OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting

MyZone
    MyZone
    Chief Warrant Officer Class I

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting Empty ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting

Post by MyZone Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Hello,

A guy I know showed this to me today. He's had it since 1984; he had aquired it from an SF friend of his who had participated in the Grenada invasion. The information I received was that the SF soldier pulled this off a Cuban soldier.  No tags, and only a faint marking inside (a small square with faded character inside). I thought I took a picture of the markings, but did not. scratch Originally, it had a mess kit, thin blanket, and name tag....but over the years since he has this, they were lost/misplaced. Nope, my friend would not give it up (sell it).

At any rate, I know some of you fellas collect many eras of kit. Please feel free to comment.....

Thanks,
    MZ

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting 100_8411

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting 100_8412

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting 100_8413

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting 100_8414

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting 100_8415

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting 100_8416

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting 100_8417
    RedLegGI
    RedLegGI

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting Empty Re: ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting

Post by RedLegGI Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:02 am

Did a quick search, and came up with this:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/soviet-backpack (google lead to e-bay, ebay lead to hate, hate lead to the darkside)
    MyZone
    MyZone

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting Empty Re: ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting

Post by MyZone Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:14 am

That looks to be the one....

Thanks,
    MZ♠
    RedLegGI
    RedLegGI

Post by RedLegGI Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:42 am

MyZone wrote:That looks to be the one....

Thanks,
    MZ♠️

I don't know why but when I looked at it, it struck me as something Russian, especially the button. Glad I could help Smile

Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:57 am

Soviet was my first guess as well. The Soviets, via Cuba, were pushing arms out all over Central America in the late 70's into the early 80's so the story is plausible - at least to me. Thanks!
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Story is 110% plausible, MZ.  I also have one of the exact same packs captured and brought back from Grenada.

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting Post-536

In case anyone else is interested, here are just a few of my items captured during Operation Urgent Fury. Also, another member of ours (Airborne1968) posted some of his collection as well.

Link: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/179076-captured-items-from-urgent-fury/
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 am

nkomo wrote:  Story is 110% plausible, MZ.  I also have one of the exact same packs captured and brought back from Grenada.

ID this backpack - Not OEF / OIF but still interesting Post-536

In case anyone else is interested, here are just a few of my items captured during Operation Urgent Fury.  Also, another member of ours (Airborne1968) posted some of his collection as well.

Link:  http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/179076-captured-items-from-urgent-fury/

Great thread on USMF Arch, I missed that one when you posted and very nice indeed.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks, Zeked.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:36 am