OEF/OIF BOARD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

SF OEF Desert Tape

kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

SF OEF Desert Tape Empty SF OEF Desert Tape

Post by kriegsmodell Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:35 pm

This desert tape came in an OEF SF grouping that I purchased recently. It is velcro backed and theatre made.

Have been told that it is in Arabic. I am not sure if it is a name or something else? If anyone could help with a translation or direct me toward a resource I would be most appreciative .....

SF OEF Desert Tape Mvc-0112

Thanks in advance!

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.
    ladrang
    ladrang
    2nd Lieutenant
    2nd Lieutenant

SF OEF Desert Tape Empty Re: SF OEF Desert Tape

Post by ladrang Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Did you tryed google translation?? May be it could help you
    omaha
    omaha
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by omaha Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi, it could be written in pashto language too

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/pashto.htm
    omaha
    omaha
    Chief Corporal
    Chief Corporal

Post by omaha Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:58 am

Hi, using an arabic keyboard on the internet, I have tried to reproduced the tape.

This is the closest that I can get

كووسيرد
    كووسيرر
    كووسيرل

If you translate to english, it means nothing, so it could be a name or my translations are not good which is possible. It can also be another language using arabic script with some variation.

If someone wants to try

you read arabic from right to left

http://www.lexilogos.com/clavier/araby.htm
    http://www.lexilogos.com/arabe_alphabet.htm
    Nkomo
    Nkomo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by Nkomo Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:41 am

I have always thought it might have been a name tape. Whatever the case, it is a very nice tape and one that would fit well into any OEF collection!
    kriegsmodell
    kriegsmodell
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

Post by kriegsmodell Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:54 am

Thanks for the input guys! Omaha, your attempts with the Arabic keyboard yielded some examples that are very close to the script! Thanks for the effort. Looks as if we are narrowing this down toward being a name .....

For what it is worth, this is the first tape on velcro with this type of writing that I have located. I have DCUs with added sets of name and branch tapes or more commonly the Arabic is simple embroidered direct to the top (above or below the tapes). Also have this on headgear.

In my experience, uniforms with these additions are VERY hard to locate. My thoughts only .......

"I looked up at the bunker in front of me and saw a khaki-uniformed NVA with a pith helmet, chest web gear, green Bata boots and an AK, Type 56, and no other identifying insignia. Then I shot him." -- Sergeant Tony "Fast Eddie" Anderson, RT Kansas, TF1AE, 1971

"My God, where do we find these men?" - President George H. W. Bush commenting on 1st SFOD-Delta after the Operation Acid Gambit rescue of Kurt Muse.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me." - Inscription on the dog tag resting on the flag-draped homeward bound casket of an American Special Opearations warrior killed in action in Afghanistan, July 2005. - Dick Couch - Chosen Soldier

"Choosing to die resisting rather than live submitting they fled only from dishonor and to meet danger face to face." - Lieutenant General John F. Mulholland Jr, USASOC Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Ceremony, 25 May 2012.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am