ESAPI plates laws

wasntme
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

ESAPI plates laws

Post by wasntme on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:15 am

I have the chance to pick up 2 plates and was wondering if there are any laws on buying /owning these?
    Thank You
    David

Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Re: ESAPI plates laws

Post by Mercenary25 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:40 am

They are controlled items.

Darktrooper

Post by Darktrooper on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:47 am

If they are military SAPI or ESAPI plates, they are a controlled item. Meaning, if they are on the civilian market, they are considered STOLEN by the Government. I would run fast and hard away from them, nkomo can attest, Federal law enforcement is getting involved, and has been seen snooping around military swap meets and flea markets.

wasntme
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by wasntme on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Yes they are military was a craigslist deal but think ill walk away.Might sound stupid but he had a dirt cheap price on them so really think it might be some kind of sting.He has a few items for sale also but just the cheap price makes me wonder.

Thanks guys
    david

CamoDeafie
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by CamoDeafie on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:01 pm

it does depend. if they have USGI contract numbers; like SP0-100-something, or maybe a NSN number; then yes it is controlled/govt property...BUT if it has none of those, and just "Made in USA", along with the same sort of thing like NIJ levels and such, then it is OK. that said, these Civilian/Police models are much more expensive and now harder to get these days and the USGI things are to be avoided due to the whole federal/government thing.

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:56 pm

Darktrooper wrote:If they are military SAPI or ESAPI plates, they are a controlled item. Meaning, if they are on the civilian market, they are considered STOLEN by the Government. I would run fast and hard away from them, nkomo can attest, Federal law enforcement is getting involved, and has been seen snooping around military swap meets and flea markets.

I absolutely will attest to what Darktrooper has said. STAY AWAY!

wasntme
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by wasntme on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:57 pm

ok thanks guys,not happy about it but will let them go.
    David

ArchiaskCommando
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by ArchiaskCommando on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:26 pm

What would you do if you ended up with SAPI or ESAPI plates? Could you turn them in Anonymously to your local Police Station? I've been curious as to what you could legally do with them without sacrificing your Armor and inserts in the process and be detained for questioning >.>

CamoDeafie
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by CamoDeafie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:52 pm

if the person is a veteran, or was issued them, then it is entirely up to them to either turn them to their materials command/quartermaster or keep them.

Darktrooper

Post by Darktrooper on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:45 pm

CamoDeafie wrote:if the person is a veteran, or was issued them, then it is entirely up to them to either turn them to their materials command/quartermaster or keep them.

Prior to leaving a unit or, in the case of the reserves/ NG you are supposed to turn them in before clearing the unit. When I demobbed in dec 2006 the first that was asked for when we hit Base was our ESAPI plates.

CamoDeafie
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by CamoDeafie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:55 pm

what about those who managed to keep them? I really am curious now... lol.

EDIT: hmm I just thought of something. in between deployments and the vet has old ESAPI/SAPI plates and is getting new ones, but isn't asked to return the old ones?

I've been seeing a few USGI plates being sold by veterans on craigs...and then the civilian plates which are double the MSRP prices affraid

ArchiaskCommando
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by ArchiaskCommando on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 pm

I know the plates MUST BE TURNED IN. But I am asking, if you are buying Armor, and you buy the plates in the sale before you had knowledge of the laws. WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THEM LEGALLY? Please answer my Question as asked.

Ben

Post by Ben on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:48 pm

ArchiaskCommando wrote:I know the plates MUST BE TURNED IN. But I am asking, if you are buying Armor, and you buy the plates in the sale before you had knowledge of the laws. WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THEM LEGALLY? Please answer my Question as asked.
    Wind your neck in, mate... Google is a powerful tool. I'm fairly certain a search for "ESAPI plate ownership/laws" would yield much usable information.

Here, I already searched it for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ESAPI+plate+ownership&rlz=1C1JUFK_enUS499US499&oq=ESAPI+plate+ownership&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Current date/time is Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:16 am