AOR1/Digi2

Misanthropic_Gods

AOR1/Digi2

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:26 am

I recently bought a set of very hard to find set of Naval Special Warfare/DEVGRU (Seal Team VI) exclusive desert camouflage, this set was made on Contract for the Navy by Crye Precision (The same people that brought you Multicam). London Bridge Trading, Blackhawk, Eagle Industries, Arc'teryx, Crye Precision and a few others are the main manufacturers for AOR1 on contract with NSW.

There are 2 different types of AOR (Area of Responsibility) camouflage, AOR1, which is Desert camouflage, and AOR2, which is Woodland. Now just to make things more confusing, AOR1 is also known as Digi2 or NWU II, and AOR2 is known as Digi1 or NWU III.

AOR1 Sample

Another sample of AOR1

A Sample of Desert MARPAT, the difference is more noticeable in real life.

A Side-by-Side comparison of MARPAT and AOR1

AOR1, AOR2, Desert and woodland MARPAT side by side

Side by side of both AOR patterns courtesy of OP tactical

A photo I found from another forum, I think it was taken by a guy named BOE

AOR2 seems to be exclusive to NSW and will stay that way, while AOR2 will be issued as Organizational Gear Navy wide in the future.

AOR2 has been about for a year or so, but is just now starting to make its rounds to a large amount of people, but NSW is a force unto itself, so gear is not standardized.

This is the shirt I received, it is a special version of version of the Crye combat shirt.

It has slanted pockets covered with velcro on the sleeves

it has a distinctive closure system, both buttons and velcro. I havent seen anything like that before, its pretty nifty.

The chest pockets are slanted outboard to facilitate easy access even when worn under Body Armor.

This shirt also has a Mandarin collar.

These are the pants, again, these are a variation of the Crye Field pants with some modifications.

It has an external Velcro closed knee pad pouch for the Crye knee pads

it has external pockets on the outside of the shins.

The Crye cargo pockets are pretty standard for them

It has 2 small pockets on either leg under the slash pockets but above the cargo pockets, they dont have a cover, they are perfect for carrying a folding knife.

This is the layout of the pockets

It has very interesting belt loops, they have integrated loops for tying in gear.

It has 2 rear velcro closed pockets.

This is the boonie, its pretty standard fare except the camo daisy chains around the brim. It has NO markings inside except the size tag.

Here are some pictures of it in use

courtesy of OneSixthWarriors.com

courtesy of OneSixthWarriors.com

Image courtesy of Strike Hold

Here is an Article from the NSW Magazine, Ethos.

Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Re: AOR1/Digi2

Post by Mercenary25 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:50 pm

Great thread! I'm sure Arch could contribute to this thread too because he has several sets.

Misanthropic_Gods wrote:

I think he was killed in action. I don't remember what his name was. RIP.

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:

I do believe you are correct, I cant remember exactly where I found his picture, but if I find a name I will post it up.

Thanks for the compliment, it took me a few days to do the proper research and find all the images. This stuff has been in the testing phase for like the past 2 years but its still very hard to even find images of it.

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:30 pm

As soon as I figure out how to pin this topic it WILL be pinned. Misanthropic has really taken a lot of time to research this topic and it has been very well researched. Good job!

I do have one complete set of the AOR-1 and another AOR-1 jacket with places for name tape, BOS tape, and SEAL Trident. I feel very lucky to have these in my collection. Not an easy item to find as of right now.

Misanthropic_Gods

UPDATE, the pouches HAVE arrived

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Sun May 09, 2010 5:31 am

Today in the mail I received this motley bunch, it seems they are all made by Eagle Industries

2 Double mag pouches

There used to be elastic to help keep the mags in, but it seems it was removed

It fits 4 mags perfectly, even non-issue ones

The Tags

2 Double Pistol Magazine Pouch

It fits 1911 mags just fine even though it was made for the M-9

The tags

the utility pouch

Flipped inside out so you can see the elastic on the inside

the tags

The odd shoulder pouch...im not sure what its specific purpose is, or what its designation is, but its interesting to say the least. it also has no tags, so I dont thinks its made by EI. Maybe a soft armor pocket, similar to the DAPS system..Ihell if I know...it might just me a little utility pocket

inside

The Back, which is rubberized

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Sun May 09, 2010 7:11 am

VERY nice pouches! I really appreciate the time and effort you took in putting this thread together.

Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 on Sun May 09, 2010 10:31 am

nkomo wrote: VERY nice pouches! I really appreciate the time and effort you took in putting this thread together.

Indeed!

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Sun May 09, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks guys, I havent seen a definitive resource for any of the AOR items yet, I was hoping to compile as much information in one place as I could and if someone was ever looking for it, the best thing they could find is my post Very Happy

JKin
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by JKin on Sun May 09, 2010 4:28 pm

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Misanthropic_gods/DSCF1567.jpg

Those are Deltiod MSAP armor plate pockets. They carry MSAP level 4 hard armor plates to cover your arm above the elbow. I have similar ones in khaki from the SFLCS MSAP kit, and they are made by Armor Holdings. They attach to MSAP style shoulder pads with that velcro cover nylon strap, which then attach to the vest.

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Mon May 10, 2010 1:44 am

JKin wrote:http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Misanthropic_gods/DSCF1567.jpg

Those are Deltiod MSAP armor plate pockets. They carry MSAP level 4 hard armor plates to cover your arm above the elbow. I have similar ones in khaki from the SFLCS MSAP kit, and they are made by Armor Holdings. They attach to MSAP style shoulder pads with that velcro cover nylon strap, which then attach to the vest.

Sweet, I figured they were something like that. Thanks for Answering! Would you mind posting up a pic or two of yours, I would be interested in seeing them.

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Mon May 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Copy of the orders talking about how AOR1/Digi2/NWU II (Desert) will stay NSW ONLY, while AOR2/Digi1/NWU III will begin wear testing Navy wide and replace the Woodland CUU.

the current patterns (like mine) without the ACE are pre-trial patterns, the ones with the ACE will be the true trial patterns, but will still be NSW only for the AOR1.

confusing huh?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNCLASSIFIED//

ROUTINE

R 291203Z DEC 09

BT
    UNCLAS
    FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
    TO NAVADMIN
    NAVADMIN 374/09

MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/DEC//

SUBJ/NAVY WORKING UNIFORM TYPE II AND III//

REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/262243Z JUN 09//

REF/B/DOC/NAVPERS 15665I/01JAN2003//

NARR/REF A IS NAVADMIN 188/09. REF B IS U.S. NAVY UNIFORM REGULATIONS.//

RMKS/1. THIS NAVADMIN ANNOUNCES CHIEF OF NAVAL OPERATIONS APPROVAL OF THE NAVY WORKING UNIFORM (NWU) TYPE II AND III. THE NWU COLORING SCHEMES CONSIST OF TWO UNIQUE FOUR-SHADED DIGITAL CAMOUFLAGE PROFILES (DESERT AND WOODLAND) DEVELOPED BY NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE (NSW) UNDER THE AUTHORITY AND GUIDANCE OF UNITED STATES SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND FOR NSW AND MARITIME SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES. THE TACTICAL ADVANTAGE PROVIDED BY NWU TYPE II (DESERT) AND TYPE III (WOODLAND) DIGITAL PATTERNS WILL INCREASE PROBABILITY OF MISSION SUCCESS AND SURVIVABILITY IN COMBAT AND IRREGULAR WARFARE OPERATIONS DUE TO THE REDUCED VISUAL SIGNATURE IN THESE OPERATIONAL ENVIRONMENTS.

2. THE NWU TYPE II AND III ARE OF UNISEX DESIGN AND INCLUDES THE NAVY’S LOGO ANCHOR CONSTITUTION EAGLE (ACE) DESIGN IN THE PRINT OF THE FABRIC. THE NWU TYPE II AND III WILL UNDERGO CONFORMANCE TESTING DURING 2010 TO VALIDATE DESIGN, FIT, AND WEAR. A PHASED FLEET DISTRIBUTION WILL COMMENCE ONCE CONFORMANCE TESTING IS COMPLETE WITH PRIORITY DISTRIBUTION TO DEPLOYING COMBAT AND DIRECT COMBAT SUPPORT COMMANDS AND UNITS.

