Veterans Appreciation Day Display - May 19, 2012

nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Veterans Appreciation Day Display - May 19, 2012

Post by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 7:34 am

Well.....I have been working on this display since February of this year. For the last two years, our local museum has put on a Veterans Appreciation event for the community.

It usually starts on a Thursday evening with the showing of a WW2 era movie. This year they showcased Irving Berlin's "This is the Army".

Friday evening consists of a local veteran speaking of his or her experiences. This year they had the son-in-law of a B-25 pilot talk about his father-in-law's experiences during WW2.

This year, Saturday was a military memorablilia show. The event organizer had envisioned setting up a show where collectors would bring in their collectibles to share with the public. Originally, 30 people had signed up to display their items, but when Saturday arrived, only 11 people showed up to display their items. My dad and I had 4 tables between us and if we hadn't of showed up, they would have a small square of tables in the center of the room with displays.

My dad did three displays and they were: "Guns of the Little Big Horn", "Guns of Stalingrad", and "Civl War Rifles Identified to a Specefic Individual, State, or Battle".

I did "US Special Forces in Afghanistan 2001 to 2003". Other than the museum, I was the only exhibitor who had a mannequin display. Everyone else had their uniforms on the table for display. There is nothing wrong with that, but nothing beats a fully dressed mannequin. Very Happy

I got a lot of "neat display" or "cool", but only one question from a spectator. This older lady walked up to me, pointed to one of my displays and said "I know those are the caps worn by the Mujahadeen because I saw them wear them when I was over there. What are they called?" I told her they are called pakols and they are the traditional headgear for the Afghans. She thanked me and walked away.

I had quite a few people take pictures. One of the picture takers was a member of the VA staff. She told me it was a great display.

I did not have any kids or adults ask silly questions. No smart -aleck comments. It was a GREAT first display.

Last edited by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 am; edited 2 times in total
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Re: Veterans Appreciation Day Display - May 19, 2012

Post by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 7:35 am

Close-ups.

MyZone
    Chief Warrant Officer Class III

Post by MyZone on Tue May 22, 2012 7:45 am

I posted a reply, but it disappeared. scratch

Anyway, You did a superb job ~ looks great. A great tribute to the "stabbers and jabbers".

I trust the interest in this genre will continue to blossom as time goes on.

Cheers ~
    MZ
    P-E
    ADMIN MODERATOR
    ADMIN MODERATOR

Post by P-E on Tue May 22, 2012 7:47 am

Nice looking display ! Thanks for posting pictures here !

"As you know, you go to war with the Army you have. They're not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time. You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up..." - Donald Rumsfeld (Camp Buehring, KU - Dec. 8, 2004)

See my current collection of desert SSI HERE
    See my current collection of desert Badges (ranks, qualification badges, Branch of Service) HERE
    See my files in PDF on scribd.com HERE
    See my collection of jackets HERE
    aussie digger

Post by aussie digger on Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 am

Arch. Great display!
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks for all the compliments, fellers. I have to admit, my wife was the one who built the mannequins for me and without her help, this display would have never happened.

Glad you all like the display. Very Happy
    MyZone

Post by MyZone on Tue May 22, 2012 7:54 am

I thought this looked too good to be done single-handed. No worry, my wife would do a better job than me on most display projects also.... takes a team albino

MZ~
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 7:55 am

MyZone wrote:I posted a reply, but it disappeared. scratch

Anyway, You did a superb job ~ looks great. A great tribute to the "stabbers and jabbers".

I trust the interest in this genre will continue to blossom as time goes on.

Cheers ~
    MZ
    The event was an almost WW2 centered deal. There were some Civil War items, but the bulk of it was WW2. There was interest in my items, but I don't think most people really knew what think or say.
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 7:57 am

MyZone wrote:I thought this looked too good to be done single-handed. No worry, my wife would do a better job than me on most display projects also.... takes a team albino

MZ~
    Exactly!
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 7:58 am

Since my dad's displays were out of the scope of this forum, I won't post them. However, if you'd like to see some of his displays, I did post them on IACMC.

As you can tell, my dad's passion is guns and mine are uniforms and gear.

Link: http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t6793-veterans-appreciation-day-display-may-19-2012
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell on Tue May 22, 2012 9:22 am

Outstanding Arch, very well done. What a great representation of early SOF folks in Afghanistan. The mannequins look great! I think that I need to put my better half in touch with yours. Congrats and kudos to both you and your Father for taking the time to honor our Veterans with these displays. My thoughts only ......

