Afghan Commando Knife

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Afghan Commando Knife

Post by nkomo on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 pm

I have had this for awhile, but never got around to posting it for several reasons. One big reason was that I wasn't 100% sure who it was used by.

The other day, I was looking at the Afghan Special Forces page on Facebook and I found a picture of an Afghan Commando wearing the same make of knife on his belt.

I don't think this type knife is an issue piece. Maybe a private purchase piece.

As you can see, my knife has been spray painted a brown at one time to make it more color suitable for a desert environment. Blade is extremely heavy. Handle has a small survival kit in a plastic case (matches, striker, hooks, fishing line, etc) and the handle cap is a small compass.

Picture of the knife in use with the Afghan Commandos.

aussie digger

Re: Afghan Commando Knife

Post by aussie digger on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:29 am

Great piece Arch! Very secure clip on that thing too!

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:46 am

Thanks for the reply and comment, Jason.

kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Nice piece, Arch. I would agree, most probably a private purchase item.

Any idea where this was made?

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.

H338
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by H338 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:39 pm

Nice...A quick bit of googling has told me the knife is originally made by a company called "AITOR" however i daresay if this is from afghan it will be a copy..while i was there you could walk into most stalls at the markets and pick up perfect copys of almost every brand of knife for less than the price of your daily green beans....some even came with mildly humourous misspelt warranty cards!

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:50 pm

Aussie Digger and I were discussing this knife last night and we both believe it to be a copy. In fact, I would bet money on it being a Chinese copy. With that being said, the knife does feel like it is relatively well made.

Thanks for the comments and information. fellers.

warloch
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by warloch on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Photo was probably taken near Ghazni as the guy in the background is Polish.

Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 pm

[quote="nkomo"] I have had this for awhile, but never got around to posting it for several reasons. One big reason was that I wasn't 100% sure who it was used by.

The other day, I was looking at the Afghan Special Forces page on Facebook and I found a picture of an Afghan Commando wearing the same make of knife on his belt.

[b] The Afghanistan special forces has a face book page - for some reason that just cracks me up!

Bluehawk
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Bluehawk on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:28 am

nkomo wrote: ... I would bet money on it being a Chinese copy. With that being said, the knife does feel like it is relatively well made.
    In support of which the little survival kit capsule definitely does have Chinese writing on it. In fact, the last character on the right end says the equivalent of "the road", "the path" or "the way."

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:33 pm

warloch wrote:Photo was probably taken near Ghazni as the guy in the background is Polish.

Good eye. Very possibly could be.

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:34 pm

[quote="Zeked"]
    nkomo wrote: I have had this for awhile, but never got around to posting it for several reasons. One big reason was that I wasn't 100% sure who it was used by.

[b] The Afghanistan special forces has a face book page - for some reason that just cracks me up!

They do and so does the Iraqi SOF. Great reference pictures.

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Bluehawk wrote:
    nkomo wrote: ... I would bet money on it being a Chinese copy. With that being said, the knife does feel like it is relatively well made.
    In support of which the little survival kit capsule definitely does have Chinese writing on it. In fact, the last character on the right end says the equivalent of "the road", "the path" or "the way."

Thanks for the translation, Bluehawk. Much appreciated.

Longbranch
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by Longbranch on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Arch, where the hell do you find something like this? Seems pretty random!

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Random is my speciality. Laughing PM inbound, good sir.

airborne1968
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by airborne1968 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:48 pm

I believe they sell the same knife at the CAMP MONTRAND bazaar. They sell all kinds of knock off knives. I'll send pics to my "contact" to have him check it out.

Tom

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:09 am

Tom,
    I am sure it is a knock off knife and I am sure they are found at the bazaars. Would be interesting to know what bazaars they were sold at though. Thanks for checking.

I wish we could make a reference list of the various places where patches, knives, uniforms, etc were bought and sold. That would be great for future reference.

Current date/time is Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:36 am