OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
JKin
Nkomo
kriegsmodell
7 posters

Taliban Fighters Celebrate After 6 August 2011 CH-47 Chinook Shoot Down

kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Taliban Fighters Celebrate After 6 August 2011 CH-47 Chinook Shoot Down Empty Taliban Fighters Celebrate After 6 August 2011 CH-47 Chinook Shoot Down

Post by kriegsmodell Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Wanted to post this here regarding the 6 August 2011 incident in which a CH-47 transporting a QRF of DEVGRU and ANA personnel was downed by a Taliban fired RPG in Wardak Province, Afghanistan. Thirty one brave warriors were lost in this attack, the largest single loss of life in one engagement since the beginning of OEF. in continuing to research this incident, I stumbled upon a contemporary Al Jezeera news report which included video footage the network stated was provided by the Taliban. In the short video the Taliban are seen to be celebrating, singing, shooting rifles into the air, etc. The camera then zooms in on a number of fighters who are seen to be hugging and congratulating each other. Included in this group is the man pictured below who certainly appears to be wearing an ACU top in UCP complete with 1st Infantry Division SSI! I must admit that I was angered (an understatement) by this footage. Below are three screenshot stills from the news video report.

Note that in the stills you can clearly make out the velcro closures on the cuffs and collar. The sleeve pocket flap and velcro and even the slanted chest pockets and closures are also visible.

Taliban Fighters Celebrate After 6 August 2011 CH-47 Chinook Shoot Down Screen76

Taliban Fighters Celebrate After 6 August 2011 CH-47 Chinook Shoot Down Screen77

Taliban Fighters Celebrate After 6 August 2011 CH-47 Chinook Shoot Down Screen78

VIII - VI - XI
    Never Forget - Never Forgive
    TSAF

Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Taliban Fighters Celebrate After 6 August 2011 CH-47 Chinook Shoot Down Empty Re: Taliban Fighters Celebrate After 6 August 2011 CH-47 Chinook Shoot Down

Post by Nkomo Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:42 pm

I can only assume the ACU is captured. Mad Mad
    JKin
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Taliban Fighters Celebrate After 6 August 2011 CH-47 Chinook Shoot Down Empty Re: Taliban Fighters Celebrate After 6 August 2011 CH-47 Chinook Shoot Down

Post by JKin Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:47 pm

The ACU was most likely stolen off a base IMO.

But regardless, those shitheads can go get fucked. If those are actually the guys who shoot down the chinook then they are as a matter of fact dead. They were killed in an airstrike several days after the incident.
    MyZone
    MyZone
    Chief Warrant Officer Class I
    Chief Warrant Officer Class I

Post by MyZone Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:46 pm

The trigger man was killed by US Spec-OPS soon after....I read the reports.

JKin
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by JKin Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:09 pm

The leader of the cell as well as up to 12 of his other goons were killed too.
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:37 pm

JKin and MyZone are of course very correct. Within hours (less than 48) of the CH-47 disaster the Taliban fighters including their leader Mullah Mohibullah and the unnamed insurgent who fired the rocket propelled grenade which downed the helicopter were killed by airstrike in a JSOC directed action.

Although said to be contemporary to the downing of the CH-47 the Al Jezeera video may be file footage portraying other Taliban fighters completely removed from that event. Regardless, I am disturbed by the wearing of our uniform and insignia.

Last edited by kriegsmodell on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:39 pm

The Pentagon has refused to specify the exact number of Taliban killed indicating only that it was less than ten. I have read the AAR as well.

Red_Nek
    Red_Nek
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by Red_Nek Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:14 pm

I know that this might be an unpopular statement but aren't we doing the same when we pick/ capture enemy equipment to augment our own? IMO, the ACU top looks to clean and crisp to have been taken off of a dead soldier, let alone one that had been in a burning aircraft. I think that JKin's comment is probably closer to how old mullah mullah got it. I use to get pissed when I saw stuff like this, until I started looking at it as well played propaganda.

Dave
    gdclark
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by gdclark Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:16 am

US uniforms are easily obtained in theater. You can go down chicken street or any bazaar and buy every piece of uniform, equipment, footwear that you can find on Bagram. I also think it is a status symbol to wear camo. Early in the war, you could see TB with BDU pattern items, now it is ANA or even CRU or desert style clothing. I would imagine in the 80s there were Muj wearing Russian articles of clothing. I also agree that the uniform looks too new to be taken off a dead body, and whose body would it have been taken off of? Certainly not from the Tangi valley raid. patches, nametapes are everywhere in Kabul. I am in country now and buying deadstock from Afghans who used to run patch shops. To me, it boils down to the same thing as those who burn the US flag. Is it unsettling/ Sure. But I carry my patriotism inside so seeing a guy with a US uniform on doesn't bother me. In the same way that watching John Wayne movies where the Indians are wearing calvary gear doesn't bother me. It is just an article of clothing.
    msmith275
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by msmith275 Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi Lance - thanks for posting. It's important to remember that all these little bits of cloth and gear represent real people, who have done amazing things with their lives. Each patch or piece of webbing has a human story of service. To me, collecting is about telling those stories. Good on ya brother! Mark
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:40 am

msmith275 wrote:Hi Lance - thanks for posting. It's important to remember that all these little bits of cloth and gear represent real people, who have done amazing things with their lives. Each patch or piece of webbing has a human story of service.  To me, collecting is about telling those stories. Good on ya brother!  Mark

Thanks Mark,

Like to think that as collectors we are historians first. I certainly try to be. These things do have meaning. In many cases deep meaning. Hopefully we can be proper caretakers of this history and not lose sight of the sacrifices that so many have made. There is more to be said for preserving this history than mere accumulation or as an investment. My thoughts only .....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:07 pm