OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Greetings~! and, I have this weird thing here...

sh4pka
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Greetings~! and, I have this weird thing here... Empty Greetings~! and, I have this weird thing here...

Post by sh4pka Mon May 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Hello, all.

I asked about this one over at IACMC, and got nothing. It is not the most interesting thing in the world, but I'm mystified about the practice of using an alphanumeric designation over a name. SCW-1, I know about, but N9 is a bit weird... also-- this is a Navy garment:

Greetings~! and, I have this weird thing here... 7134902191_e5bc3b976f_c

Thanks to any who can help!

kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Greetings~! and, I have this weird thing here... Empty Re: Greetings~! and, I have this weird thing here...

Post by kriegsmodell Mon May 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Hello sh4pka,

Welcome to the forum and glad to have you here. Could you please take a couple of minutes to post some information about yourself and your collecting interests in our INTRODUCTIONS section? Many thanks in advance .......

Sorry that I can't help with your US Navy shirt but I am betting that someone here can!

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    sh4pka
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Greetings~! and, I have this weird thing here... Empty Re: Greetings~! and, I have this weird thing here...

Post by sh4pka Mon May 21, 2012 2:59 pm

--Can do!

Did not know how much would bleed over from IACMC, and didn't want to bore people with redundancies.

Cheers,

--D.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Tue May 22, 2012 5:10 am

I think SCW-1 MAY mean Strategic Communications Wing 1.

Link: http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=21396

Link: http://www.tacamo.navy.mil/wing/wing_home.html
    sh4pka
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by sh4pka Tue May 22, 2012 9:07 am

--You're correct, Arch, it is indeed from StratComWing-1, which leads one to believe that this fellow worked on a comm. bird-- perhaps as a mechanic, as these are coveralls (made by a body armor company-- the tag states it, but the tag also has his real name on it). The washing instructions specify Naval detergent, but aren't a carbon-copy of the blue coveralls normally issued to Navy guys. They're 100% cotton sateen, like the old 107's, which implies a possible proximity to combustible materials-- but no Amarid, so not volatile.

The weird part is just his absence of a name. I guess I'm just hung-up on that. There's no shadow, above the N-9, or anything. No other shadows at all. Just what you see.

Thanks for digging around for me, though. This isn't a subject that has much public information available on it.

--D.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Tue May 22, 2012 8:21 pm

My pleasure, Dan. I LOVE to do research.
    Mikesierra151
    Mikesierra151
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Mikesierra151 Wed May 23, 2012 12:06 am

What is the brand?
    sh4pka
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by sh4pka Wed May 23, 2012 9:10 am

--Spec's are:--

NSN#8405-01-395-1135
    Contract# SP0100-02-D-4012/0002
    Point Blank Body Armor, Inc.

And... I was mistaken about fiber-content. None is listed (I must have been thinking about something else). It feels like it is all cotton, but there could be some amarid content.

The zipper is plastic with a metal YKK pull. Laundering instructions call for NAVEDTRA 414-01-4581. Has velcro closures for both wrists & ankles, but no waist-adjustment of any kind (unlike both Army & Navy standard coveralls).

Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Wed May 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Dan,
    If you look at the second link I posted, some of the officers are listed as N3, N4, and N6. I believe the N9 MAY have something to do with a job the person who wore the coveralls performed. For instance, the N3 is for an officer who is the Director of Operations. Could N9 be a maintenance job?
    sh4pka
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by sh4pka Wed May 23, 2012 9:12 pm

--No, Arch, I must admit I did not. The first link resolved to areas I'd searched before, and so I therefore *assumed* (you know what I mean), that I'd seen the second.

And there it was, right in front of me.

I apologize.

It was a bit thoughtless of me.

asianairborne
    asianairborne
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by asianairborne Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 am

I was going to say that the garment was from a contractor at first.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm