OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Iraqi Helmets... Not So Cheap Any More!!!

Longbranch
    Longbranch
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Iraqi Helmets... Not So Cheap Any More!!! Empty Iraqi Helmets... Not So Cheap Any More!!!

Post by Longbranch Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 am

Hey All,

I've been following the prices on Iraqi helmets... and let me tell you, they are quickly digging deep into the category of "high end" militaria. While the fairly common M80 helmets (and their later Iraqi made M90 and M90/03 counterparts) are typically under $100, there are others that are selling up into the 4 digit range. Furthermore, desert tan painted M80 helmets with painted insignia are also selling for hundreds of dollars. Check these out:

Iraqi PASGT style helmet- $1,009: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iraqi-Army-issued-helmet-/330676048883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfdd413f3#ht_500wt_1204

Iraqi M80 "Medic" helmet- $500: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iraqi-Medic-Helmet-Gulf-War-1-Desert-Storm-Military-Bring-Back-Rare-/160721879079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256bc54027#ht_1103wt_956

Iraqi M90 helmet- $100: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRAQ-GULF-WAR-IRAQI-M-90-Combat-Helmet-Near-Mint-/130637641269?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6a9c3635#ht_514wt_1189

Just thought it was interesting to see the high bids some of these helmets are fetching... Obviously, the uncommon variants (like the composite PASGT type helmet above, the Fedayeen helmets, earlier Iraqi made Kevlar PASGT type helmets, etc.) are fetching the super high prices, but as noted, even the common helmet types are starting to exit the realm of "affordable", especially when they have some painted insignia on them.

Makes me feel bad I didn't win a really sweet Iraqi made PASGT type helmet off Ebay a while back... it had an old USGI 6-color desert cover on it so it looked like a standard US PASGT helmet unless you looked closely. Sold for a bit over $200.... sigh.....
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee

Iraqi Helmets... Not So Cheap Any More!!! Empty Re: Iraqi Helmets... Not So Cheap Any More!!!

Post by Easy Gee Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks for this info, very useful guide.

I am very pleased I got some sweet lids when I did and when they were dirt cheap, I do feel sorry for up and coming lid collectors though, it doesn't really give them a chance at these prices.

I am especially surprised by the Iraqi Pasgt style lid affraid
    rob8066
    rob8066
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Iraqi Helmets... Not So Cheap Any More!!! Empty Re: Iraqi Helmets... Not So Cheap Any More!!!

Post by rob8066 Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:43 pm

It's like any item, purchase from E Bay & you'll usually pay over the odds.

I picked up a near new Republican Guard green helmet for £30 last year.

It's all a collectors game.

Great post though, thank you.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Like you said, the Iraqi PASGT style helmets have ALWAYS been exceedingly rare. I have seen only a handful in my collecting experience and all were either used by the Republican Guard or other elite forces. I do not think $1,000 is too far out of line for those types at all. I would bet 99% of most Iraqi collections are missing that type helmet.

As for the other two.....a little suprising to me. Again, Iraqi medic helmets are rare. I have been collecting Iraqi items since 1991 and have seen only a handful, but $500 seems a bit much. The M90 helmet, I'd have expected to bring $60 to $75.

I do believe that one of the reasons we are seeing an increase in prices on Iraqi items is because of the article Military Trader wrote about the hottest collecting areas of 2012. One of the predicted areas of increase in value is items from Desert Storm, OEF, and OIF. Seems like other collectors are jumping on the band wagon trying to buy collectibles for investment or trying to get a good "bargain" now. Whatever the case, our little area of collecting appears to no longer be a secret.

Longbranch
    Longbranch
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by Longbranch Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Military Trader is doing bad things to us!

First, an article about US kevlar helmets... now one extolling the virtues of DS/DS/OEF/OIF/OND collecting? When did that article come out, because there seems to have been a large hike in prices in the last 30 days.

While I can understand the rarity of the Iraqi PASGT type helmets, having them already soaring into the $1,000+ range seems pretty crazy, especially since a lot of these "collectibles" are likely still in use. The PASGT style helmet above is the first of its kind I've seen sell. I've heard of this type from returning vets, noting it's cheap construction. There is an earlier Iraqi PASGT type helmet which has a far higher level of quality and looks almost identical to a US PASGT, so it'll be interesting seeing the price difference between the two.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:18 pm

I have one of the Iraqi PASGT's that came back from Desert Storm from a 2nd Armored Division soldier. I bought this one for $50 back in 1994. This one one was made in South Korea by H.H.D. This one is one of the EARLY Iraqi PASGT's. The one the guy sold, looks to be one of the newer ones. I wonder if the buyer got this one confused with the older style?
    Link: https://oefoif.forumotion.net/t1078-iraqi-kevlar-helmet-copy-of-the-us-pasgt

I remember seeing a Iraqi PASGT helmet painted black and had Iraqi para wings painted on the front sell for close to $1,000 ( I THINK) back a few years ago. I would have loved to have had that one, but the price was way too rich for my blood. I started collecting this stuff back when the US soldiers started rotating back from Desert Storm. I can remember buying Iraqi helmets for $10 to $20 a piece. Complete camouflage and OD uniforms for $15 a piece. Tanker helmets for $15 a piece. Berets for $1 to $5 a piece. That was all back in the old days. Now the prices are starting to spike. Oh well.....

