OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
RedLegGI
Nkomo
6 posters

RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police?

Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? Empty RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police?

Post by Nkomo Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks to one of the my best friends who alerted me to this helmet on Ebay, I was able to purchase this helmet at a very reasonable price.  I will admit, I did quite a bit of research and some serious debate before I bought the helmet.  There were some very odd characteristics with this helmet that kind of threw me off for a bit.

First off, I figured the helmet was made by RBR, but wasn't entirely sure what model.  Thanks to Pump150, he was able to help me identify it as an RBR copy of the PASGT.  One of the reasos I figured it was an RBR was because of the hexagonal screws that held the helmet suspension in place.

Second thing that threw me off was the fact that the helmet had a black X on the rear suspension that was made from black electrical tape.  Upon further inspection when it arrived, the black X was made from a piece of cardboard covered in black electrical tape.  Also note in the pictures the sand that is trapped on the sticky side of the tape.  As Pump150 mentioned, this black X is something you see with the USMC LWH.

Third, the screws that held the helmet suspension in place were a combination of the standard RBR hexagonal screws AND the screws you find on the PASGT helmet. Unfortunately, this helmet is missing one of the screws and I'm in the process of finding a PASGT replacement.  

Fourth, the suspension inside the helmet is very worn and is not something you'd expect to see being used by a US soldier.  To take that one step further, the inside of the helmet has been changed.  Normally, a RBR PASGT has a lining like this:
    RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? Rbr10

Judging from the inside of this helmet, it has had velcro added to the inside for the use of pads.

Fifth, the abscence of a NVG mount or evidence of a NVG mount ever being on this piece was puzzling.

With all the above mentioned things, the people that I showed this helmet to were in agreement that it was likely a foreign used helmet as opposed to a helmet used by a US soldier.  To me, this helmet screamed Afghan or Iraqi usage.

While I was researching the Afghan Border Police, I found a few interesting pictures.  In several pictures, I found the ABP using what appears to be the RBR PASGT.  Furthermore, several of the pictures show them being painted tan instead of the normal black.

I can't say for 100% certainty that this helmet is ABP used, but there are a lot of things that point to it being a definite possibility.  The one thing that for me adds a lot of weight to the argument is the homemade black X in the rear.  Like Pump150 said, the black X is seen in the Marine LWH.  The Marines are heavily involved training the Afghan Border Police.  

Like I said, this is circumstantial evidence and is certainly not a guarantee of ABP usage, but it certainly puts it into the realm of possiblity.

RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? 00436
    RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? 00534

RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? 00146
    RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? 00246
    RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? 00341

Last edited by nkomo on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? Empty Re: RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police?

Post by Nkomo Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Pics of the Afghan Border Police

RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? 13216210
    RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? 13216211
    RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? Afghan11

RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? 6a00e510
    RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? 09122410

Last edited by nkomo on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
    RedLegGI
    RedLegGI

Post by RedLegGI Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Well researched Arch, nice find Smile
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks, Brent. Very Happy
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:39 am

Now you need to find their DBDU! Nice helmet.
    Trailer Park Mgr
    Trailer Park Mgr
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Trailer Park Mgr Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Agreed Merc25, thier DBDU's are pretty sharp!
    jimmyduncan23
    jimmyduncan23
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by jimmyduncan23 Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:55 pm

here is one, well made and looks good. hope you can get your hands on a uniform hard to get like the ancop uniforms

RBR PASGT - Afghan Border Police? Sale_012
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Pretty impressive Arch and nice addition to your collection. Nice job on taking a hunch to the end - and to your benefit!
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:58 am

Thanks for all the comments and compliments, fellers.  I have a used set of ABP camo pants already.  Just need a used jacket.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:29 am