OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Bagman6
Cap Camouflage Pattern I
Nkomo
7 posters

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set

Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Empty Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set

Post by Nkomo Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:07 pm

After a lengthy wait, I was finally got one of my "holy grail" items in yesterday.   A used set of Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard camo set and a new lizard M-65.  

The shirt is a bit of an oddity as the pockets are pleated, but all the other features are consistent with other known NA lizard sets.

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Ana310
    Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Ana510
    Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Ana210
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Empty Re: Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set

Post by Nkomo Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:09 pm

All three pieces have the white tags inside and if you look closely, you can make out an S in one of the tags.  That is also consistent with the NA lizard sets.

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Ana1310
    Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Ana12310
    Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Ana12311

Pants also have the cheap hook fastener.

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Ana12312[/b]

MyZone likes this post

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
    Staff Sergeant Class I
    Staff Sergeant Class I

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Empty Re: Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set

Post by Cap Camouflage Pattern I Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:09 pm

Fantastic find, now all you "need" is the field cap
    Cap Camouflage Pattern I
    Staff Sergeant Class I
    Staff Sergeant Class I

Post by Cap Camouflage Pattern I Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Btw here is a pic of a shirt with pleated pockets, looks like they got everything that was available, there is also a version of the field jacket with 4 pockets with sort of scalloped flaps that close with velcro. And of course the frogskin style camo in the same cuts.

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Gettyi31
    KABUL, AFGHANISTAN - SEPTEMBER 9: An Afghan police officer chants "Allah Akbar" or "God is Great" during a ceremony at Kabul Sports Stadium September 9, 2002 to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the death of Northern Alliance leader Ahmad Shah Massoud. Massoud was assassinated by two suicide bombers posing as Arab journalists on September 9, 2001, two days before the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. (Photo by Ami Vitale/Getty Images)
    Bagman6
    Bagman6

Post by Bagman6 Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Great addition to the collection. Congratulations. Really good picture find Cap. I'm always learning from the community.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:28 pm

Cap Camouflage Pattern I wrote:Fantastic find, now all you "need" is the field cap

I do indeed, but here is the problem. Most of these sets are brand new and so are the hats you find. My set is used and finding a used cap is going to prove difficult. Collector problems!
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 pm

Cap Camouflage Pattern I wrote:Btw here is a pic of a shirt with pleated pockets, looks like they got everything that was available, there is also a version of the field jacket with 4 pockets with sort of scalloped flaps that close with velcro. And of course the frogskin style camo in the same cuts.

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Gettyi31
    KABUL, AFGHANISTAN - SEPTEMBER 9: An Afghan police officer chants "Allah Akbar" or "God is Great" during a ceremony at Kabul Sports Stadium September 9, 2002 to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the death of Northern Alliance leader Ahmad Shah Massoud. Massoud was assassinated by two suicide bombers posing as Arab journalists on September 9, 2001, two days before the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. (Photo by Ami Vitale/Getty Images)
    Your powers to find obscure pictures never ceases to amaze me, Cap. Thank you so much!
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:41 pm

Bagman6 wrote:Great addition to the collection.  Congratulations.  Really good picture find Cap.  I'm always learning from the community.

Thanks, good sir!
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:40 pm

Wow what a great find Arch! My goodness that is a tough one to find and glad to hear it finally came through! Clete
    Cap Camouflage Pattern I
    Staff Sergeant Class I
    Staff Sergeant Class I

Post by Cap Camouflage Pattern I Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:13 am

Nkomo wrote:
    Cap Camouflage Pattern I wrote:Fantastic find, now all you "need" is the field cap

I do indeed, but here is the problem.  Most of these sets are brand new and so are the hats you find.  My set is used and finding a used cap is going to prove difficult.  Collector problems!

I certainly feel you on that!
    MyZone
    MyZone
    Chief Warrant Officer Class I
    Chief Warrant Officer Class I

Post by MyZone Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:46 am

Great set. Thanks for sharing
    MZ♠
    ripcord56
    ripcord56
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

Post by ripcord56 Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:45 pm

Found another photo of this uniform in use.

Strangely, but maybe not so strangely, it's being worn by an Iraqi..

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Irak-k10
    ripcord56
    ripcord56
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

Post by ripcord56 Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:45 pm

ripcord56 wrote:Found another photo of this beautiful uniform in use.

* unfortunately, I dont remember where this photo  came from. I believe it portrays Kurd or Yazidi militia member ; photo has been cropped.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:59 pm

WELL.....................here is a picture for you and a caption.  Now I have not been able to verify the accuracy of the caption, but if it is true....then it would help explain how it got to Iraq.

