Soviet Helmet used by Afghan police

PaulR
    Corporal
    Corporal

Soviet Helmet used by Afghan police Empty Soviet Helmet used by Afghan police

Post by PaulR on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:03 pm

I am not really into this type of thing, but I could not pass up the deal on this helmet. I have never seen one before and I doubt that I will see one again anytime soon. The price of this helmet was far less than an unmodified Soviet helmet of this era. Too good to pass up.

I want your thoughts on this. Are these common? When were they used? I know that they are definitely post US invasion, but surely they are all using kevelar by now.

Soviet Helmet used by Afghan police Soviet11

Soviet Helmet used by Afghan police Soviet12

Soviet Helmet used by Afghan police Soviet13
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Soviet Helmet used by Afghan police Empty Re: Soviet Helmet used by Afghan police

Post by Nkomo on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm

GREAT piece, Paul. Thanks for sharing!
    aussie digger
    aussie digger

Soviet Helmet used by Afghan police Empty Re: Soviet Helmet used by Afghan police

Post by aussie digger on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Great helmet! I say painted up ones like this are reasonably uncommon. As for time frame I couldnt say, there is such a random assortment of equipment in use that it could be from any period right upto the present.
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 am

Great helmet. Wish I could help you date it but I really am not sure. I agree with Aussie Digger in that they used whatever they had on hand at the time.

I tried on one one time and they are really uncomfortable to wear.
    PaulR
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by PaulR on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks for the kind endorsements. I was really excited to find it. I saw it at the flea market, priced at 90 dollars. For about a couple of months, I could not get it out of my mind. I finally returned and chatted the seller up on it. After a couple of hours, I was able to walk away with it for significantly less.

I am pretty psyched to have found it. The bummer is that I know that someone liked it enough to carry it all the way back to the states, just to be compelled to sell it off.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:06 am