Awesome gift, cammo RBR Mach 2

RICH S
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Awesome gift, cammo RBR Mach 2

Post by RICH S on Wed May 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Friend of mine has just returned to the U.K. after working in North Carolina for a year, before he left he posted me a gift.

RBR Mach 2 dated 2007, skydex pads and strap and ops-core mount. Took alot of cleaning but worth it. Love the helmet art. Laughing

Cheers
    Rich

Philip

Re: Awesome gift, cammo RBR Mach 2

Post by Philip on Wed May 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Sell it to airsofters and you'll be rich!!! Laughing
    Nice helmet BTW.

bhmilitarycollector84
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by bhmilitarycollector84 on Wed May 12, 2010 12:33 pm

sweat helmet , i really like ths scorpion on top

Very Happy

RICH S
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by RICH S on Wed May 12, 2010 2:12 pm

Philip wrote:Sell it to airsofters and you'll be rich!!! Laughing
    Nice helmet BTW.

LOL Laughing

RICH S
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by RICH S on Wed May 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Anyone know if RBR helmets are issued to U.S. troops ??
    Im not sure but im guessing either this belonged to a Ranger or a PMC with too much time on his hands.

Cheers
    Rich

P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E on Wed May 12, 2010 3:31 pm

RICH S wrote: Im not sure but im guessing either this belonged to a Ranger or a PMC with too much time on his hands.

...or simply an airsofter...In this condition, it was never used...so certainly an airsofter.

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Wed May 12, 2010 3:45 pm

P-E wrote:
    RICH S wrote: Im not sure but im guessing either this belonged to a Ranger or a PMC with too much time on his hands.

...or simply an airsofter...In this condition, it was never used...so certainly an airsofter.

I think he said he needed to clean it up ALOT to get it in that condition...so im guessing it wasnt used by an Airsofter. But hey...who knows

I really like the stencil job and the DIY camo, that is one cool looking helmet

RICH S
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by RICH S on Wed May 12, 2010 3:51 pm

P-E wrote:

You maybe right, just think LVL IIIA ballistic helmet is a bit extreme for airsoft, not to mention the cost. Must be $400+ worth of helmet and mount there new !

Cheers
    Rich

RICH S
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by RICH S on Wed May 12, 2010 3:59 pm

LOL, Airsoft, Real Military use or custom paint job. I should of held a vote. Laughing

Cheers
    Rich

Last edited by RICH S on Wed May 12, 2010 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Philip

Post by Philip on Wed May 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Nothing's too extreme for airsoft. Laughing
    Some (not all) are totally nuts!

RICH S
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by RICH S on Wed May 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Philip wrote:Nothing's too extreme for airsoft. Laughing
    Some (not all) are totally nuts!

LMAO cheers
    Now thats gonna opena can of worms.

Cheers
    Rich

P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E on Wed May 12, 2010 4:10 pm

RICH S wrote: You maybe right, just think LVL IIIA ballistic helmet is a bit extreme for airsoft, not to mention the cost. Must be $400+ worth of helmet and mount there new !

You've right, it's realy expensive. But it's not a problem for a serious airsofter. And moreover, that sort of painted helmet are realy common in airsofter community ! And the original one...not only copy !

That the reason why I tell this is an airsofter. First this helmet was never used. It's easy to see, because of condition of paint. There's no shot in the paint, no dust or earth in the velcro (realy common on used helmet, inside - by example if you remove the pads and look at velcro inside helmet - or outside). The paint on NVG mount is too net, absolutely never used.

So well, maybe I've wrong, but for me this is an original level IIIA helmet (as you told), but modified and used by airsofter. This is too common on airsofter community !

But this change nothing for your helmet : it's realy beautiful !Very Happy I just tell this helmet was never used, and certainly not by ranger or SF, or something like this (PMC,...).

Cheers,

P-E

ps ; to explain you it's not a problem for a serious aisofter to use original and cost items, I know an airsofter in france who have an original AN/PVS-7 (binocular). It's just an example...but representative of money they can put for airsoft ! An AN/PVS-7 cost between $2000 to $5000...so you can assume that an helmet of "only" $400 isn't a problem...

Last edited by P-E on Wed May 12, 2010 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Wed May 12, 2010 4:14 pm

Well if you are too bummed about it being a possible airsofter helmet...I could take it off of your hands for free! Very Happy

P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E on Wed May 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Misanthropic_Gods wrote:Well if you are too bummed about it being a possible airsofter helmet...I could take it off of your hands for free! Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy you make me laugh. No I assume the guys is happy of this helmet. Well, I think (and I'm pretty 100% sure) it was made and used by an airsofter, but this helmet is still an original one (just modified) and still looks beautiful !!! Razz

P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E on Wed May 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Hey, just an example of airsofter in possession of this helmet (the original one). He only did minor change (add velcro and tan paint) on his helmet, but you can see they do not hesitate to buy... (look at their material) ;

these picture come from http://www.france-airsoft.fr/forum/index.php?showtopic=62135&st=1000 (France Airsoft forum)

RICH S
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by RICH S on Wed May 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Misanthropic_Gods wrote:Well if you are too bummed about it being a possible airsofter helmet...I could take it off of your hands for free! Very Happy

Love the helmet to be honest and you cant complain after all it was a gift, so im still happy with it.
    Think the truth is that military of airsoft use i dont think anyone can guarantee either way what it was. Im sure airsoft helmets get some knocks here and there, bb's must travel at some speed and thats got to create some paint damage, on the other hand it could be a well looked after military helmet that has just seen very little use and may of been repainted by its former owner ??
    Like i said it did take alot of cleaning and there are a few scratches that dont show up too well in the pics.

Cheers
    Rich

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Wed May 12, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm going to put my two cents worth in on this one.....if your friend got this in North Carolina, I'd put my vote in for military who had too much time on their hands. I don't think people understand the shear amount of items like this in and around the Ft. Bragg area. I certainly didn't until I went down there and did some surplus hunting myself. These type helmets, while not extremely common, are still avaliable for decent prices (depending on dealer of course). I have a similar painted ACH in my collection and know it isn't airsoft either.

Guys....in one of other threads on this forum, we have debated and talked about the airsoft equation when it comes to the future of this hobby. Some of the clothing/gear worn by the airsoft community is LAUGHABLE. While others are down right scary with their accurate portrayls. This is going to be an absolute nightmare for collectors in the near future. It is bad right now, but just wait until some of these made-up airsoft items get some age and usage. I doubt you'll ever be able to tell a factual piece from a fictional one. That is why I'm buying what I can now from reputable sources around military bases and surplus shops that I can trust. I am learning all I can now from forums like this and from soldiers I meet.

In the end, this all boils down to no one can ever say for a 100% surety if this piece is airsoft or military. I'd lean towards military due to where it came from....but that is just an opinion. I'm sure there are airsofters in NC as well. Very Happy

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Wed May 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Forgot to add...this piece is probably a Ranger item. Very Happy

Philip

Post by Philip on Wed May 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Did anyone notice the guy's SSI? They spend thousand of dollars on their outfit but don't know how to attach the patches properly... No

Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 on Wed May 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Guys, take it easy on Rich! He got it for free so he couldn't go wrong on this one. Rich, if possible, you ask your friend where is the source of this helmet. If he found it from the surplus store then you have a higher chance of it being an original. You said you had to clean it... So it was very dirty? Probably could be a legit piece after all. If it is indeed an airsoft piece like everybody else said, you could easily sold it for good money to the airsofters.

P-E, this wannable made me boil from the inside and shill in the bones.... He thought it's ok to play army with SF patch while real SF guys who earned this patch dying in Afghanistan. At least he should make his impression or as airsofters would call it "kit" accurate enough to respect actual soldiers. I want to show this photo to real SF guy then he pay a visit to this kid to give him a wake-up call!

Ben

Post by Ben on Wed May 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Cool helmet, Rich!

Last edited by Ben on Wed May 12, 2010 9:44 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Andrew was right; by pointing fingers we only stoop to their level. Apologies...)

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Thu May 13, 2010 2:09 am

RICH S wrote:

Love the helmet to be honest and you cant complain after all it was a gift, so im still happy with it.

Oh, for sure. I would be happy with it too if I were you. Its a $400^ helmet, nothing to scoff at especially for free.

All the joking aside there really isnt a way (from what I can see) to distinguish it from a "real" helmet or a helmet used for airsofting. Regardless, its going to look COOL COOL COOL on a shelf!

RICH S
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by RICH S on Thu May 13, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.
    The first and latest piece of my collection i post a picture of and i kind of wish i hadnt. Surprised

Mercenary25 - yes it was dirty, inside and out, i spent hours washing it and using auto upholstery foam cleaner and a toothbrush trying to get the dirt out of the paint texture, Velcro was hanging off on one side, other side was missing and had to be replaced, there was also a square of glue on the top of the helmet, in the middle of the scorpion where im guessing an infared square was stuck on, seemed a shame to stick another in its place and cover up the stencil. Now its clean and like its been said on here it looks new, looking at it closely you can see there have been a few chips in the paint but only minor ones which have obviously been painted over by its former owner.

nkomo - it was bought from a surplus store near a military base, but exactly where in North Carolina i dont know, no idea how many military bases there are in NC ?? I will ask the question when he returns from his new assignment in India.

Dont want to pass judgement on Airsofters to be honest, yes some of them obviously do take it too far, but lets not forget that it is supposed to be a simulation and a hobby like ours, and i dare say quite a few of them probably collect militaria.

Now does anyone have any idea if RBR helmets were military issue or not ?

Cheers
    Rich

Last edited by RICH S on Thu May 13, 2010 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E on Thu May 13, 2010 12:27 pm

RICH S wrote:Now does anyone have any idea if RBR helmets were military issue or not ?

For this question, I respond yes AND no !

Yes because unconventionnal forces (= special forces, psyops, PMC, uniformed civilian, rangers,...) have the possibility to wears it (they have big choice for their material), so it can be issued by them (and some of them wear it). But some of them also wear normal issued helmet (ACH).

No because conventionnal forces (= regular troops, including infantry,artillery,...) never wear it (they had PASGT, that was now replaced by ACH for US Army and LWH for USMC).

ACH/MICH is currently also wear by some MARSOC troops, in tan color.

Hope this helps

Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 on Thu May 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Rich,

I think your helmet is original.

1: Why would an airsofter spent his time painting scorpion on his helmet then covered it with velcro? It's not practical. Would makes more sense if it's actually worn in combat. Maybe one mission everybody is required to have an IR on top of helmet so this soldier had no choice but cover his nice paint job with velcro to adopt IR. I think it's more logical.
    2: Lots of dirt and shown sign of wears.... That's always a good sign.
    3: Found in the surplus store (Why would an airsofter drop off helmet in surplus store while he knew he could make a lot of money off it selling on ebay. Many soldiers usually sell their old stuff for cheap to the surplus stores.
    4: NC is home for Special Forces (Fort Bragg)

I wish you show us photos of it before cleaning, it would be cool.

Cheers!

RICH S
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by RICH S on Thu May 13, 2010 1:07 pm

P-E wrote:
    RICH S wrote:Now does anyone have any idea if RBR helmets were military issue or not ?

For this question, I respond yes AND no !

Yes because unconventionnal forces (= special forces, psyops, PMC, uniformed civilian, rangers,...) have the possibility to wears it (they have big choice for their material), so it can be issued by them (and some of them wear it). But some of them also wear normal issued helmet (ACH).

No because conventionnal forces (= regular troops, including infantry,artillery,...) never wear it (they had PASGT, that was now replaced by ACH for US Army and LWH for USMC).

ACH/MICH is currently also wear by some MARSOC troops, in tan color.

Hope this helps

Mercenary25 wrote:Rich,

I think your helmet is original.

1: Why would an airsofter spent his time painting scorpion on his helmet then covered it with velcro? It's not practical. Would makes more sense if it's actually worn in combat. Maybe one mission everybody is required to have an IR on top of helmet so this soldier had no choice but cover his nice paint job with velcro to adopt IR. I think it's more logical.
    3: Found in the surplus store (Why would an airsofter drop off helmet in surplus store while he knew he could make a lot of money off it selling on ebay. Many soldiers usually sell their old stuff for cheap to the surplus stores.

I wish you show us photos of it before cleaning, it would be cool.

Cheers!
    P-E - Thanks for the info.

Mercenary25 - Wish i had taken some photos before too, but you know what its like when you get something new for your collection, i just wanted to clean it so i could take a good look and see what it really looked like.

Just out of interest, does anyone think i should put a velcro square back on top of the helmet ? presuming it was velcro ? was just a dirty sticky square patch of glue when i got it, or do you think it may of been removed again after use ?

