OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Ben
airborne1968
aussie digger
Bluehawk
kriegsmodell
9 posters

Karzai Orders U.S. Special Operations Forces Out of Key Afghan Province (Wardak)

kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Karzai Orders U.S. Special Operations Forces Out of Key Afghan Province (Wardak) Empty Karzai Orders U.S. Special Operations Forces Out of Key Afghan Province (Wardak)

Post by kriegsmodell Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 am

Karzai orders U.S. Special Operations forces out of key Afghan province
    from The Washington Post

By Richard Leiby and Ernesto Londoño, Published: February 24

KABUL — Afghan President Ha­mid Karzai on Sunday ordered all U.S. Special Operations forces to leave a strategically important province in two weeks, alleging that they had been involved in the torture and murder of “innocent people.”

Karzai’s blunt statement, which did not provide specific evidence or cite judicial determinations, also demanded an immediate halt to Special Operations activity in the province, Wardak, which lies southwest of Kabul and has been contested by Taliban fighters and other insurgents.

The announcement appeared to come as a surprise to American military officials, and it remained unclear whether Karzai would follow through on the order or would perhaps, as with past edicts aimed at restricting U.S.-led operations, reach a negotiated agreement with NATO forces.

Still, the order came at a sensitive time, with the withdrawal of conventional forces from Wardak and elsewhere in Afghanistan making the role played by Special Operations forces more critical. It also threatened to cast a pall over deliberations between the United States and its allies over the scope and price tag of the West’s commitment to Afghanistan after NATO’s mandate for operations in the country expires at the end of 2014.

Last week, Karzai banned his forces from calling in NATO airstrikes in populated areas, citing civilian casualties. But Sunday’s statement was Karzai’s most acerbic in recent months against the international community, following a period during which the Afghan president has been largely conciliatory with the foreign nations that pay the biggest portion of his government’s bills.

“After a thorough discussion, it became clear that armed individuals named as U.S. special force[s] stationed in Wardak province engage in harassing, annoying, torturing and even murdering innocent people,” the statement said.

“A recent example in the province is an incident in which nine people were disappeared in an operation by this suspicious force,” the statement said. In a separate incident, “a student was taken away at night from his home,” it said, and his “tortured body with throat cut was found two days later under a bridge.”

The U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan said in a statement that it takes abuse allegations seriously, adding: “This is an important issue that we must discuss with our Afghan counterparts.”

The controversy over the role of U.S. Special Operations forces in Wardak and other provinces has been brewing for some time. After President Obama announced this year that U.S. forces would pull back from Afghan villages, senior Afghan officials said they were under the impression that the troops pulling out would include the U.S. Special Operations forces units that have built and trained the small village militias that form the Afghan Local Police.

U.S. officials pushed back on that interpretation, arguing that it would be unwise to abort the training mission.

Karzai has long viewed the Afghan Local Police with suspicion because of fears that they operate largely outside the country’s formal defense command structure. Afghan villagers and human rights activists, meanwhile, have long accused the force of rape and other abuses.

The 18,500-strong force provides security in 94 districts. U.S. commanders see the ALP model as an essential pillar of their drawdown strategy.

The local groups are expected to keep areas secure in regions where the U.S. military is thinning out and the Afghan government has limited or no presence.

At a news conference Sunday, Karzai spokesman Amal Faizi sought to clarify the president’s statement, saying the abuse allegations were connected to Afghans working “within these special forces groups.”

“Those Afghans in these armed groups who are working with the U.S. Special Forces, the defense minister asked for an explanation of who they are,” Faizi said. “Those individuals should be handed over to the Afghan side so that we can further investigate.”

It was not immediately clear which Afghan units were involved in the alleged incidents.

The gradual withdrawal of U.S. and NATO troops and mild winter weather have allowed insurgents to be more active in various parts of Afghanistan than in past years.

On Sunday, Taliban suicide bombers targeted Afghan security forces in three separate attacks.

One of the attacks targeted a building used by the country’s main intelligence agency, the National Directorate of Security, in the eastern city of Jalalabad, Afghan officials said. Two intelligence agency guards died when a bomber exploded a vehicle near the building, they said.

Hours later, a second bomber tried to storm a police post in Logar province, south of Kabul. Police fatally shot the bomber, but he was able to detonate his explosives, killing one officer.

In an evidently coordinated attack in Logar, a suicide attacker set off his bomb near a group of police officers, killing one and a civilian, authorities said.

The Taliban asserted responsibility for the attacks in Jalalabad and Logar province.

In Kabul, security forces killed a man inside a sport-utility vehicle. They suspected the man was planning to stage an attack in front of a branch of the intelligence directorate in an area where several Western embassies are based.

