OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Help with a little Unit Research Please help out (Photograph)

mondo_fondo
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Help with a little Unit Research Please help out (Photograph) Empty Help with a little Unit Research Please help out (Photograph)

Post by mondo_fondo Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:16 pm

The other day I was in an antique store, and there was a grouping of medals, pins, patches, etc. No name tapes or pictures.  there was a note on it that saidStryker Regiment 9th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry division, Battle of Fallujah.  I know that 3rd ID wasn't there, but I called the seller and he said that he bought it from a storage locker from fort Lewis and he said he did some research on all the pins and items and says the soldier  was in Fallujah.  Strykers were in Fallujah, as it says House to House by David Bellavia.  Any little bit will help.  I am just a little confused.
    Darktrooper
    Darktrooper

Help with a little Unit Research Please help out (Photograph) Empty Re: Help with a little Unit Research Please help out (Photograph)

Post by Darktrooper Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:35 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

http://www.manchu.org/linage/iraq.htm

The 9th infantry Regiment "the Manchu's" are currently part of the 2nd ID

The first battle of Fallujah had no striker units.

The second battle of Fallujah in 2004, 2 striker regiments were there, the 5th Infantry and 14th Cavalry
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Help with a little Unit Research Please help out (Photograph) Empty Re: Help with a little Unit Research Please help out (Photograph)

Post by kriegsmodell Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:47 pm

mondo_fondo wrote:The other day I was in an antique store, and there was a grouping of medals, pins, patches, etc. No name tapes or pictures.  there was a note on it that saidStryker Regiment 9th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry division, Battle of Fallujah.  I know that 3rd ID wasn't there, but I called the seller and he said that he bought it from a storage locker from fort Lewis and he said he did some research on all the pins and items and says the soldier  was in Fallujah.  Strykers were in Fallujah, as it says House to House by David Bellavia.  Any little bit will help.  I am just a little confused.

When you mention the Fort Lewis area the first thing that comes to mind is the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division from Lewis which was the first US Army unit to field and deploy the Stryker vehicles in combat, November 2003 to November 2004 in Iraq. They also pulled a second deployment to Baqubah, Iraq late Spring of 2006 and returned home in September 2007. If this might help .....
    mondo_fondo
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Help with a little Unit Research Please help out (Photograph) Empty Help with Unit research please help me out. much needed.(Pictures)

Post by mondo_fondo Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey guys, i posted a few days ago about 9th infantry in Fallujah. I was able to get a picture of the medal grouping. Please let me know, I am very confused. I have pictures that I took today.

Help with a little Unit Research Please help out (Photograph) Photo_10
    Darktrooper
    Darktrooper

Post by Darktrooper Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:02 pm

It looks like he started as Infantry and reclassed to MP or vice versa. the unit crests above the CAB are the 9th Infantry "Manchus" and the one next to it is the Military District of Washington.
    mondo_fondo
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by mondo_fondo Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Was he in fallujah? The owner wants 100 for it. I would get it if I knew for sure this owner was in fallujah but is it worth taking that risk?
    Darktrooper
    Darktrooper

Post by Darktrooper Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 pm

the 9th infantry was not in fallujah
    Longbranch
    Longbranch
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by Longbranch Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:21 am

The 9th Infantry Regiment may not have been in Fallujah, but they were certainly in Ramadi, which is only about 20-30 miles away...

You are seriously considering $100 for this lot? Not trying to diminish any vet's items or medals, but isn't that awfully close to what a WW2 medal grouping with nearly identical types of items would sell for? I know if I had a WW2 medal grouping with an Army Good Conduct Medal, a few campaign medals, WW2 Victory Medal, a period correct clutch-back CIB, and misc. run of the mill WW2 patches, chevrons, buttons, and pins, all completely un-named and un-attributed, I'd think asking $100 would be a bit on the high side.

Furthermore, I wouldn't recommend basing anything on the informed judgement of an antiques dealer that did a little internet "research". I've had dealers tell me some... well... "interesting" things from time to time. Unless this dealer has some other items they're not yet selling that supports their theory, I'd base any conclusions about the soldier that had this medal grouping solely on the contents of that riker case. Unfortunately, there's really not much information there to say where this vet may have served.

I would personally pass on this lot. Nothing there to tie everything together. No name. Just an antique dealer's word and the description on the tag. Everything that is in the case is basically the plastic baggie full of misc. insignia and patches that a LOT of vets from OEF/OIF/OND seem to have sitting around. Invest that $100 elsewhere.

Again... I hope I don't offend anybody with what I've written. That's one unfortunate part of the militaria market... you have to put a market "value" on someone's service to their country. Sometimes it makes me want to collect coins and stamps instead...

Last edited by Longbranch on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    mondo_fondo
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by mondo_fondo Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:40 am

Thank You very much Longbranch. I know what you mean. I will definitely think twice now. The only unit of the regiment that was at Fallujah was c Company 1-9. It isn't worth the risk. I would rather put 100 dollars towards a better grouping. thanks for the comment, much appreciated.
    Darktrooper
    Darktrooper

Post by Darktrooper Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:20 am

We warned you a year a so or go, buy the item not the story. As Longbranch said, this is a story you are getting sold.
    Longbranch
    Longbranch
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by Longbranch Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:49 am

Mondo_Fondo, dude... have you seen my 82nd Airborne grouping for sale over here at OEF/OIF Forum or over at USMF? If you are wanting to spend $100 on a really nice, guaranteed good-to-go direct from the vet army grouping, complete with insignia, ribbons, patches, badges, and even field used uniforms worn overseas, I've got one I'm trying to sell for $95. Something else to think about.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 am

I HIGHLY recommend you buy and read this book, Mondo_Fondo. Excellent read and it also has a list of units that participated in the battles for Fallujah.

New Dawn: The Battles for Fallujah by Richard S . Lowry

Here is a video link detailing the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnC1ONEm3OU

Help with a little Unit Research Please help out (Photograph) New_da10
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:49 am

In fact, here are some copies for sale on Ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XNew+Dawn+the+battles+for+fallujah&_nkw=New+Dawn+the+battles+for+fallujah&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 pm