OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Drawings on SF vehicles in Iraq

P-E
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Drawings on SF vehicles in Iraq Empty Drawings on SF vehicles in Iraq

Post by P-E Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:06 pm

I've noticed that some special forces vehicles in Iraq has drawings on them. However, I don't know their meaning. Is there someone here able to help in identification ?

Drawings on SF vehicles in Iraq Diapos34

Drawings on SF vehicles in Iraq Markin10

I'm not 100% certain, but I guess the Black Sheep is the symbol for ODA 391 (and / or oda 392) because in the book "Roughneck Nine one", the chapter 6 is called "Birth of the Black Sheep" (page 43).

What's your thoughs guys ? Any help is welcome. If you've noticed others markings, please add them in this topic !  Wink 
    hardflip
    hardflip
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Drawings on SF vehicles in Iraq Empty Re: Drawings on SF vehicles in Iraq

Post by hardflip Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:20 am

Could those geometrical shapes be a mark of a Squadron? In WW2 "Diamond" was used to mark Regimental Headquarters for example.

And after a bit of surfing I found the following. Could it be similar in US Military as it is in Australian Army (Infantry)?

hardflip wrote:Animals and Unofficial logos

A number of logos and insignia have been found painted on vehicles. A Rhino belonging to an unknown unit has been found on a number of units.

A Camel is another example that has been found, and according to it's ex members, it signifys a vehicle attached to 26 Transport Squadron.

A stork with a baby was used by 158 Tank Transporter Troop

Another is of a running emu, and belongs to 8 TPT SQN (SA).

3CER has a paw print (Dingo print)
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:36 pm

ODA-391 has certainly used the Blacksheep (one word) moniker. They continue to use the nickname under their current ODA-3331 designation. Can't vouch one way or the other if that has anything to do with the vehicle stencil in the photograph however. My thoughts only .....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 am