OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Zeked
RedLegGI
airborne1968
7 posters

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition

airborne1968
    airborne1968
    Staff Sergeant Class II
    Staff Sergeant Class II

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition Empty Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition

Post by airborne1968 Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:48 am

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition.  The price is higher than I imaged but I'm sure it will become a top reference book for the subject.

https://www.amazon.com/Desert-Uniforms-Patches-Insignia-Forces/dp/0764352067/187-5041229-9280102?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition Empty Re: Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition

Post by ehrentitle Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:30 pm

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 28034204110_e9e26886a0_o

Thanks for the plug for our new book "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces"!  Schiffer set the price, which was more than we excepted, however it is 400 pages with nearly 1,000 color photos. And several collectors here provided some great material for the book. We have a FB page where we provide updates on the book and collectors share photos of their desert uniforms and insignia.  It's at:  www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 23367474674_5913174f7c

RedLegGI
    RedLegGI

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition Empty Re: Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition

Post by RedLegGI Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:30 am

Looking forward to it coming out Very Happy
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:38 am

Schiffer books are never cheap but they are always great quality books. I will pick up a copy once released but it always hurts buying a Schiffer book no matter what the subject.
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:51 am

We are as excited as you are about the upcoming release of the Desert book. Al and I spent nearly a year of research and writing the book as well as photographing desert patches and uniforms. It doesn't sound that hard, but putting hundred of DCU and DBU uniforms on mannequins and photographing them was a time consuming and labor intensive effort.
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:57 pm

We finished the final edits of the color proofs for "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" last week. Now it's just a matter of waiting for it to be published in December. You may notice the back cover art is blacked out, we can't disclose it until the book is published.

If you are interested in additional updates on the book or just want to talk about all things desert uniform related, you can join us on our Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 29184248772_a728707875_b
    Ewart
    Ewart
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by Ewart Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Well, first pictures of the pages look ace Kevin.

I personally think the invaluable reference this will be makes it worth every penny. I do like a good reference book mind.

ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:52 pm

An update on the book, last week my coauthor Al and I have each received our author's advance copy of "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" in the mail. We are very excited as the book turned out even better than we expected!  It’s 344 pages over 1,100 photos and packed with information it has something for nearly everyone.  The release is on 28 December, just over a month away. The book is being sold by Amazon.com worldwide (www.amazon.com/Desert-Uniforms-Patches-Insignia-Forces/dp/0764352067) however most major booksellers are taking pre-orders.  

For those who are collecting desert uniforms or are thinking about collecting they we encourage you to check out our Facebook page were all things desert uniform related are discussed:  www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform

Here are a few preview photos from the book...

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 30969295555_c9397b68ba_c

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 25333496909_2b2093b5ca_c

Our forward, kindly written by a legendary SF officer...

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 25333495189_cb7766bed9_c

And a couple of pages from the book...

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 25333495869_c81eeac87a_c

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 30933880276_af74553380_c
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Amazon has a $10 discount on all books $25 or more thru 28 Nov, which can be used when purchasing "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" Just use "HOLIDAYBOOK" at checkout under the "Gift cards & promotional codes" section to receive the $10 discount.

https://www.amazon.com/Desert-Uniforms-Patches-Insignia-Forces/dp/0764352067
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:11 pm

Amazon just listed our book "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" as their #1 new hot release in their Military History category!

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 31500270860_80c79e36aa_c

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 31756558681_e5a13c40c2_c
    Ewart
    Ewart
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by Ewart Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Nice! Congratulations.

I'm awaiting this through my door in the next 48 hours or so. Can not wait!
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:17 pm

Great, It's good to see the book has made it to the UK!
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:59 pm

Al and I are excited that tomorrow, 28 December 2016, is the official release date of our new book "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces"! Amazon here in the US has sold out their stock of our book twice and are of the verge of selling out again. The book is available from all major booksellers both here in the US and World Wide.

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 30969295555_c9397b68ba_c
    Ewart
    Ewart
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by Ewart Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:35 am

Well, I'm still awaiting my copy that was ordered on 20th December. Neutral

Turns out Amazon.co.uk have sold out of the book. However instead of saying so on Amazon, it just showed as 'not dispatched.' They could not tell me when it will be re-stocked, but there are several merchants on Amazon showing it in stock with prices ranging from £43-over £200!!!

I think a few dealers have bulk brought it in order to sell it on again.