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    Beppe_goodoldrebel
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by Beppe_goodoldrebel on Tue May 22, 2012 10:43 am

Very nice! I really like the Pararescue mannequin with the SOE Medical Vest!

For the Seals mannequin , if I were you , I would rather use a 3 hole TC-2000 instead of the 1 hole.
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Beppe_goodoldrebel wrote:Very nice! I really like the Pararescue mannequin with the SOE Medical Vest!

For the Seals mannequin , if I were you , I would rather use a 3 hole TC-2000 instead of the 1 hole.
    I did research and the SEALs did use the RHINO mount. Thanks for the compliment!
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 12:54 pm

kriegsmodell wrote:

Outstanding Arch, very well done. What a great representation of early SOF folks in Afghanistan. The mannequins look great! I think that I need to put my better half in touch with yours. Congrats and kudos to both you and your Father for taking the time to honor our Veterans with these displays. My thoughts only ......

Thanks, Lance!
    Mercenary25
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Mercenary25 on Tue May 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Beautiful display! Can you repost it in my display ideas thread? Now imagine everyone on this forum combining our displays for one event...
    coolcav20
    Master Corporal
    Master Corporal

Post by coolcav20 on Tue May 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Congtrats Arch! The mannequins and the details are great
    MyZone

Post by MyZone on Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 pm

The sum of everyones displays would fill one table....two at most....

Right? Wink

MZ~
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 8:54 pm

MyZone wrote:The sum of everyones displays would fill one table....two at most....

Right? Wink

MZ~
    To be honest.....I think we could give the Special Operations Museum a run for their money, MZ! Laughing
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Tue May 22, 2012 8:54 pm

coolcav20 wrote:Congtrats Arch! The mannequins and the details are great
    Thanks, Nick!
    pz_gren
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by pz_gren on Wed May 23, 2012 6:41 am

Beautiful display !!
    usall
    Sergeant Class I
    Sergeant Class I

Post by usall on Wed May 23, 2012 9:00 am

Very nice display
    I really like the first model with my favorite team the Boston red sox drunken

Usall
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for the compliments, fellers. Very Happy

sh4pka
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by sh4pka on Wed May 23, 2012 11:24 am

--It really is a great display, Arch. The attention to detail-- outstanding. I think that bust-type mannequins look better than those with arms, or a head in this sort of context. Too much expression takes away, I think. "Less is more," so to speak. =]

I think that you chose quite wisely.
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Wed May 23, 2012 12:53 pm

sh4pka wrote:--It really is a great display, Arch. The attention to detail-- outstanding. I think that bust-type mannequins look better than those with arms, or a head in this sort of context. Too much expression takes away, I think. "Less is more," so to speak. =]

I think that you chose quite wisely.
    I am glad you like them. I enjoyed doing the display show, but felt that the majority of the collectors STILL view modern items as surplus. Those that did come over to talk and asked questions walked away with a greater appreciation of what the displays meant. Some of the stories behind the items I displayed are fascinating.

sh4pka
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by sh4pka on Wed May 23, 2012 1:02 pm

--Well, that's the thing, right? I mean-- you actually *know* the stories. There's a very important distinction there-- the difference between collecting, and curating.
    nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by nkomo on Wed May 23, 2012 1:36 pm

You are correct, Dan. Even though some of these items have been pieced together to forum a display, EACH piece has a story behind them and I have either a small tag or 3x5 index card with about 90% of my pieces that details the history of each piece.

Whenever I die and you all get some of my items, be sure to check the pockets or look for a tag. It'll tell you where it was bought, any history, etc. Laughing Laughing
    jagjetta
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post by jagjetta on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:45 am

What an impressive collection!  You should consider displaying at the Show of Shows in Louisville, KY sometime.  You really have a good representation of where militaria collecting hobby is headed in the years to come.  

Well done!  Thanks sol much for posting this. I found the array of material to be fascinating!

John A-G
    Longbranch
    Chief Master Corporal
    Chief Master Corporal

Post by Longbranch on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Wow... don't know how I missed this... What an awesome display. Very cool! Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top of the pile so i could see it!

Hey, is that Seal Team 3 helmet the same one you got from me? How did you decide to put it in that display?

Everything looks great! How did your wife make the mannequins? I totally need some for my stuff!

Great job Arch!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:08 am