Military Trader links: http://www.militarytrader.com/jagfile/how-will-war-in-iraq-impact-hobby

http://www.militarytrader.com/jagfile/militaria-top-10-what%e2%80%99s-going-to-be-hot-in-2012

Read it and weep, fellers. Our "secret" hobby is no longer a secret. You can bet that prices will go up. It was inevitable that this day would come.
    Longbranch
    Longbranch
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by Longbranch Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Interesting articles... thanks for posting the links to them.

I do disagree with a few of their points. They seem to be missing a few lively segments of OEF/OIF/OND collecting. They stated that uniforms will be stagnant, except those used by special operations forces. Having said that, there are a LOT of standard uniforms selling $50 plus, which is FAR higher than their surplus value. Very basic, minimally patched/badged DCUs don't sell well, but a nicely badged (especially combat badges) and named DCUs from personnel in a desirable unit can fetch pretty good money.

They also overlook how difficult it is to find fully patched/badged DCUs at this point. It's not really that easy any more for most people to find these things.

Personally, I feel that we are taking too many of the concepts from WWII collecting, and applying it to modern militaria collecting. I feel this is a whole different ball game. Modern militaria collectors WANT dirty, torn, field-used gear. We want the stuff that was THERE. I don't see a lot of badge collectors. I don't see a lot of dress uniform collectors. I don't see a lot of "mint condition" collectors. Heck, with a whole new generation of people playing video games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, I don't see this trend changing. We are about the actual pieces of history that were "witness" to the events of OEF/OIF/OND... not so much just the story (if that makes any sense).

Just my opinion.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:59 pm

LB,
    I couldn't have said it better myself. You have summed up about 99% of the way modern collectors think.
    airborne1968
    airborne1968
    Staff Sergeant Class II
    Staff Sergeant Class II

Post by airborne1968 Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:58 pm

Thought I would revisit this thread to see if everyone thinks the situation is still the same or if it has changed? I know during the time period when this thread started there was one individual who was driving up the prices because they had the money and absolutely had to buy the item, even if they already had four of them. I think most item prices have leveled to realistic prices and more people are starting to realize which pieces are hard to come by. On that note, I just picked up an early Iraqi PASGT in NOS condition with the HHD sticker inside. It came with another M80 type helmet but that one is molded in tan and has tan suspension and chinstraps...Kuwaiti Army? I will post pics in the helmet thread.
    Longbranch
    Longbranch
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by Longbranch Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:32 pm

The M80 type helmet in tan could simply be an M90 without the rubber bumper. In fact, your description sounds exactly like that (tan suspension, chinstraps, molded shell, etc.)

Personally, I have sold off all of the Iraqi helmets I had, and I did pretty well on them. I'm sure they will get harder to find and more expensive, but most of the examples I had went for $75-$100 each (granted they were all excellent examples).

Basically, excellent-like new helmets get a lot of interest, and well used but complete helmets with painted on unit markings do well also. The Fedayeen helmets generally always go for $500-$1,000. The Iraqi HHD PASGT helmets are somewhat all over the place, depending on whether or not the person selling it knows what they have, whether or not the prospective buyers know what it is, and who knows what other factors may be involved. I've seen them sell for less than $200, and others push up to the $1,000 mark.

The common, abused, M80 shell missing the suspension doesn't sell well, which is to be expected.
    airborne1968
    airborne1968
    Staff Sergeant Class II
    Staff Sergeant Class II

Post by airborne1968 Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:13 pm

The tan helmet I just picked up is not an M90. I believe it is a Korean made variant of the M80 but not for Iraq. The tan suspension and chin straps are thinner and similar in color to the Iraqi P44 web gear (unissued) but the hardware matches that provided in Korean made Iraqi M80s. There is a protective seal added to the edge similar to US PASGTs as well and looks nothing like an M90 bumper. I took pics last night so I'll post them later today.

As for Iraqi PASGT helmets, most of those sold online have actually been US PASGTs painted with symbols or wash or were issued to the post 2003 IA. Those are the type that went up to $200. A true Iraqi (HHD marked) PASGT has several distinct features and markings that tell it apart from all others; even without the sticker. This type sells from $500 and higher and will usually fetch more than a Fedayeen helmet.

I agree most clean but complete M80s and M90s bring in $75 to $100. Incomplete helmets from $15 to $50 depending on the condition and number of missing items.
    Longbranch
    Longbranch
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by Longbranch Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:37 pm

airborne1968 wrote:
    As for Iraqi PASGT helmets, most of those sold online have actually been US PASGTs painted with symbols or wash or were issued to the post 2003 IA.  Those are the type that went up to $200.  A true Iraqi (HHD marked) PASGT has several distinct features and markings that tell it apart from all others; even without the sticker.  This type sells from $500 and higher and will usually fetch more than a Fedayeen helmet.

Yes, I have seen the Iraqi marked standard U.S. PASGT helmets sell for between $100-$200. However, there have been Iraqi HHD PASGT helmets that have sold, even on Ebay, in the $200-$500 range. I bid on a really cool example about 3-4 years ago that was obviously a desert storm bringback. It was listed as a regular "army kevlar helmet" and had a U.S. 6-color desert cover on it that was incredibly faded and stained, but was fitted onto a funky PASGT shell with weird suspension webbing. Looks like a returning vet picked up an Iraqi HHD PASGT in the field, and upon returning home, put his used helmet cover onto his new souvenir. You could just barely see the HHD sticker inside the helmet. Went for something like $213.

The Iraqi PASGT helmets are obscure enough that many people don't know about them, and it's sometimes possible to find one at a good price.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:34 pm