How to read markings on combat vehicles ? need help to identify military vehicles

P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

How to read markings on combat vehicles ? need help to identify military vehicles

Post by P-E on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Hello all,

Is there somebody here who is familiar with markings on military vehicles ? I try to identify combat vehicles on some pictures of the invasion of Iraq based on their markings, but it's very difficult and I didn't find information online... for example, some vehicles have markings like :

What is the meaning of those markings ? how can we read them ?

Thanks for your help !

P-E

"As you know, you go to war with the Army you have. They're not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time. You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up..." - Donald Rumsfeld (Camp Buehring, KU - Dec. 8, 2004)

See my current collection of desert SSI HERE
    See my current collection of desert Badges (ranks, qualification badges, Branch of Service) HERE
    See my files in PDF on scribd.com HERE
    See my collection of jackets HERE
    RedLegGI

Re: How to read markings on combat vehicles ? need help to identify military vehicles

Post by RedLegGI on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Typically you would read them as numeral - numeral. So the first pic would be Three - Seven.

Reading a normal number, lets say its non invasion that would be 3rd platoon, 7th vehicle.

Another possibility could be 3rd platoon, platoon sergeant's vehicle. 7 being designator for NCO of whatever element. 6 would be the Co of the unit or element.

I also think your last pic is 40 instead of 90. IIRC the zero refers to an officer of some kind at BN level or higher.

hope this helps!

Current date/time is Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:27 am