OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity

Ben
    Ben

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity Empty Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity

Post by Ben Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Some great photos of the Libyan rebel forces demonstrating their ability to think outside the box when devising ways to fight the forces loyal to Gaddafi. Some of the ideas may seem odd to those of us aware of modern military hardware, but they are impressive nonetheless, considering these fighters started out with almost nothing in regard to "proper hardware" necessary to take on a professional military force. But, as we can see, they have made due with what they have, much to Gaddafi's dismay.

Here's a few photos from the article, and the remainder can be seen in the link at the end of the post.

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity S_r13_RTR2LH8E

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity S_r14_RTR2NMIR
    Rebel soldiers repair weapons captured from forces loyal to Muammar Qaddafi at a workshop in Benghazi, on June 13, 2011 (Reuters/Esam Al-Fetori)

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity S_r24_26021198

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity S_r25_RTR2NE85
    A Libyan rebel fighter shows a weapon with a grenade launcher attachment which he said was taken from forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi. I want to know where the Libyans got this kind of hi-speed firepower... scratch

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity S_r30_19120966

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity S_r33_27129610
    DIY armoured fighting vehicle! Laughing

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity S_r34_27115734

The rest of the photos can be seen here.
    omaha
    omaha
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity Empty Re: Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity

Post by omaha Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:51 pm

"A Libyan rebel fighter shows a weapon with a grenade launcher attachment which he said was taken from forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi. I want to know where the Libyans got this kind of hi-speed firepower..."

according to Wikipedia

"Purchased 367 F2000 rifles along with other assorted lethal and non-lethal weapon systems from FN Herstal in 2008, and deliveries commenced in 2009. The export of the weapons was initially blocked over concerns of proliferation into other volatile regions. In the 2011 Libyan Civil War, Libyan rebel forces captured a number of these weapons from forces loyal to the Gaddafi regime."

Nice pick BTW Smile
    P-E
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:21 pm

A Libyan rebel fighter shows a weapon with a grenade launcher attachment which he said was taken from forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi. I want to know where the Libyans got this kind of hi-speed firepower..

That's a Belgian FN2000, made in Herstal. (For those who played little games, that's the weapon used in "Splinter Cell"). An extremly good weapon. Even the belgian army didn't have this firepower rifle ! They are used by some other security forces around the world, including USA, but not in Belgium ! Evil or Very Mad

FN Herstal is one of the biggest manufacture of weapon around the world. A friend of me works there as a weapon engineer.
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:39 pm

P-E wrote:An extremly good weapon. Even the belgian army didn't have this firepower rifle ! They are used by some other security forces around the world, including USA, but not in Belgium ! Evil or Very Mad
    FN Herstal makes a lot of nice weapons... I'm a fan of the FAL myself; coincidentally another rifle we've seen a lot of in the Libyan conflict.

Pierre, this is slightly off-topic, but what rifle does the Belgian Army use? I know that it is an FN weapon but I can't remember the name... I want to say the FNC but I'm not sure that's right.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Great video showing Rebel engineers building the improvised weapons.

Last edited by Mercenary25 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 pm

BMP turret mounted on the pick-up truck.

P-E
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Ben wrote:
    P-E wrote:An extremly good weapon. Even the belgian army didn't have this firepower rifle ! They are used by some other security forces around the world, including USA, but not in Belgium ! Evil or Very Mad
    FN Herstal makes a lot of nice weapons... I'm a fan of the FAL myself; coincidentally another rifle we've seen a lot of in the Libyan conflict.

Pierre, this is slightly off-topic, but what rifle does the Belgian Army use? I know that it is an FN weapon but I can't remember the name... I want to say the FNC but I'm not sure that's right.

That's right ! That's well the FNC ;

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity Intro514re7

Sorry Mercenary for the off topic ! I forgot to say that's an interesting topic, and I didn't imagine they did it. I never heart that before seeing your pictures.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:51 am

Is it just me or does anyone else see these pictures and think of "Mad Max" and "Road Warrior"?
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:43 am

nkomo wrote: Is it just me or does anyone else see these pictures and think of "Mad Max" and "Road Warrior"?
    You are not alone, Arch! My thoughts exactly. Laughing
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:56 am

Libyan Rebel's Weapons Ingenuity Road_warrior

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:59 am