OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

1st Armored Division Challenge Coin Question

Bagman6
    Bagman6

1st Armored Division Challenge Coin Question Empty 1st Armored Division Challenge Coin Question

Post by Bagman6 Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:06 am

Good  morning all.  Trust everyone is having a good weekend.  Picked up these two identical challenge coins with different "serial" numbers on the back.  The numbers almost look to me like they were punched with a dog tag machine.  I'm familiar with the current challenge coins and know a bit about them as to value etc.  These to me look like early challenge coins and certainly don't have the glitz and glamour of what we have today.  Basically, what does anyone know about these types in regards to era, etc.  Also, if I may can anyone venture a guess as to value?  I'm not sure I'll hold onto these.  I tend to only keep the ones I have a direct connection to.  Thanks everyone.  

1st Armored Division Challenge Coin Question Img_5012
    1st Armored Division Challenge Coin Question Img_5013

Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

1st Armored Division Challenge Coin Question Empty Re: 1st Armored Division Challenge Coin Question

Post by Zeked Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:11 pm

Almost looks like the serial numbers were hand done given, what looks to be, inconsistent spacing between the numbers. Could
    a dog tag machine punch indentations that deep on a harder metal than a dog tag?

I would not be able to offer any details on it; I am just not a challenge coin guy. But I have a buddy who was a tanker his entire
    23 year career (DS/DS era) and I will forward the picture on and see if he has seen or knows anything about it. A long shot for
    sure but worth the ask. Will update once I hear back from him.
    Bagman6
    Bagman6

1st Armored Division Challenge Coin Question Empty Re: 1st Armored Division Challenge Coin Question

Post by Bagman6 Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:10 am

Thanks Clete. Good point on the numbers being hand done. Could very well be.

Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:08 pm

I heard back from my buddy who was a tread head his entire 23 year army career and here is what he said is below.
    I will follow up with him and see if his was numbered as well. If I get lucky we might be able to dig his out and see
    if there are any additional similarities. He retired out as a major a long time ago and most of his stuff, he is a military
    collector as well, is stored away in a storage locker. Anyway this is what he had to say.

"I have the 1AD one. My is silver on both sides with my rank and name engraved on the back.

It has me as 1LT, and I got it in 1988 when our tank platoon shot high in the division on the tank
    platoon battle run (Tank Table XII). The 1AD Commanding General gave one to me and my three
    Tank Commanders.

It was given to someone for any reason and we got it for our achievement."

Bagman6
    Bagman6

Post by Bagman6 Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks Clete and thank your buddy too. Great information.

Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:56 pm

I did hear back from my friend and there is no serial number on the back of his that looks like this. At least you get some sort of time-frame on it Jeff.

These could be kind of collectible in the future; there are so many different challenge coins out now that it is just overwhelming. I have a friend who is a
    retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant who had his own coin made. With the sheer volume of variations available right now these early ones might be a
    niche area for collectors at some point - maybe. At least they do not take up much space!!
    Bagman6
    Bagman6

Post by Bagman6 Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Thank you Sir.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am