OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

To buy or not to buy.....or is it even worth it?

toasty13
    toasty13
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

To buy or not to buy.....or is it even worth it? Empty To buy or not to buy.....or is it even worth it?

Post by toasty13 Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:43 pm

So i was at a local pawn/surplus store and noticed a few uniform sets and was wondering.....is it worth the money? so i wanted to know other opinions.

Also to use this tread to help other get a group opinion to buy

Set #1
    To buy or not to buy.....or is it even worth it? 2012-010
    To buy or not to buy.....or is it even worth it? 2012-011
    Set #2
    To buy or not to buy.....or is it even worth it? 2012-012
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

To buy or not to buy.....or is it even worth it? Empty Re: To buy or not to buy.....or is it even worth it?

Post by Nkomo Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:24 pm

You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this topic. As of right now, there is more of a focus on DCU's than BDU's in the collecting community. There are several reasons for that and one of the main ones is that the DCU's have been to "war". The BDU's are often seen as "peace time" uniforms. I don't necessarily prescribe to that way of thinking. The main reason I don't collect BDU's is that I simply don't have the room. If the BDU's are part of a DCU grouping or if the BDU's are modified, then I'll buy them as well.

That being said, I might make an exception for these two because of the association with higher ranking US Army officers. The numbered collar insignia, the SF association with one, and the 82nd association with the other make these more desireable. As far as the price goes, that is about the maximum I would ever pay for a BDU set.

The next big question you have to ask yourself is this: Are you collecting these for yourself because of the history behind them or are you looking to turn these for a profit at a later date? If you are looking at these for the historical value, then these would make a great research project and would display nicely in a "man-cave" or "war room". If you are looking to resell at a later time, then I think you will have to sit on these uniforms for awhile to get any big money out of them.

This is just my opinion. I hope others will chime in and give their opinions as well.
    P-E
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

To buy or not to buy.....or is it even worth it? Empty Re: To buy or not to buy.....or is it even worth it?

Post by P-E Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:37 pm

nkomo wrote: You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this topic. As of right now, there is more of a focus on DCU's than BDU's in the collecting community. There are several reasons for that and one of the main ones is that the DCU's have been to "war". The BDU's are often seen as "peace time" uniforms. I don't necessarily prescribe to that way of thinking. The main reason I don't collect BDU's is that I simply don't have the room. If the BDU's are part of a DCU grouping or if the BDU's are modified, then I'll buy them as well.

That being said, I might make an exception for these two because of the association with higher ranking US Army officers. The numbered collar insignia, the SF association with one, and the 82nd association with the other make these more desireable. As far as the price goes, that is about the maximum I would ever pay for a BDU set.

The next big question you have to ask yourself is this: Are you collecting these for yourself because of the history behind them or are you looking to turn these for a profit at a later date? If you are looking at these for the historical value, then these would make a great research project and would display nicely in a "man-cave" or "war room". If you are looking to resell at a later time, then I think you will have to sit on these uniforms for awhile to get any big money out of them.

This is just my opinion. I hope others will chime in and give their opinions as well.

I totaly agree with you !

"As you know, you go to war with the Army you have. They're not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time. You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up..." - Donald Rumsfeld (Camp Buehring, KU - Dec. 8, 2004)

See my current collection of desert SSI HERE
    See my current collection of desert Badges (ranks, qualification badges, Branch of Service) HERE
    See my files in PDF on scribd.com HERE
    See my collection of jackets HERE
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:04 pm

P-E wrote:
    nkomo wrote: You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this topic. As of right now, there is more of a focus on DCU's than BDU's in the collecting community. There are several reasons for that and one of the main ones is that the DCU's have been to "war". The BDU's are often seen as "peace time" uniforms. I don't necessarily prescribe to that way of thinking. The main reason I don't collect BDU's is that I simply don't have the room. If the BDU's are part of a DCU grouping or if the BDU's are modified, then I'll buy them as well.

I totaly agree with you !

It is always hard to follow the likes of P.E. and nkomo and this is no exception!

I would only add this - the removed name tape from the first top is also an important matter to keep in mind when contemplating a purchase. In my opinion, the lack of a name tape greatly impacts the value (collectibility, historical, and resale) of the piece. My thoughts only .......

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:12 pm

For $30, no. Personally I'm not fan of BDUs because they are pretty much garrison/stateside uniform. But I do get modified BDUs because they were worn in theater. Or because it is part of the grouping. I once made a mistake by parting a BDU from the grouping.... Well, hiatus because it is BDU, but fortunately, he is a great friend, because he allowed me to buy it back.

Lance is correct about the uniforms lacking the name. I once bought ANY DCUs, even unnamed ones. One day I wanted to sell them to slim down my collection and it was hard to sell unnamed ones. I sometimes pick unnamed ones if it is from rare units or with nice badges.
    P-E
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:45 am

You've both right about the name tape, it's realy important and too many sellers don't realize that. But well, for the interesting insignia is the numbered officer collar badge, even on a BDU they are not so common I think, and the shoulder sleeve insignia : Special Operations Command Europe. And on a LTC jacket, I no often see the Combat Action Badge.

But you've right telling BDU are more common, easy to find and for not some money because it's not so interesting for many collectors. But again, it's depend what you collects. BDU are for sure realy nice too.

"As you know, you go to war with the Army you have. They're not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time. You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up..." - Donald Rumsfeld (Camp Buehring, KU - Dec. 8, 2004)

See my current collection of desert SSI HERE
    See my current collection of desert Badges (ranks, qualification badges, Branch of Service) HERE
    See my files in PDF on scribd.com HERE
    See my collection of jackets HERE

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:39 am