
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:53 am

airborne1968 wrote:The article points to a larger issue you see more and more these days, that news people are making themselves the subject of a story because they happen to be IVO an event, when they should be focusing on the reason why they are there I the first place...to report the news being made by the Soldiers. News people should remain invisible to the situation and should never make reference to themselves in any part of the story because they are not part of the story regardless of how close they are too it. Tom

I agree. I have a low opinion of the press these days and it seems to me they will do anything to make themselves look good. Make up a story about a rape and nobody cares, lie about a shooting in Ferguson and nobody cares and New York Times' reporters have been busted a few times just making up stories. Journalism with integrity seems to be dead these days.
    zvez
    zvez
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by zvez Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:28 pm

so you guys know I tend to be devils advocate sometimes.

This begs the question, if Brian Williams is being hammered for lying, how come Chris Kyle gets a pass for his fabrications (proven he made up the Jesse Ventura story, as well as shooting two carjackers and sniping during Katrina).

I've been amazed that Kyle did that, as his REAL accomplishments speak for themselves. I just find it interesting that one guy is being raked over the coals (I'm talking about overall, not just the forum) while another is given a free pass.
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:20 pm

zvez wrote:so you guys know I tend to be devils advocate sometimes.

This begs the question, if Brian Williams is being hammered for lying, how come Chris Kyle gets a pass for his fabrications (proven he made up the Jesse Ventura story, as well as shooting two carjackers and sniping during Katrina).

I've been amazed that Kyle did that, as his REAL accomplishments speak for themselves. I just find it interesting that one guy is being raked over the coals (I'm talking about overall, not just the forum) while another is given a free pass.

Excellent, thank you! And I thought it was just me. If Kyle lied or embellished those incidents how do I believe anything that he wrote? And there are additional issues with the book beyond what is stated above. These are some of the reasons that I refuse to pay my hard earned money toward American Sniper's fabricated and fictionalized view of "history." There are other issues with the film as well but they would be spoilers.

Other than Kyle's service (which I am not besmirching) there is no difference between the two as far as I am concerned. Brand me as the heretic ....

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    Grey Marine82
    Grey Marine82
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by Grey Marine82 Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:30 pm

I agree with Tom that many journalists have forgotten that the story should be about the soldiers, Marines, etc and their experiences and less about themselves. My experience with journalists dealt with some of our local reporters from WBTV of Charlotte, NC. Steve Crump (whom I met in Bosnia in 97) did a piece on local soldiers serving at Tuzla. Also, Steve Ohnesorge with whom I was on several convoys in Iraq in 04 and was also from WBTV, Charlotte.These guys did a good job on telling the story of local soldiers for their audience.I liked them as people and they were "down to Earth" and listened to us. I have a lot of respect for these two gentlemen!That's my two cents for whatever it is worth!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 3:19 am