3. OCCASION FOR WEAR:
    A. THE NWU TYPE II WILL BE WORN ONLY BY NAVY SPECIAL WARFARE (NSW) PERSONNEL, SAILORS ASSIGNED TO NSW UNITS, OR SAILORS ASSIGNED TO UNITS DIRECTLY SUPPORTING NSW MISSIONS WITHIN THE THEATER OF OPERATIONS. IN THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES, THE NWU TYPE II WILL ONLY BE WORN BY THE AFOREMENTIONED AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ON TRAINING RANGES OR DURING ACTUAL OPERATIONS REQUIRING A DESERT CAMOUFLAGE UNIFORM. ALL OTHER COMMANDS AND INDIVIDUALS REQUIRING THE WEAR OF DESERT CAMOUFLAGE UNIFORMS WILL CONTINUE TO WEAR THE CURRENT TRI-COLOR DESERT CAMOUFLAGE UTILITY UNIFORM.
    B. THE NWU TYPE III WILL REPLACE THE EXISTING TRI-COLORED WOODLAND CAMOUFLAGE UTILITY UNIFORM AND WILL BE THE STANDARD CAMOUFLAGE UNIFORM WORN IN CONUS AND CAN BE WORN DEPLOYED AS PRESCRIBED BY COMBATANT COMMANDERS. OCCASION FOR WEAR OF THE NWU TYPE III WILL BE THE SAME AS THE CURRENT WOODLAND CAMOUFLAGE UTILITY UNIFORM PER REF A, COMMANDS AND SAILORS CURRENTLY AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE WOODLAND CAMOUFLAGE UTILITY UNIFORM (CUU) WILL CONTINUE TO WEAR THE CUU AS THEIR PRIMARY DAILY UNIFORM UNTIL THEIR TRANSITION TO THE NEW NWU TYPE III.
    C. CNIC NAVY SECURITY FORCE SAILORS, TO INCLUDE AUXILIARY SECURITY FORCES AND RESERVE SECURITY FORCES, WILL WEAR NWU TYPE I (BLUE/GREY/BLACK) UNLESS ASSIGNED TO NSW COMMANDS AS OUTLINED IN PARAGRAPH 3A.

4. BASIC NWU TYPE II AND III COMPONENTS INCLUDE BROWN COTTON UNDERSHIRT, BLACK BOOT SOCKS, BLOUSING STRAPS, NAVY CERTIFIED DESERT TAN OR BROWN BRUSHLESS BOOTS, 1 1/4 INCH BLACK COTTON, NYLON OR ELASTIC WOVEN WEB BELT WITH BLACK TIP AND BLACK OPEN FACE BUCKLE OR 1 3/4 INCH WIDE BLACK OR TAN ONE PIECE ADJUSTABLE NYLON WEBBING RIGGERS BELT WITH FORGED STEEL BUCKLE,D-RING AND HOOK AND LOOP FASTENER, EIGHT POINT UTILITY CAP, UNISEX BLOUSE AND TROUSERS, EMBROIDERED COLLAR DEVICES (E4 AND ABOVE), SERVICE AND NAME TAPE.

5. PRESCRIBED NWU TYPE II AND III COMPONENTS INCLUDE MATCHING PATTERN WATERPROOF AND BREATHABLE FABRIC PARKA WITH REMOVABLE TAN FLEECE LINER AND SLIP ON RANK INSIGNIA FOR EXTREME COLD WEATHER SYSTEM (ECWS) PARKAS AND BLACK KNIT WATCH CAP.

6. OPTIONAL COMPONENTS INCLUDE SMOOTH BLACK LEATHER BOOTS, BROWN BOOT SOCKS, EARMUFFS (WITH OUTER-GARMENTS ONLY), EARRINGS (GOLD BALL FOR FEMALE E7 AND ABOVE AND SILVER BALL FOR FEMALE E6 AND BELOW), AND BLACK LEATHER GLOVES.

7. MANNER OF WEAR: THE MANNER OF WEAR OF THE NWU TYPE II AND III WILL BE CONSISTENT WITH THE CURRENT CAMOUFLAGE UTILITY UNIFORMS (DESERT AND WOODLAND) AS OUTLINED IN REF B. THE NWU TYPE II AND III WILL BE PROCURED AND ISSUED AS ORGANIZATIONAL CLOTHING AND WILL REMAIN THE PROPERTY OF THE ISSUING COMMAND.

