OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan.

MyZone
    MyZone
    Chief Warrant Officer Class I

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. Empty Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan.

Post by MyZone Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Picked these up today....bring-back items.

I'm not an authority on ancient coins, but I will buy just about anything that is old and/or cool. Cool

All input is welcome ~ Thanks
    MZ

FRONT SIDE
    Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. 100_6710

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. 100_6711

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. 100_6712

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. 100_6713

BACK SIDE

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. 100_6714

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. 100_6715

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. 100_6716

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. 100_6717

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. 100_6810

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. Empty Re: Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:54 am

I dont think these are genuine roman coins. I've encountered big numbers of these at markets in Northern Africa, and they were priced too low for being original. Anyway, these are cool souvenirs, but nothing more.

Just my 2 ( roman ) cents.

Frederik

Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan. Empty Re: Some coins that were bring-backs from Afghanistan.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:58 am

By the way, i believe afghanistan was far away from the roman empire, and i dont think they were ever a "provincia" of the RE, so the chance of finding original Roman coins in Afghanistan is practically zero.

Frederik

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:12 am

All right, i've had a second look at these and i realised these are supposed to be Greek coins due to the greek alphabet.in fact, during the reign of Alexander the Great, the land which we call now "Afghanistan" belonged to the big, Greek empire. The coins pictured here have actually existed and were used during 336-323 BC. That seated old guy with a bird is, for example, a famous design.

It is a fact that these type of coins have been found in the provinces of Afghanistan. However, they would hve been made of silver ( sometimes bronze as well ) but i dont think Iron/steel has been used for making coins ( in that particular era ). I still doubt their originality.

Frederik
    MyZone
    MyZone

Post by MyZone Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:00 pm

I had em ID'd by a pro in the business..... ALL Fake.

I figured they were....All the real stuff was gone long ago.

pig

MZ~
    aussie digger
    aussie digger

Post by aussie digger Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:49 am

That sounds about right they can be pretty sneaky. For anyone that goes there, dont trust the merchants gem tester at any market Wink I bought back a piece if what looks to be Greek pottery I found in a recently ploughed field whilst on patrol.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:35 pm

A photo would be interesting ! ( but off topic Sad )

Frederik
    MyZone
    MyZone

Post by MyZone Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Anybody else have fake coins to show ?

Always interested in seeing new and exciting fake finds ~

MZ♠️

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm