OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRADING ?????

bond007a1
    bond007a1
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

TRADING ????? Empty TRADING ?????

Post by bond007a1 Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:15 pm

OK...this is one area that I honestly don't understand fully. A couple of years ago I asked Steve G & he discussed it, but I am still fuzzy. People are all the time asking to trade with me, but I do NOT do trades...I only buy stuff. Example...I collect Australian desert uniforms & have 3 3rd pattern sets....1 is an MP, 1 is a Medic & the 3rd one is not badged fully, BUT I fought tooth & nail to get them, so I am not giving one away as I collect them & am trying to get as many as I possibly can....same with East Germany & Russia etc. And generally when I find a uniform online...there is only 1 not 2 or more. And let's say that I have a Italian desert vegetato already...chances are I am not going to be bidding on another, so therefore I won't have one for trading.

And also it would seem to me that trading generally means one person is getting screwed. And what I mean by this is that lets say I have an extra Polish desert uniform that I paid $120 for and I find a guy who has a digital woodland pattern from a member of the Easter Island Artillery Corps Very Happy and he only paid $10 at a yard sale for it...even though I don't know this info...To me it is not a fair trade...because NO matter the fact that I want the Easter Island set, I am ultimately losing $100+ dollars on the trade...so it is simply NOT worth it to me. Sure, it is a fact that the other guy is probably NOT going to tell me he picked it up for $10 at a yard sale....and he could just as easily say this is worth $150...so $150 for your $120 set....

So therefore in order to keep myself from getting the shaft...I simply DO NOT TRADE...that is just my preference...but in reality is that I really don't have stuff that I am willing to trade. Like I had a pair of MINT ERDL trousers that I picked up for $30..and I sold them on ebay for $190+....was I going to trade them...nope...I needed the money.

Now...I know that alot of you could care less about the money...BUT would rather have "different" militaria. I can understand that..I do...BUT out of all of my collection...I honestly do not believe that I have traded for any item. To me...it is easier to shell out the money for the set....and YES...I realize that the same $10 Easter Island set picked up at a yard sale...will probably cost me $120 to buy...BUT I am not losing any of my items in order to aquire it.

So I am anxious to hear how you all go about trading & whatnot

Steven

Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

TRADING ????? Empty Re: TRADING ?????

Post by Mercenary25 Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:24 pm

So Steven, I see that you have some of SF DCUs I like, do you want to trade? Laughing

The kidding aside, you're right. Even though if value of items are equal, you're still screwed the way around because somebody else could've paid it for $10 and I paid mine for $120 but both has equal value. That saying that you should know such value of your item and item you want to trade with. Honestly, I'd have to say that sometimes trade has its own benefit because both ends get what they want. Of course, there's always a risk involves. Personally, I prefer to buy stuff but sometimes I'm so broke, so I had no choice but to offer trade and sometimes I get lucky because I have what they want.
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:38 am

I don't do trades either, because like you said... ultimately somebody gets shafted.

If I see a collector with something they are willing to part with that I am interested in, I offer to buy it from them. If they only wish to trade, I respectfully decline.

In doing this, I get what I want while still offering the previous owner a way to not be shafted for letting go of the item.

Plus, I don't have a wealth of duplicate items in my collection, so in every 9 out of 10 cases, once I get an item in my collection, it stays. Smile

CamoDeafie
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by CamoDeafie Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 pm

to be honest, it depends...for example, Merc and I traded stuff a while back because i wanted post Cold War gear and he wanted VN gear and the modified dcu and LBT chest rig i had at the time.....lol. i guess it depends on the preference; I prefer do cash trades but depending on the other party, I may be up for trades of my stuff if i find some stuff that doesnt fit my preference; IE the ww2 Ike jacket i got from a store, i traded with a Marine for his OIF used Desert MARPAT uniform with boonie and boots and pouch, then sold these things minus the pouch to Merc...lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:28 pm