OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Canadian Special Operations Regiment

ladrang
    ladrang
    2nd Lieutenant
    2nd Lieutenant

Canadian Special Operations Regiment Empty Canadian Special Operations Regiment

Post by ladrang Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 am

The Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)is a battalion-sized, high-readiness special operations unit part of CANSOFCOM. CSOR is capable of conducting and enabling a broad range of missions, including Direct Action (DA), Defence Diplomacy and Military Assistance (DDMA), Special Reconnaissance (SR) and Domestic Counter Terrorism (Dom CT).

The unit traces its roots to the First Special Service Force (FSSF), the fabled Canadian-American Special Forces unit that was stood-up in 1942 and earned the “Black Devils” moniker for daring night raids on German forces at the Anzio beachhead[2].

In April 2005, the Canadian government's new defence policy statement was made public. It included a concept of first responders for international tasks consisting of "special forces" (such as an expanded Joint Task Force 2) supported by one of the light battalions.

This concept of operations is similar to the Special Forces Support Group of the UK Special Forces Group who support high-level Special Forces units. This eventually led to the formation of the Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR), although CSOR was not to be limited to a supporting role.

"In the main, the Canadian Special Operations Regiment enables special operations and, specifically, JTF2; thus, JTF2 can focus on the precise tasks for which they are so well selected and trained. However, particularly in out-of-area operations, we see that the Canadian Special Operations Regiment would be the more appropriate organization to put to the task." (Colonel Barr, commander CANSOFCOM, in Proceedings of the Standing Senate Committee on National Security and Defence, 27 November 2006.)

Recruiting for the new unit took place in early 2006, and the first CSOR selection course took place with approximately 175 candidates.

On 13 August 2006, an official stand-up ceremony for the Canadian Special Operations Regiment took place at the unit's home station, Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Petawawa, with approximately 250 soldiers participating. The ceremony included a skills demonstration including rappelling from helicopters, and both static and freefall parachuting. It was also announced that the second training serial of CSOR recruits would take place in early 2007.

The regiment suffered its first casualty on 24 June 2011 : Master-Corporal Francis Roy died in a non-combat incident while deployed in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan.

The regiment has maintained a presence in Afghanistan since 2006, in support of the Canadian and coalition forces in the southern province of Kandahar.

The regiment also works with international partners, and helped in the training of the Jamaican Defence Force counter-terrorism assault team.

The regiment will be deployed with international partners to help fight al-Qaeda in Senegal. This is the first time in history that the Canadian Forces will participated in the Joint Combined Exchange Training held in Africa.

[url=Canadian Special Operations Regiment Csor-310]
    Easy Gee
    Easy Gee

Canadian Special Operations Regiment Empty Re: Canadian Special Operations Regiment

Post by Easy Gee Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Good info Will, they have a history to be proud of Wink

من السهل جي
    ladrang
    ladrang
    2nd Lieutenant
    2nd Lieutenant

Canadian Special Operations Regiment Empty Re: Canadian Special Operations Regiment

Post by ladrang Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Easy Gee wrote:Good info Will, they have a history to be proud of Wink

Hi gary, thanks for your comments.

Yes I m very proud of them Wink
    Recon369
    Recon369
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Recon369 Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:49 am

Their history also trace through the Canadian SAS 1947-49.
    Recon369
    Recon369
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Recon369 Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:52 am

The core group of our SAS had previously served in 1 SSF & British SAS in WW II.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:14 am

CSOR shares no connection to the Canadian SAS Company; they took on the FSSF history and battle honours.

Also, for those interested here's the history of the Canadian SAS
    http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/organization/specialforces/canadian_sas.htm

on topic...

CSOR Internet Site
    http://www.csor-rosc.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.asp
    CSOR Youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/CSORROSC/feed

CSOR Ethos

SERVICE - I have chosen to serve my country as a special operator
    I understand this ceaseless challenge will not be easy
    In all things, I will always choose the right path, overcoming every obstacle
    Whatever my rank, I am a leader and will take responsibility for my actions and my share of the mission

DUTY - I am first and foremost a warrior
    I will accept every challenge and never hesitate to volunteer for honourable service
    I will never forget my duty and responsibility both as a citizen of Canada and a member of CANSOF
    I will maintain the highest standards of integrity, courage, honour and loyalty

READINESS - I am now and always ready to deploy, operate, fight and serve
    I will focus on the mission first
    I have mastered my training, my weapons and myself
    I am committed to unceasing excellence as a special operator

COMMITMENT - I will endure hardship, necessary risk and deprivation without complaint
    I will always put my country, my mission, my colleagues and innocent civilians before myself
    I am ready to fight on any terrain, under any conditions, against any odds, whatever the risk
    I know that success in battle tomorrow is built on discipline, commitment and trust today

HONOUR - As a warrior diplomat, I will represent my country and train, teach, organize and protect
    I will uphold Canadian values: equality, freedom, respect and the rule of law
    In the face of enemies, bandits, and terrorists, I will support those ideals with force
    I have chosen to serve my country and will do so with intelligence, determination and honour
    rsunday
    rsunday
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by rsunday Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Hello
    Can anybody provide photos of current Canadian SOF patches (also from Afghanistan), like based on FSSF patch?
    Thanks
    Rafal

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm