OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Nkomo
usall
ripcord56
Mercenary25
RedLegGI
Zeked
Alec51198
11 posters

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's

Alec51198
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's Empty How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's

Post by Alec51198 Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey guys, I have ran into a problem. I have ran out of hanging space for my collection of BDU's, etc. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on how to fold, store, anything of the sort. Thanks!
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's Empty Re: How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's

Post by Zeked Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:16 pm

I just fold them up and store them in plastic storage containers.  I give each container a name and keep a list of what each tub contains and then store them that way.  Any quality pieces I leave out and/or store them in garment bags.  

Here is an example of the containers I prefer.  I tend to colored (versus clear) plastic and with the lids attached.  Plus they pretty durable and I only buy them at thrift stores for a few dollars.  Anyway it is a nice problem to have - too many DCU's!  Best!

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's Storag10

* Picture from Global Industries. All credit for the picture is theirs.
    RedLegGI
    RedLegGI

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's Empty Re: How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's

Post by RedLegGI Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Sadly right now most of mine are in a pile, similar to the shape they would naturally have in a duffle bag hehehe. But as stated above, I'm planning on putting them in to plastic totes folded/labelled.
    Alec51198
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by Alec51198 Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks guys, I will probably pick up a few of those kinds of totes and see how they work out. Thanks again!
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Or buy the commercial hanger rack.

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's 01013
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Oh my....that is an older picture. That rack now is completely filled on top AND on the bottom.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:42 pm

How about an updated picture, Arch?! Smile
    Alec51198
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by Alec51198 Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Why did you post that, you just made me cry.... I would love to see an updated picture though! On the other hand where did you buy that rack? It seems like the perfect thing for my room. Thanks!
    ripcord56
    ripcord56
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

Post by ripcord56 Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Now that is a rack.

Years ago I used 2 huge racks that I appropriated from a garment business in the  Garment District in NY City. They held close to 75 garments apiece, or more.

Huge simple tube steel  racks with wheels that were used to move large amounts of garments from manufacturers to display facilities.  I believe they can still be seen being pushed down the wide
    streets of Manhattan by sweating garment workers.
    RedLegGI
    RedLegGI

Post by RedLegGI Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:18 pm

This is the first time I've ever legitimately said 'Nice Rack'...
    Alec51198
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by Alec51198 Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try to hunt one of those things down.
    Alec51198
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by Alec51198 Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Sorry for making this a double post mods. Here is the current state of my BDU collection, I'm flooding over just a bit. This was the reason of this topic. It seemed like one day I had enough coats to fill the rack, and then the next day I was flooded with BDU's. After I get these organized I will start to post more pics up. If you guys see anything you would like to see, just let me know!
    Alec51198
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by Alec51198 Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:09 pm

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's 057
    How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's 056
    How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's 055
    How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's 054
    How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's 053
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Good start for a 15 year old! You did right thing by start collect BDU and DCU when it is affordable.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:46 am

That rack is indeed one of the wheeled ones.  I actually have two wheeled racks and one stationary rack that I use to hang my US uniforms on.  I bought two of mine at the flea market and got the other from my grandmother.

Also, my wife built me two 13 foot racks (26 foot of storage space) in my "war room".   The rack is strong enough to handle gear, ghillie suits, and uniforms.  Very sturdy.

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's 01012

Last edited by nkomo on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Alec51198
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by Alec51198 Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:Good start for a 15 year old! You did right thing by start collect BDU and DCU when it is affordable.

Thanks Mercenary25, I keep trying to tell my mother that they will be worth something one day, but mothers can be difficult to reason with sometimes.

Also nkomo that is an awesome rack, I wish I had a war room, right now I just have a messy room haha.
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:Or buy the commercial hanger rack.

This is just a thing of beauty!
    Alec51198
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by Alec51198 Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Zeked wrote:
    Mercenary25 wrote:Or buy the commercial hanger rack.

This is just a thing of beauty!  
    I can only dream of having that many good DCU's
    usall
    usall

Post by usall Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi,

I use this :

http://www.ikea.com/be/fr/catalog/products/30246859/#

Exemple of my collection..

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's Dsc05210

Usall Wink
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Usall,
     I tried some racks like you posted.  However, I broke a couple of those with the sheer weight and numbers of DCUs I hung on them.  I have to have  commercial racks to hold my uniforms.

Another system I utilize is the over-the-door hooks.  They can hold a substantial amount of weight and are good to augment existing racks.  To give you an idea of how many uniforms are hanging there, I'd estimate 70 to 75 jackets and sets.  All that is held by three door hooks.  

Yes...most of those uniforms pictured are modifieds.

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's 00210
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Here are the two different types of door hooks.   I have tried both and find the double hook to fit my needs better because it can handle more weight and hold more uniforms.

These hooks can be found at just about any dollar store or at Walmart.  They aren't very expensive and cost less than $5.  I have broken one, but that was because the weld that held the hook to the hanging part was shoddy.

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's 00211

For my collection, I have three commercial clothing racks, two 13 foot long pipes, and five of the door hooks. I am looking at buying another two commercial racks in the future.

Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:19 am

usall wrote:Hi,

I use this :

http://www.ikea.com/be/fr/catalog/products/30246859/#

Exemple of my collection..

How to store BDU's, DCU's, and ACU's Dsc05210

Usall Wink
    Very very nice setup! Plus all on wood hangers - that is great! Some really nice looking DCU's you have there!
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Very nice, usall. Wood hangers is a nice touch.
    ripcord56
    ripcord56
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

Post by ripcord56 Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Wooden hangers are the best, but be certain they have sturdy metal hooks that go through the entire hanger.

Some cheaper wooden hangers have a short metal hook that are only partially inserted, or screwed  into the wooden part of the hanger.

If overloaded, or if too many sets are packed too closely together,or frequently taken on and off the rack, they will fail....

Shortcuts are always more costly in the long run..
    usall
    usall

Post by usall Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Zeked wrote:
    usall wrote:

Usall Wink
    Very very nice setup!  Plus all on wood hangers - that is great!  Some really nice looking DCU's you have there!
    Mercenary25 wrote:Very nice, usall. Wood hangers is a nice touch.
    Thanks you !Very Happy 

The hangers come from ikea.

Usall Wink
    Alec51198
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by Alec51198 Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Very nice collections. I like all your DCU's Usall and thanks for the idea. nkomo, that is a nice collection, I have similar hooks but they mount directly to the wall. When I anchor them to a stud they work pretty well , but if not they don't work at all, but I don't have to many studs that I can access with furniture in the way so I only have three. The three that I have I usually use for display but I never thought abut storing stuff but it seems like a good idea. Thanks Guys!
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:36 am

Alec51198 wrote:Very nice collections. I like all your DCU's Usall and thanks for the idea. nkomo, that is a nice collection, I have similar hooks but they mount directly to the wall. When I anchor them to a stud they work pretty well , but if not they don't work at all, but I don't have to many studs that I can access with furniture in the way so I only have three. The three that I have I usually use for display but I never thought abut storing stuff but it seems like a good idea. Thanks Guys!

I had seriously considered using the wall mounted hooks, but my collection gets moved around relatively often. The door hooks work well for me because every room in my house has at least two closets and that means two doors I can use. I can normally get two hooks per door.

johnnyk
    johnnyk
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by johnnyk Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:50 am

ACU's can basically be balled up and thrown as they are literally a hunk of garbage. In my opinion hope this isnt news to anyone nor hope it doesnt offend anyone.
    vicka1971
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by vicka1971 Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:26 am

John, 100% agree. Vitalis Very Happy
    bryanbg
    bryanbg
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by bryanbg Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:16 pm

I bought several of those extra large Ziplock vacuum seal bags, layed my folded items within then sealed shut. These I then put in large plastic totes for ease of stacking.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:38 am