Sayed Salahuddin in Kabul contributed to this report.

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    Bluehawk
    Bluehawk
    Corporal
    Corporal

Karzai Orders U.S. Special Operations Forces Out of Key Afghan Province (Wardak) Empty Re: Karzai Orders U.S. Special Operations Forces Out of Key Afghan Province (Wardak)

Post by Bluehawk Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 am

Happy to oblige, Mr. President.
    Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Karzai Orders U.S. Special Operations Forces Out of Key Afghan Province (Wardak) Empty Re: Karzai Orders U.S. Special Operations Forces Out of Key Afghan Province (Wardak)

Post by Mercenary25 Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:29 pm

I think Karzai eventually will regret this decision.
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm

When you consider the blood and treasure that we and our coalition allies have lost there and the assistance that has been given to his nation and him personally, some of his words and accusations really stir me up. I think that was said as civilly as possible ......

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    aussie digger
    aussie digger

Post by aussie digger Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:21 pm

As disturbing as his actions and accusations are it wasnt hard to see something like this was coming. I think he has been looking for an excuse for a while. I also think that they will come to regret this move.
    I guess he has forgotten who was standing by his side in 2001...
    airborne1968
    airborne1968
    Staff Sergeant Class II
    Staff Sergeant Class II

Post by airborne1968 Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:27 pm

“A recent example ...a student was taken away at night from his home...tortured body with throat cut was found two days later under a bridge.” Sounds a lot like the work of an Afghan or Pakistani Taliban.

Karzi knows Logar and Wardak are gateways to Kabul and he must control them otherwise the TB will hold the avenues into the captial. They alwayd use routes from PAk that extend thru these two provinces to supply their fighters conducting attacks in Kabul. The TB fear the ALP in these provinces because the ALP are disrupting TB operations, so perhaps the ALP are more successful then we know and this statement has deeper meanings:

-places AFGAN units in the lead for operations so he can ensure they can handle the mission without out help.

-the statement actually seeks AFGHAN SF individuals and not really US SF personnel

-it shows Karzais strength to everyone in AFG because, after all, he will left to fight the TB once we are gone.

Tom
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:40 pm

“After a thorough discussion, it became clear that armed individuals named as U.S. special force[s] stationed in Wardak province engage in harassing, annoying, torturing and even murdering innocent people,” the statement said.

Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Let's show ourselves the door, then.

The sacrifices made to keep him stable since 2001 makes this move a huge slap in the face to all who've given their lives to make it possible. He'll be singing a different tune after we leave next year...

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Just a food for thought, could it be a stunt pulled by Karzai to show his people his strength and that Afghanistan can take matters in their own hands?

Though, I agree with Ben that it is a slap in face after all the SF have done for him.

Last edited by Mercenary25 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Mercenary25 wrote:Just a food for thought, could it be a stunt pulled by Karzai to show his people his strength and that Afghanistan can matters in their own hands? Though, I agree with Ben that it is a slap in face after all the SF have done for him.

Agreed, part of Tom's point (Post n 6) as well ......

Mercenary25
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Tom, It looks like you hit a nail about ALP.

Article: https://oefoif.forumotion.net/t4831-article-afghan-local-police-key-to-success-against-taliban#34189

This article is from March 2012. It looks like Karzai had been wanting to get rid of US SOF for a while. Quoted from the article:
    Mr. Karzai has demanded an end to nighttime raids by U.S. special-operations forces. In the wake of the slaughter of 17 civilians this month, he also has called for NATO troops to leave all villages.
    Zeked
    Zeked
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Zeked Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:04 pm

I tend to lean towards a politician playing to his base. Insulting to use absolutely but to the Afghan nationals it probably plays well. Like said above, soon enough the ISAF will be gone and he needs to survive. Just my thoughts guys.
    m1ashooter
    m1ashooter

Post by m1ashooter Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 am

I do not know why we are still there. I as a taxpayer and father demand we come home and let them kill each other. If we need to kill them for any reason let the drone guys do it or better yet a MMIII Mk12a nuclear weapon.

For those who have given their time, sweat and blood in this country can any of you tell me why we need to remain there.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:32 pm

All I am going to say is that Karzai has most certainly forgotten who helped him get to power and sustained his power in Afghanistan. This is a slap in the face of every Special Forces soldier who has ever sweated, bled, and died in Afghanistan.

I used to have the utmost respect for Karzai, but not after this. This is purely a political move on the part of the President of Afghanistan. I wonder what he thinks will happen when the US and ISAF pulls out next year? I can assure you that without our help, Karzai will be out of power or dead within a year.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am