5.11A Caps

    Share

    BM
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

    Posts : 507
    Join date : 2013-11-12
    Location : Southern Minnesota

    5.11A Caps

    Post by BM on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:03 am

    I recently picked up some different colors of the 5.11A Caps.
    I can't find any markings as to where they were made other than they came from Iraq.
    One of the cardboard stiffeners had Chinese? Writing on it and some other language.
    Bob





    All the above caps have the Velcro adjustment.The tab on the end is a stiff rubber with A5.11.
    avatar
    Bagman6
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Posts : 638
    Join date : 2015-04-15
    Location : America

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by Bagman6 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:42 pm

    Interesting caps. Very familiar with 5.11 but must be a bit outdate - What does the "A" stand for?


    _________________
    Semper Fi
    Jeff
    avatar
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Posts : 4551
    Join date : 2010-01-09
    Location : USA

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by nkomo on Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:41 pm

    Bob posted an ERU patch some time back that actually incorporates the 5.11 logo.





    Link: http://oefoif.forumotion.net/t7581-latest-iraqi-and-kurdish-items

    Cap Camouflage Pattern I
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

    Posts : 340
    Join date : 2016-04-20
    Location : Norman Oklahoma USA

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by Cap Camouflage Pattern I on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:08 pm

    The cardboard stiffener is Dentsply Sirona, a dental products company. I'm guessing they raided a recycling bin.
    avatar
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Posts : 4551
    Join date : 2010-01-09
    Location : USA

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by nkomo on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:12 pm

    Iraqi SOF using the 5.11 cap.


    avatar
    taucco
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

    Posts : 251
    Join date : 2010-06-05
    Location : italy

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by taucco on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:07 am

    As usual, these are all counterfeit made in china items (fantasy items as 5.11 never stocked that model or colors).

    Wonderful items.

    BM
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

    Posts : 507
    Join date : 2013-11-12
    Location : Southern Minnesota

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by BM on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:44 pm

    Bagman6 wrote:Interesting caps.  Very familiar with 5.11 but must be a bit outdate - What does the "A" stand for?

    Jeff,
    It is my understanding that the original owner Royal Robbins was a mountain climber and the numbering system has
    to do with different levels of climbing. Some of the levels are broken down to numbers followed by A,B.C. etc.
    I don't know why the Iraqi's would have an A behind the 5.11 plus I'm sure they are a knock off of the originals as
    there is no label in the caps.
    Bob
    avatar
    Bagman6
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Posts : 638
    Join date : 2015-04-15
    Location : America

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by Bagman6 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:49 pm

    Thanks Bob. Never realized that was the history behind the name. I even sold gear for a while after i retired. I would always screw with the 5.11 guys at shows by asking them if they had any left handed shooter pants. They had no clue as to what I was talking about. My understanding was that the cloth strap above the right rear pocket and below the belt line was to put your holster behind. If you're going with a concealed carry it would keep it from sliding around on your belt. Even after I explained this to them most of them didn't get it.


    _________________
    Semper Fi
    Jeff

    BM
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

    Posts : 507
    Join date : 2013-11-12
    Location : Southern Minnesota

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by BM on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:01 pm

    Bagman6 wrote:Thanks Bob.  Never realized that was the history behind the name.  I even sold gear for a while after i retired.  I would always screw with the 5.11 guys at shows by asking them if they had any left handed shooter pants.  They had no clue as to what I was talking about.  My understanding was that the cloth strap above the right rear pocket and below the belt line was to put your holster behind.  If you're going with a concealed carry it would keep it from sliding around on your belt.  Even after I explained this to them most of them didn't get it.  

    Jeff,
    Here's a link to more info.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.11_Tactical

    Hope it works.
    Bob
    avatar
    Bagman6
    MODERATOR
    MODERATOR

    Posts : 638
    Join date : 2015-04-15
    Location : America

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by Bagman6 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:09 pm

    Thanks. I had forgotten Royal Robbins had started the company.


    _________________
    Semper Fi
    Jeff
    avatar
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

    Posts : 4551
    Join date : 2010-01-09
    Location : USA

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by nkomo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:07 pm

    Here is another example of the 5.11 cap being used by ISOF in Iraq. If you look closely, you can see the Iraqi soldier in the background has a 5.11 cap attached to the back of his armor.



    BM
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

    Posts : 507
    Join date : 2013-11-12
    Location : Southern Minnesota

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by BM on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:25 pm

    nkomo wrote:  Here is another example of the 5.11 cap being used by ISOF in Iraq.  If you look closely, you can see the Iraqi soldier in the background has a 5.11 cap attached to the back of his armor.



    Good eye Arch!
    Bob

    Sponsored content

    Re: 5.11A Caps

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:46 pm