OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
aussie digger
Nkomo
6 posters

Muqtada-al-Sadr pictures

Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Muqtada-al-Sadr pictures Empty Muqtada-al-Sadr pictures

Post by Nkomo Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:17 pm

These are a grouping of pictures captured in Iraq. As you can tell, these are pictures of Muqtada-al-Sadr and his father Grand Ayatollah Mohammad Mohammad Sadeq al-Sadr. Both individuals claim a direct lineage back to the Prophet Muhammad.

Sadeq al-Sadr and two of his sons were murdered on February 19, 1999 and this act was thought to have been perpurtrated by the Baath Party and Saddam Hussein.

Sadeq-al-Sadr was a very popular and very influential Shi'a leader in Iraq. Following the fall of Baghdad, the majority-Shi'a suburb of Revolution City (Saddam City) was unofficially but popularly renamed to Sadr City in his honor. Sadr City was the first part of Baghdad to overthrow the Baath Party in 2003.

After the fall of the Saddam government in 2003, Muqtada al-Sadr organized thousands of his supporters into a political movement, which includes a military wing known as the Jaysh al-Mahdi or Mahdi Army. His strongest support comes from the class of dispossessed Shi‘a, like in the Sadr City area of Baghdad. Many Iraqi supporters see in him a symbol of resistance to foreign occupation.

Muqtada al-Sadr is currently the leader of the Sadr-ist movement and bases his legitimacy upon his relationship to his father. He led a guerilla uprising against Coalition forces and the new Iraqi government as part of the Iraqi Insurgency between 2004 to 2008.

Muqtada-al-Sadr link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muqtada_al-Sadr

Mohammad Mohammad Sadeq al-Sadr link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Mohammad_Sadeq_al-Sadr

Mahdi Army link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdi_Army

Muqtada-al-Sadr pictures 00110
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Muqtada-al-Sadr pictures Empty Re: Muqtada-al-Sadr pictures

Post by Nkomo Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:33 pm

I am providing a close-up of this picture because of the imagery. You will notice Sadeq-al-Sadr sitting above the picture holding on to his iconic cane. Muqtada-al-Sadr is in the foreground holding on to his father's cane. In the background, you can see an army of men marching on top of the American flag. The marching men are holding an Iraqi flag, some sort of religious flag, and a banner of the Mahdi Army.

If you take time to really look at this picture, there is a lot going on. First off, Sadeq-al-Sadr is dead in this picture, but his son (Muqtada-al-Sadr) is holding on to the cane, which is showing he is being led by his father and that he is the rightful leader of the Sadrist. The army of men are part of the Mahdi Army, led by Muqtada, and are marching/walking/stomping on the American flag. The American flag is a symbol of US occupation of Iraq, which Muqtada was vehemently against. By the Mahdi Army soldiers carrying the Iraqi flag, a religious flag, and a Mahdi Army banner, they are showing that they will stand up and fight for the Iraqi people and nation.

Another way to look at it also, Muqtada-al-Sadr is in the front leading the fight and the dead Sadeq-al-Sadr is behind them in spirit.

Muqtada-al-Sadr pictures 00210
    aussie digger
    aussie digger

Post by aussie digger Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Great photos and information! I imagine items like this would be very rare, with the Mahdi army's reputation I wouldnt want to be caught with these pieces over there.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks, Jason. I don't think they are too common.
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Very rare and Simply outstanding!

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks, Lance.
    Col Kurtz
    Sergeant Class II
    Sergeant Class II

Post by Col Kurtz Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Very interesting explanation to help understand a little more this complex conflict. Thanks for the education.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Col Kurtz wrote:Very interesting explanation to help understand a little more this complex conflict. Thanks for the education.
    Thanks, Col. I am a teacher at heart and feel an explanation of the material goes a long way to help understanding.
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:13 pm

A little note, I am not sure if anyone else noticed, but the painting of Sadeq-al-Sadr is taken directly from the top left photograph of Sadeq.
    Static line
    Static line
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by Static line Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:48 am

aussie digger wrote:I imagine items like this would be very rare, with the Mahdi army's reputation I wouldn't want to be caught with these pieces over there.

I know this is a bit of an old post, but a lot of this type of stuff was actually quite common; in fact you might not want to be caught without these kind of items. Many secular-leaning/moderate Shia Iraqis possessed JAM material as a way of showing loyalty and avoiding potential consequences for not being a 'team player'.. Home visits from Jaish Al-Mahdi were not unheard of, especially in Baghdad where Shia and Sunni lived in somewhat close proximity. Remember, this was also the Nation that had just left the era of Saddam's spies and neighborhood informants. Perceptions were important.

Possessing JAM material by Iraqis was generally not illegal in OIF/OND, absent a few exceptions which became increasingly fewer as the conflict progressed.

I might have some pictures around here somewhere, I'll try and find a few and post them.
    Darktrooper
    Darktrooper

Post by Darktrooper Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:37 am

Static line wrote:
    aussie digger wrote:I imagine items like this would be very rare, with the Mahdi army's reputation I wouldn't want to be caught with these pieces over there.

I know this is a bit of an old post, but a lot of this type of stuff was actually quite common; in fact you might not want to be caught without these kind of items.  Many secular-leaning/moderate Shia Iraqis possessed JAM material as a way of showing loyalty and avoiding potential consequences for not being a 'team player'.. Home visits from Jaish Al-Mahdi were not unheard of, especially in Baghdad where Shia and Sunni lived in somewhat close proximity. Remember, this was also the Nation that had just left the era of Saddam's spies and neighborhood informants. Perceptions were important.  

Possessing JAM material by Iraqis was generally not illegal in OIF/OND, absent a few exceptions which became increasingly fewer as the conflict progressed.

I might have some pictures around here somewhere, I'll try and find a few and post them.

Welcome to the forum, please post an introduction in the introduction section per forum fules.

Static line
    Static line
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by Static line Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:33 pm

As I mentioned above.. this cassette tape and jacket was located in the Tharwa neighborhood of eastern Baghdad. It was a fairly common occurrence for Coalition Force members to find this, or similar, items during the search of a home. Often they were co-mingled in an entertainment center with Shi'a religious audio CDs/Cassettes/DVDs..

Muqtada-al-Sadr pictures Tape_zpse0f09831

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:10 am