Hopefully the dealer that I have now ordered it off will have it through my door soon.
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Ewart wrote:Well, I'm still awaiting my copy that was ordered on 20th December. Neutral

Turns out Amazon.co.uk have sold out of the book. However instead of saying so on Amazon, it just showed as 'not dispatched.' They could not tell me when it will be re-stocked, but there are several merchants on Amazon showing it in stock with prices ranging from £43-over £200!!!

I think a few dealers have bulk brought it in order to sell it on again.

Hopefully the dealer that I have now ordered it off will have it through my door soon.

Gareth - I hope you get it soon, I'd heard that there have been similar problems in Germany.  Al and I truly appreciate your help with the book. You will see something very familiar on the second page of the Coast Guard chapter. ;-)

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 31247378434_5d29a4a070_b
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:49 pm

I ordered mine before Christmas and it should be here by the end of January. That is pretty good news as it seems like it is selling pretty well; looks like a second run from the publisher at this rate. Nice work Kevin!
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Zeked wrote:I ordered mine before Christmas and it should be here by the end of January.  That is pretty good news as it seems like it is selling pretty well; looks like a second run from the publisher at this rate.  Nice work Kevin!  

Zeked - Much appreciated. We have indeed had great demand for the book and great feedback once people can get a copy. I think that booksellers may have underestimated the demand for our book because it sold out on a number of sites. Amazon here in the US, for example, has had to restock it three times. Kevin
    Ewart
    Ewart
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by Ewart Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Looking good Kevin!

Its excellent to hear how well the book has sold. Must be nice to see the fruits of your labour paying off.

Seriously excited to see this turn up!
    BM
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

Post by BM Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Kevin,
    It looks like you have an outstanding reference book out. If you have never tried publishing a book it's
    hard to understand how much work goes into putting a book together. Congratulations!!
    Bob
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:38 pm

BM wrote:Kevin,
     It looks like you have an outstanding reference book out. If you have never tried publishing a book it's
    hard to understand how much work goes into putting a book together. Congratulations!!
    Bob

Bob, Thanks much, it was much more time consuming than I expected. Fortunately I had a great co-author who already had already published several books, otherwise I might still be at it. Putting uniforms on mannequins and photographing them was much harder than I'd thought. We also had to iron most of them because they were so wrinkled. Al and I would spend many days doing it and were always exhausted at the end of the day. Kevin
    MyZone
    MyZone
    Chief Warrant Officer Class I
    Chief Warrant Officer Class I

Post by MyZone Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Looking forward to seeing a copy....

"The Only Place Success Comes Before Work Is In The Dictionary"

MZ♠
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:30 pm

MyZone, Great! Let us know what you think when you get it. Kevin
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Out of the blue my copy arrived today! Kevin you guys did a great job! I have only had time to page through part of it so far but I am impressed! Your hard work really paid off! So when is volume 2 coming out! Thanks Clete
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Zeked wrote:Out of the blue my copy arrived today!  Kevin you guys did a great job!  I have only had time to page through part of it so far but I am impressed!  Your hard work really paid off!  So when is volume 2 coming out!  Thanks Clete

Clete - Thanks for your kind words, I hope that you enjoy it. Kevin
    Ewart
    Ewart
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by Ewart Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:57 am

Well. Mine turned up today.

It's nice to see the hard work had paid off. Nice to see some names off this forum in there. Some surprises like the section on labels.

Anyhow, must dash some more reading to do.

Thanks Kevin and Alex.

So when is the BDU one coming out?
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:38 pm

ehrentitle wrote:
    Zeked wrote:Out of the blue my copy arrived today!  Kevin you guys did a great job!  I have only had time to page through part of it so far but I am impressed!  Your hard work really paid off!  So when is volume 2 coming out!  Thanks Clete

Clete - Thanks for your kind words, I hope that you enjoy it. Kevin

Finally got to start reading the book and thanks for the kind words Kevin - very nice of you! This books like a Playboy magazine if you will; once you get past the pictures you see there is actual writing!
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Gareth and Clete - Thank you for your most appreciated complements on the book as well as your contributions to it. In the book is Gareth's fine example of a rare Coast Guard 6-color desert uniform with the 9th USCG PSU patch, as well as a group of Clete's fantastic Navy DCUs with Arabic name tapes. Kevin
    ehrentitle
    ehrentitle
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by ehrentitle Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Our book "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" was featured on the website WEARETHEMIGHTY.COM this last week. http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-history-of-us-desert-uniforms

Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces 1st Edition 37026458835_e8811d0ae3_b
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:37 pm

Nice to get a free bump! Nice review!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 pm