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Ana110

Sporting new uniforms from Iran, rebels of the Afghan opposition Northern Alliance stand guard at a memorial service for ethnic Pashtun leader Abdul Haq, who was executed by the Taliban militia three days before, October 29, 2001 in Golbahar, Afghanistan. Haq's death has dealt a blow to US efforts to build a multi-ethnic government. (Photo by Scott Peterson/Getty Images)
    ripcord56
    ripcord56
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

Post by ripcord56 Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:24 am

Great photo.

That puts another spin on this uniform.   The pattern is essentially recolored Portuguese Lizard with dominant green colors; it has been copied by at least 2 other countries.  And now we have 3..
    Cap Camouflage Pattern I
    Staff Sergeant Class I
    Staff Sergeant Class I

Post by Cap Camouflage Pattern I Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 am

Yeah the uniforms came from Iran, several news articles from the time mention new uniforms coming from Iran in boxes marked in Persian
    Cap Camouflage Pattern I
    Staff Sergeant Class I
    Staff Sergeant Class I

Post by Cap Camouflage Pattern I Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:41 am

Little appears uniform for Taliban foes BY BY PAUL WATSON

The Iranian-made uniform was one of thousands that the anti-Taliban Northern Alliance has been handing out over the past few days to soldiers who have spent years fighting in whatever they happened to be wearing.

Soldiers picked up new uniforms from cartons marked "Worker Suits" in English above this sentence in Persian: "These uniforms are for soldiers only." The seven box loads were enough to outfit 140 soldiers, but there weren't enough belts or boots for all of them, said Abdul Hafiz, a commander who recorded the distribution on a scrap of paper.
    ripcord56
    ripcord56
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

Post by ripcord56 Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:16 pm

Great info.

Was under the impression these uniforms were made in China.

First photo shows Chinese made T shirt in this pattern, but trousers and shirts were also produced in China.

2nd photo shows pattern of  T shirt compared to Portuguese (M985 ) inspired Mozambique green lizard.

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Dscn9055

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Dscn9056
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:18 pm

I believe the uniforms were made in China, but is entirely possible the uniforms came to the Northern Alliance via Iran. That time period is very cloudy when it comes to who was equipping who.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:18 pm

Cap Camouflage Pattern I wrote:Little appears uniform for Taliban foes BY BY PAUL WATSON

The Iranian-made uniform was one of thousands that the anti-Taliban Northern Alliance has been handing out over the past few days to soldiers who have spent years fighting in whatever they happened to be wearing.

Soldiers picked up new uniforms from cartons marked "Worker Suits" in English above this sentence in Persian: "These uniforms are for soldiers only." The seven box loads were enough to outfit 140 soldiers, but there weren't enough belts or boots for all of them, said Abdul Hafiz, a commander who recorded the distribution on a scrap of paper.
    Excellent research as usual, Cap.
    Cap Camouflage Pattern I
    Staff Sergeant Class I
    Staff Sergeant Class I

Post by Cap Camouflage Pattern I Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:36 pm

Nkomo wrote:  I believe the uniforms were made in China, but is entirely possible the uniforms came to the Northern Alliance via Iran. 

That seems likely to me

ripcord56 wrote:Found another photo of this uniform in use.

Very interesting, it looks like a different cut, look at the pocket flaps, they slope down to the buttons, while the NA ones the flaps are straight, thanks for posting that
    taucco
    taucco
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by taucco Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:37 pm

Wasn't that Camouflage supposed to be old cinese opfor camouflage? I Remember overstock of material being sold as such. NA was seen also wearing what looked like a chinese spot pattern (duck hunter) with a darker green base.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:20 pm

taucco wrote:Wasn't that Camouflage supposed to be old cinese opfor camouflage? I Remember overstock of material being sold as such. NA was seen also wearing what looked like a chinese spot pattern (duck hunter) with a darker green base.

I remember what you are talking about and there was some in Chinese cut as well. I used to own a set until I sold it off as it was not the NA version.

As to your question about the duck hunter camouflage...the NA did use that as well and is also on my "holy grail" list. That one was also made in China.
    taucco
    taucco
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by taucco Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:05 am

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Screen10
    ripcord56
    ripcord56
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

Post by ripcord56 Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:10 pm

Cap Camouflage Pattern I wrote:
    Nkomo wrote:  I believe the uniforms were made in China, but is entirely possible the uniforms came to the Northern Alliance via Iran. 

That seems likely to me

Very interesting, it looks like a different cut, look at the pocket flaps, they slope down to the buttons, while the NA ones the flaps are straight, thanks for posting that

Quite welcome.  I see that.   Looks similar to this Mozambique shirt, but have never seen one with long sleeves.  Doesn't mean they don't exist; I just have not seen one.

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Dscn8035
    ripcord56
    ripcord56
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

Post by ripcord56 Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:13 pm

Found an unedited version of this photo..

Afghan Northern Alliance Lizard Set Irak-k11

MyZone likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:33 am