OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Museum needs help

ScottG
    ScottG
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Museum needs help Empty Museum needs help

Post by ScottG Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Hello everyone. I am writing on behalf of the Yankee Air Museum in Michigan. I currently volunteer here and am in the process of doing an inventory of the collection as well as updating and expanding displays. This museum is located at Willow Run Airport just west of Detroit in Van Buren Township. It is the site of the former Ford B-24 Liberator Bomber plant from WWII. So the theme has always been aviation. In 2003 there was a fire that destroyed the museum as well as many aircraft and the last original hangar from WWII.
    Since that time the museum has aquired new property as well as new items in the collection and the response has been overwhelming. We have received thousands of items from WWI, WWII and beyond. But that is where it ends. The beyond part is very much lacking and we are getting ready to shift the focus of the museum to the Vietnam through OEF/OIF era. We will never lose sight of WWI WWII and Korea, but we feel a new chapter needs to be told. We have recently partnered with many local groups and have fully restored an H model UH1H (Huey) to match the ship flown by one of our members, Jerry Towler in 1965. Jerry was the "stick buddy" of Robert Mason who authored the book "Chickenhawk". With this static display will be mannequins in period attire from all sides of the war. There will also be an F-4 Phantom that is currently being restored added to this exhibit. The Phantom we have is actually a Vietnam used aircraft. Outside of the museum we have a B-52 that was also used over Vietnam.
    Leading into this exhibit will be a gallery focusing on the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and a gallery on Operation Desert Shield/Storm. Unfortunately we just do not have all of the needed items and we are reaching out to anyone who may be interested in helping with a donation. I will actually be taking to the radio airwaves Tuesday in Ann Arbor to appeal to local veterans for assistance in telling this story. I would like to ask anyone here who might have extra items to consider this museum as a resting place as it will be greatly appreciated and we really want to tell this story. The museum can be Googled and there is contact information on the website. I know we are all collectors, but many of us are vets as well and this is a great way for our story to be told and for people to understand that we are a nation at war. All donations are tax deductable and you would receive the proper credit and paperwork for your gift. I can tell you that I will not only be placing some of my personal items, but my Iraqi items as well. I am also going to feature the Marine Dress Blues of LCPL Troy D. Nealey whom my AMVET Post is named after in this display. Troy was killed in Iraq in 2006 and my post was formed in honor of his service and sacrifice. I would be happy to field any questions or simply contact the museum. We currently have one set of DCU's and one set of DBDU's with no coalition items, and no Marine, Navy or Coast Guard items. I cannot stress enough that no item would be too small or silly for this display, we are in that much of need. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and thank you for your consideration. Scott.
    Bluehawk
    Bluehawk
    Corporal
    Corporal

Museum needs help Empty Re: Museum needs help

Post by Bluehawk Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Best wishes to your museum.

I included Willow Run and the museum in a Michigan architecture exhibition I curated for the Saginaw Art Museum in 2005.
    ScottG
    ScottG
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by ScottG Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Thank you for the good wishes, we really are trying to get this museum back up and better than before. Scott.
    wasntme
    wasntme
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by wasntme Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:31 am

I will be trying to get some time this weekend to go through my stuff,do you still need the above items ?
    David
    ScottG
    ScottG
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by ScottG Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:20 pm

ScottG wrote: Thank you for the good wishes, we really are trying to get this museum back up and better than before. Scott.

David, thanks for the reply and yes we need just about everything. We have 1 set of chocolate chip camo from Desert Storm for Army, and a couple of sets of three color from OIF for Air Force and that is really about it... So, anything in between no matter the size, condition, or era would be greatly appreciated. You could contact bobcatalano@yankeeairmuseum.org for more details or if you would rather deal through me it all goes to the same place. You could also call 734-483-4030 and speak to Bob, or Pete Stone about any possible donations. Thanks again we really do appreciate any help. Scott.
    wasntme
    wasntme
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by wasntme Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:05 pm

pm sent scott

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm