No Infantry

landser

No Infantry

Post by landser on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Early 2003 in Saddam's palace in Baghdad (now the Green Zone).
    I had to go into the palace to get maps for my infantry company, things have changed already since the first time I had been here. After eating MREs everyday I was quick to notice the smell of hot chow right away. I follow my nose and discover that there is now a dining facility up and running. Standing at the entrance are MPs that are looking at unit shoulder patches and asking questions of anyone in an unclean uniform. On a sign situated right next them states "for attached units only". The next line down was underlined with "NO INFANTRY".

Here's another one. After enduring months of only having two dirty and torn DCUs to wear, the rumor of a new set finally appeared to be true. Our SM promised us that a new set for each person was to be delivered the following week. You guessed it, the week passed and no uniforms. Finally, they arrive the following month from a supply unit in several large boxes. We open them up and all that's in there is about 15-20 sets of extra small DCUs. Looks like a handful of small guys in the company are in for a real treat. We soon find out that the DCUs were mistakenly sent to BIAP on a SNAFU, where they sat until our unit was located. In the meantime, somebody there cherry-picked out what they thought they needed more than us.

I'm not angry about these incidents and am more amused in telling them these days.
    Darktrooper

Re: No Infantry

Post by Darktrooper on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:44 pm

landser wrote:Early 2003 in Saddam's palace in Baghdad (now the Green Zone).
    I had to go into the palace to get maps for my infantry company, things have changed already since the first time I had been here. After eating MREs everyday I was quick to notice the smell of hot chow right away. I follow my nose and discover that there is now a dining facility up and running. Standing at the entrance are MPs that are looking at unit shoulder patches and asking questions of anyone in an unclean uniform. On a sign situated right next them states "for attached units only". The next line down was underlined with "NO INFANTRY".

Here's another one. After enduring months of only having two dirty and torn DCUs to wear, the rumor of a new set finally appeared to be true. Our SM promised us that a new set for each person was to be delivered the following week. You guessed it, the week passed and no uniforms. Finally, they arrive the following month from a supply unit in several large boxes. We open them up and all that's in there is about 15-20 sets of extra small DCUs. Looks like a handful of small guys in the company are in for a real treat. We soon find out that the DCUs were mistakenly sent to BIAP on a SNAFU, where they sat until our unit was located. In the meantime, somebody there cherry-picked out what they thought they needed more than us.

I'm not angry about these incidents and am more amused in telling them these days.

Welcome the forum, please post an introduction in the introduction section.

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 pm