8. PROGRAM MANAGEMENT AND TECHNICAL AUTHORITY FOR THE NWU TYPE II AND III IS ASSIGNED TO NAVAL FACILITIES ENGINEERING COMMAND (NAVFAC). PROGRAM MANAGER AND TECHNICAL AUTHORITY FOR THE DIGITAL CAMOUFLAGE PATTERNS IS ASSIGNED TO PROGRAM MANAGER SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES SURVIVAL, SUPPORT AND EQUIPMENT SYSTEMS (PM-SOF SSES), US ARMY SOLDIER SYSTEMS CENTER, NATICK AS DIRECTED BY NSW. DISTRIBUTION AUTHORITY OF THE NWU TYPE II IS ASSIGNED TO COMMANDER, NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE COMMAND. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING AVAILABILITY AND DISTRIBUTION OF THE NWU TYPE II AND III WILL BE ANNOUNCED VIA FUTURE NAVADMIN.

9. FILE THIS NAVADMIN UNTIL CHANGES ARE INCORPORATED INTO THE QUARTERLY BUPERS DIRECTIVE CD-ROM CHANGE CONTAINING REF A. IN THE INTERIM, FOR MORE INFORMATION ON UNIFORMS AND UNIFORM POLICY, VISIT THE NAVY UNIFORM MATTERS WEBSITE AT HTTP://WWW.NPC.NAVY.MIL/COMMANDSUPPORT/USNAVYUNIFORMS/.

10. POINTS OF CONTACTS:
    Edited for PERSEC

11. RELEASED BY VADM MARK FERGUSON, N1.//

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feindflug
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Feindflug on Tue May 11, 2010 4:37 am

Now you really made me jealous.
    Since I'm currently trying to get hands on a Eagle Maritime CIRAS for a display I'm working on, I came across quite a few offeres of AOR1 cams on Evilbay. Thank god I'm not into NSW stuff considering the prices I saw.

If anyone wants to help me with the CIRAS it'll be highly appreciated. Smile

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Tue May 11, 2010 5:32 am

Feindflug wrote: Thank god I'm not into NSW stuff considering the prices I saw.

Oh man, the prices on Ebay are just INSANE for this stuff, and any CIRAS is expensive, no matter the manufacturer. I dont really collect NSW stuff either, but I think I caught a bug with this one...I have this itch to create a display...I have a feeling this itch is going to cost me Razz

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Thu May 13, 2010 6:12 am

Incoming pic dump of a BUNCH of AOR1 in service, all of these images were uploaded to the SEALS picture thread on Militaryphotos.net HERE

AND NOW FOR MY PERSONAL FAVORITE PICS OF AOR1 IN USE IN IRAQ...there was also a music video done by the same guys but it was taken down as of 12 May 2010, but I will include a link anyway in case it is reuploaded, it was called "Knights in SEAL Service" the video was HERE

navjax
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by navjax on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Would it be hard to get a NWU III?

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:40 pm

navjax wrote:Would it be hard to get a NWU III?

For the moment yes, especially now. AOR2/Digi1 (NWU III) is much rarer than the desert version. In the future AOR2 will be organizational gear Navy Wide, while AOR1 will be restricted to NWU.

navjax
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by navjax on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Misanthropic_Gods wrote:

For the moment yes, especially now. AOR2/Digi1 (NWU III) is much rarer than the desert version. In the future AOR2 will be organizational gear Navy Wide, while AOR1 will be restricted to NWU.
    Eh this sucks. Any reason why the Navy is making these organizational?

Misanthropic_Gods

Post by Misanthropic_Gods on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:51 pm

navjax wrote:
    Misanthropic_Gods wrote:

Well, the AOR2 is going to be replacing the Woodland Camouflage Utility Uniform (Aka Woodland BDU's) but the Desert CUU (Desert BDU's) I guess is going to be the same.

People who are deployed over to the gulf or any desert region are going to wear the old 3-Color Desert pattern as they are now, while only NSW will be able to wear the Desert AOR pattern. but anyone Stateside or a place where woodland camo is needed, they will be wearing the woodland AOR pattern.

Kinda stupid, I know. But the SEAL's kinda do what they want. And they want the desert pattern to be theirs alone.

navjax
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by navjax on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Misanthropic_Gods wrote:
    navjax wrote:
    Misanthropic_Gods wrote:

Well, the AOR2 is going to be replacing the Woodland Camouflage Utility Uniform (Aka Woodland BDU's) but the Desert CUU (Desert BDU's) I guess is going to be the same.

People who are deployed over to the gulf or any desert region are going to wear the old 3-Color Desert pattern as they are now, while only NSW will be able to wear the Desert AOR pattern. but anyone Stateside or a place where woodland camo is needed, they will be wearing the woodland AOR pattern.

