OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

How to read markings on combat vehicles ? need help to identify military vehicles

P-E
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

How to read markings on combat vehicles ? need help to identify military vehicles Empty How to read markings on combat vehicles ? need help to identify military vehicles

Post by P-E Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Hello all,

Is there somebody here who is familiar with markings on military vehicles ? I try to identify combat vehicles on some pictures of the invasion of Iraq based on their markings, but it's very difficult and I didn't find information online... for example, some vehicles have markings like :

How to read markings on combat vehicles ? need help to identify military vehicles Milita10

What is the meaning of those markings ? how can we read them ?

Thanks for your help !

P-E
    RedLegGI
    RedLegGI

How to read markings on combat vehicles ? need help to identify military vehicles Empty Re: How to read markings on combat vehicles ? need help to identify military vehicles

Post by RedLegGI Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Typically you would read them as numeral - numeral. So the first pic would be Three - Seven.

Reading a normal number, lets say its non invasion that would be 3rd platoon, 7th vehicle.

Another possibility could be 3rd platoon, platoon sergeant's vehicle. 7 being designator for NCO of whatever element. 6 would be the Co of the unit or element.

I also think your last pic is 40 instead of 90. IIRC the zero refers to an officer of some kind at BN level or higher.

hope this helps!

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 am