Cheers
    Rich

Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 on Thu May 13, 2010 1:55 pm

I would leave it as it is.

P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E on Thu May 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Mercenary25 wrote: I think your helmet is original.

Well, there's no doubt for original ! I'm sure at 100% this helmet is the original one, level IIIA. For that, I agree with you.

But I no agree with you for others reasons :

An airsofter try to do 'as real soldier'. If he saw a soldier wearing his helmet like this, with IR on paint, be sure he'll do the same. Generaly airsofter takes a picture of a soldier they found on internet and copy it for their own uniform. This method is called "inspi" (for inspiration). And IR tab isn't a problem to find. If an airsofter'll do as his 'inspi', be sure he'll place the IR at the same place, on the scorpion. And put an IR tab on paint look like more real than other place !

And more, add one small velcro of 1 inch on the scorpion isn't a problem ; scorpion is still visible !

--> say one airsofter can't do that is completely wrong. They have model and follow their model(= 'inspi').

Yes you've right, dirst and show signs of wears are always a good sign. But on pictures bellow, there's absolutely nothing that permit us to tell this helmet was use. Personaly I see no dirst in the painting, for me this helmet is completely new !

When a soldier come back with an helmet like this, without cover, there's ALWAYS some dirst and sign of wears. An helmet with a cover can be in beter condition because they have a cover to protect painting ! But it's not the case of that sort of helmet !!! And please do not tell me the soldier worn it with cover, otherwise I can't understand he spent sometime to paint it...Here there's nothing on paint and scorpion look "like new". American helmets have paints pellets, that are easy damaged.    

Hum...These helmets were private purchase. Soldier paid it himself and well know the price for this sort of helmet. And if he don't know the price, he isn't stupid ! You can be sure he hasn't sell it in a surplus store for $50 or $20...and seller in surplus store aren't stupid too. An helmet in this condition have some value, and they well know it.

Guys, it's not like used uniform or patches or boots. These can be sold for few dollars and we can find them in big quantity !!! But not helmet or ballistic material (body armor, flak vest,...) that are really valuable. You know it as me ! In surplus store, they permit soldier to make them money in selling their material. The seller receive money for that. You can be sure he'll sell this helmet for the right value otherwise he's completely stupid because he receive money in function of sale price of item ! So if the seller in surplus store sold this helmet for a low price, he'll receive less money !  

So for me your friend paid it really expensive and give it you as a gift. And I assume your friend is familiar with military items, otherwise I can't understand he enters in a surplus store and buy THIS helmet...I don't know what sort of contact you've with your friend, but he's generous ! Good friend   cheers

yes...but airsofter are eveywhere...and there's more airsofters than SF guys...!

And do this sort of painting is easy to do. Don't forget it wasn't do with hands, but well with a paint in spray. you just have to cut a scorpion in a sheet of paper or carton...not difficult to do (and you can easy find scorpion scheme on internet, you only have to print it on a sheet, cut and finnally use paint spray...not complicated) ! Here's an example of scoprion I find in two seconds on internet ;

You just have to print it, cut black parts and your scorpion is ready to paint with a spray on your helmet !

It looks perfect, but condition shows this helmet was never used. I'm pretty sure at 100% ! I already receive some used helmet (that came back from Iraq), and you can be sure they were in another condition ! Don't forget a soldier spent some time in operation, not one or two days ! Generally they are in field area for months (6 or 12 months for the majority of soldiers, sometimes also 15)...If a soldier wears this helmet, you can be sure it was in ground troop, in combat situation (and not a "administrative" soldier !!!) !  

Here's my opinion. for me, this helmet wasn't used by troops, but well by airsofter.

Cheers,

P-E

ps : sorry for this long post, but now you see exactly what I think about it !

Last edited by P-E on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total

RICH S
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by RICH S on Thu May 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Ok guys, thanks for all the opinions but i think we better end it here, we can argue the pros and cons of if it is military or not till were all blue in the face. The photos were only posted so you could all take a look, i didnt want to start any arguments, in future i will leave any controversial items in my collection under lock and key.

Cheers
    Rich

Philip

Post by Philip on Thu May 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Yes, good point to stop.

Rich: If airsoft you still have a nice, expensive and hard to come by helmet there. Who knows... we can't say for sure.

in future i will leave any controversial items in my collection under lock and key.
    No, please not! Smile

Current date/time is Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:09 pm