Kinda stupid, I know. But the SEAL's kinda do what they want. And they want the desert pattern to be theirs alone.
    Well i'll be happy just to get the new woodland. It's kinda funny how the Seals want to do their own thing. The Marines do to but they have no problem handing out MARPAT to everyone. Lol

fox
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by fox on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Probably should make a thread in the "what is this section" but anyone know what this is? A modified crye combat top?
    http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Misanthropic_gods/090428-N-4205W-215.jpg

kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell on Mon May 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Thought I would add to this thread with a good picture of Vice Admiral Robert S. Harward Jr. (center) wearing badged AORI/Digi2 camouflage. Vice Admiral Harward currently serves as the Deputy Commander of United States Central Command. Vice Admiral Harward has served with distinction in almost every area of Naval Special Warfare (NSW) to include DEVGRU. Most recently previous to his current assignment the Vice Admiral served as Deputy Commanding General of Joint Special Operations Command and also commanded NSW Task Forces and other combat elements during deployments to both Iraq and Afghanistan. Note the desert Don't Tread on Me flag on the right sleeve and what appears to be an OEF, Joint Special Operations Task Force - Afghanistan patch on the Vice Admiral's left sleeve.

Photo is DOD.

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.

sh4pka
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by sh4pka on Mon May 21, 2012 6:04 pm

--Thanks, Kriegsmodell. I kept seeing "NSW," and it was causing me to wonder. I live very close to NSWC, and "Surface Warfare" is a bit broader of a term. Thank you for the clarification.

kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:
    Misanthropic_Gods wrote:

Chief Petty Officer (SEAL) Nathan H. Hardy, DEVGRU Gold Team. Killed in Action, 4 February 2008 during combat operations in Iraq. CPO Hardy was killed by small arms fire while trying to pull to safety a wounded fellow Team member who was under direct and continuous enemy fire.

RIP Warrior, Never Forget - Never Forgive - TSAF .......

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.

mollemonkeytactical

Post by mollemonkeytactical on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Hello all, I saw this thread and decided to join to share some information on the subject of AOR1 vs Desert MARPAT as I too was looking for a solid answer on the difference. I have found through a bit of research and some side by side comparison that the 2 patterns are actually the same. Aside from one small color difference. Interestingly enough, the patterns in CADPAT, MARPAT D&W, AOR1&2, NWU I, and UCP are all the same screen derived from the original CADPAT uniform. All are just in different color schemes. Touching more on the color difference, it lies in one of the tans in the background.

To answer the question of why the Seals exclusively use AOR1 tot he rest of the navy, it is because the Marines allowed the Navy to put AOR1 and 2 into service. But they didn't want there to be an indistinguishable appearance between USMC and NAVY troops. AOR2 was different enough from woodland MARPAT that the USMC had no reservations on how the Navy distributed and issued it to its troops. AOR1 on the other hand was so easy to mix up due to it's near exact color scheme, that the USMC requested the NAVY restrict its use only to SEALS to avoid confusion in theater and by the general public (not that they know the difference anyway).

I will add to this post soon with some more info on the 2 and what makes them different. As well as some of the sources I used to find this information.

Darktrooper

Post by Darktrooper on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:07 am

mollemonkeytactical wrote:Hello all, I saw this thread and decided to join to share some information on the subject of AOR1 vs Desert MARPAT as I too was looking for a solid answer on the difference. I have found through a bit of research and some side by side comparison that the 2 patterns are actually the same. Aside from one small color difference. Interestingly enough, the patterns in CADPAT, MARPAT D&W, AOR1&2, NWU I, and UCP are all the same screen derived from the original CADPAT uniform. All are just in different color schemes. Touching more on the color difference, it lies in one of the tans in the background.

To answer the question of why the Seals exclusively use AOR1 tot he rest of the navy, it is because the Marines allowed the Navy to put AOR1 and 2 into service. But they didn't want there to be an indistinguishable appearance between USMC and NAVY troops. AOR2 was different enough from woodland MARPAT that the USMC had no reservations on how the Navy distributed and issued it to its troops. AOR1 on the other hand was so easy to mix up due to it's near exact color scheme, that the USMC requested the NAVY restrict its use only to SEALS to avoid confusion in theater and by the general public (not that they know the difference anyway).

I will add to this post soon with some more info on the 2 and what makes them different. As well as some of the sources I used to find this information.

Before Posting any further please post an introduction in the introduction section per forum policy. Thanks

Current date/time is Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:06 am